Menace Zone Tour de Force

Some time ago I made the plan to hitch all the Renown items hidden in menace zones in one go (and a Tomb-Lion on top) on one of my accounts, and thereby test out what happens when you hit 8 on all four major menaces at (almost) the same time. I finally carried out the plan and am now duly putting in my report here ;)

The plan I laid out was thus:

1. assemble all of the following:
Summary

7 x Favours: Bohemians and Renown 40
7 x Favours: Constables and Renown 40
7 x Favours: Revolutionaries and Renown 40
7 x Favours: The Great Game and Renown 40
7 x Favours: Criminals and Renown 40
6 x Favours: Tomb-Colonies and Renown 40
1 x Memory of Light
0 x Horsehead Amulet
0 x Tomb-Lion

1. equip Scarlet Stockings, Modish Bonnet & Census and raise Scandal to 4(+3)
  2. equip Sober Dress and raise Suspicion to 8(-1)
  3. raise Nightmares and Wounds to 8 simultaneously by playing with your Starveling Cat
  4. immediately go to the Possessions tab and switch the Sober Dress for the Honey Barrel, thereby reaching Suspicion 8 & Scandal 8 with one fell wardrobe change
  5. go back to the Story tab and see what happens…

This is what it looked like:
menaces 4x8
(I happened to already have Scandal 5 at the time and ended up not using the Census at all)

And this is what happened:

1. I was immediately sent to the Slow Boat (Wounds). After picking up the Constables item and reducing Wounds to 0, I very shortly found myself back in my Lodgings, only to
  2. be immediately sent to the Tomb-Colonies (Scandal). I picked up my Moth & Lion and had another momentary visit to my Lodgings, before being whisked away
  3. to the Mirror-Marches (Nightmares). After collecting the Bohemians & Great Game renown items there, I hopped through a mirror to the Royal Beth for the Revolutionaries’ item and in the end restored my sanity, only to
  4. be arrested in my own Lodgings and finally sent to New Newgate for my sins (Suspicion).

So there’s possibly a hardwired Menace Pecking Order meaning that when in doubt you’re always sent to the Boatman first, but we’d need more data to confirm this.

Has anyone ever tried something similar(ly crazy)? :laughing:

15 Likes

Wow. Nice. I expected there to be a pecking order but I didn’t know what it was. I thought it might be the sidebar order, but looks like suspicion and nightmares are swapped.

1 Like

Yup, many years ago and I remember there you visited menace zones in an order.

But I love that people still do it! :D Way to go!

2 Likes

Wounds first definitely makes sense (even in the neath, dying has very definite body-and-soul separating effects), and I suppose the cops can’t arrest you until you’re actually in London and staying relatively still for a few minutes…

4 Likes

Yup, it seems so. I found the threads I was talking about: Quad Fail. And this one which is almost a decade old: Menace Priorities.

4 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for finding these! (Have we appropriately celebrated finally having a workable search function on our forums yet?)

Looking through these old threads, it appears Death usually came first - but not always - and the others could come up in any possible order!

3 Likes

Well, should be, but I remembered that NiteBrite left a comment to a thread that lead to the older one. This was somewhere when I started looking into the forum for older and weird threads so it didn’t took that much to find it while checking NB’s comments during that period.

Speaking of old forum threads I just remembered that this one exists: Worst luck and/or misclicks you've had?. Aaaah, what times when forums were active!

3 Likes

Just saying, so glad I did this while it was possible. :laughing:

… or has someone found a way to increase all four menaces to 8 simultaneously now that menace items have been changed?

1 Like

Well, there’s always Surrender your Health and I’m pretty sure some actions in menace areas increase other menaces. The Mirror-Marches have a few and there is one in the tomb-colonies that increases suspicion.

2 Likes

I believe one still can’t get sent to menace zones while in the messages or myself tabs, so menace raising actions via social actions or items should still be fine–so bring everything up to seven and then have an alt poison you/make a scientific study of your nightmares/suspicion & scandal dupes is probably a straightforward enough option

3 Likes

I recently discovered that you can’t be sent to the mirror-Marches while on an expedition in the forgetten quarter, since I reached 8 recently and it waited until I finished the expedition to send me there, but I don’t know if that’s a well known fact or if it works like that with the other menace’s.

1 Like

why, may I be informed of how to attain such items? I have some very good bohemian friends, you see, and I would quite like to strengthen my connection to them.

As always, there is a guide on the wiki for this.

1 Like

there really is a guide for everything, ain’t there? and thanks.

SMEN has been doing that multiple time throughout the quest

The reason, I think, that the Forums were more active then was that additions to content were rare, so we the players found other ways to amuse ourselves in Fallen London. Now, we have had a large amount of new content and people are taking time to sort it all out.

1 Like