Worst luck and/or misclicks you've had?

I recently discovered that a forum existed for Fallen London. It’s time for a discussion!

Every now and then you have runs of good and bad luck. Pretty normal stuff.

Good luck is simple enough. You pick up the occasional watch here and there. Perhaps an extremely profitable item conversion. Generally, you make more money and sometimes faster progress.

Bad luck, however, has a much wider array of results. It’s quite complex.

Sometimes, you get the worst luck at the worst possible time and you want to throw your phone across the room because you failed that 99% challenge that results in an instant trip to New Newgate when you’ve already got a huge amount of Suspicion. You had the right amount of CtD too.

The unexpected run of bad luck in the Flit or the Unterzee can be the worst, setting you back several actions because of challenges your skill and money could not mitigate. And if you’re like me, you despise action waste and the CP and Echo waste that comes with it.

I feel like London would not be that much different if there was some sort of high-stakes gambling system added. Like gambling Echoes or expensive items among other players. Basically like trying to get the yacht or the library but with the chance of real profit involved.

Anyway, here’s the question.

Londoners, what’s the absolute worst luck you’ve had while making important choices or going through long runs of storylines and other stuff?

If your luck is amazing and always works out where it matters, then there’s always the possibility that you misclicked something you really didn’t want to misclick, like accidental A Turncoat maxout while Echo grinding or perhaps something even worse. Tell us about it!

3 Likes

I might direct you here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic1754-commiseration-our-most-painful-failures.aspx

Ops, wrong one:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22284-worst-decision.aspx
EDIT: Hahahaha! Good comments below and thanks for pointing out! Meh, was to early for my brain to think right.
edited by Skinnyman on 6/7/2016

One of the comments here is kinda redundant…

Like the Fidgeting Writer storyline? ;)

Does Sunless Sea count?

Very soon after starting the game, I accidentally sold my Handsome Townhouse due to the GUI tabs overlapping with the button.

I was so upset that I dug into the hex values for the game, found the one storing Echoes, added 500 to the value, and bought the Townhouse again. I don’t consider this cheating, since there was no net change.[li]
edited by Saklad5 on 6/7/2016

Like the Fidgeting Writer storyline? ;)[/quote]

Have to agree with this one, I’ve spent more than 70 tales of terror and over 100 actions and I have never actually gotten anywhere near the end.
And I just saw some one get a coruscating soul with a single tale and I’m just here seething.
Not to mention I once failed 6 times in a role for a Luck challenge with pretty good odds, it’s like the chance system is plotting against me.

I never thought about doing the Fidgeting Writer story until I came across the forums. Actually, I still don’t. Some have profited, but most probably drowned in their own misery after ten or so failed grinds.

Ever since Polythreme I’ve never viewed “pretty good odds” as good. Gambling sounds fun and all but I doubt success will grant the ecstacy that, say, a Ratwork Watch would. Even if I don’t get it, I am well compensated anyway.

[quote=Inalynne]
Have to agree with this one, I’ve spent more than 70 tales of terror and over 100 actions and I have never actually gotten anywhere near the end.
And I just saw some one get a coruscating soul with a single tale and I’m just here seething.
Not to mention I once failed 6 times in a role for a Luck challenge with pretty good odds, it’s like the chance system is plotting against me.[/quote]I’ve had a 100 tales turn into nothing once. The wiki recommends batches of 1000 tales, but batches of 100 are alright if you can accept being slightly outside the margin of safety.

Probably my worst misclick so far… would be getting rid of a clipping of St. John’s lily. Which reminds me!
These are a great way to prevent misclicks:
fallingkitten’s Option Protector
Gazzien’s Opportunity Protector

[quote=knguy ]I never thought about doing the Fidgeting Writer story until I came across the forums. Actually, I still don’t. Some have profited, but most probably drowned in their own misery after ten or so failed grinds.

Ever since Polythreme I’ve never viewed &quotpretty good odds&quot as good. Gambling sounds fun and all but I doubt success will grant the ecstacy that, say, a Ratwork Watch would. Even if I don’t get it, I am well compensated anyway.[/quote]
Most discover that the epa is probably in the 1.6 range, despite what the wiki has to say, unless you already own all the prerequisites. That said, it’s definitely not a terrible way to grind, even if you aren’t blessed with the &quotlucky&quot template [not an actual thing that exists in the game].Better is the lethal prominence and Affair of the box, for reliability and theoretically useful payouts, but if you, say, need 50 searing enigmas, your options are pretty much run 8 expeditions or get 8 lenses of black glass, and i know which one had better epa, before the favors swap, and which one can be done at any time now. I honestly don’t get why they do the next stat, but fidgetting writer really is that good.

(Also note most in-game gambling is rigged in your favor- you make more when you win than you lose when you lose. The house always wins in the long run- if it’s worth the time invested.)

[quote=Erika][quote=Inalynne]
Not to mention I once failed 6 times in a role for a Luck challenge with pretty good odds, it’s like the chance system is plotting against me.[/quote]I’ve had a 100 tales turn into nothing once. The wiki recommends batches of 1000 tales, but batches of 100 are alright if you can accept being slightly outside the margin of safety.

Probably my worst misclick so far… would be getting rid of a clipping of St. John’s lily. Which reminds me!
These are a great way to prevent misclicks:
fallingkitten’s Option Protector
Gazzien’s Opportunity Protector[/quote]

Wow thanks I never knew there were extensions available! I feel like option protectors are a must-have for absent-minded people like the idiot I am. I’m fairly new to the game and have managed to sell my soul twice so far.
I do have 1000 tales sitting around but the thought of using so many actions really dissuades me. I guess I’ll save them until I finish progressing through mid-level.
I actually never realized we had a very detailed wiki and a dedicated community until two days ago, so I’m still learning!
Anyway, thanks again for the tips!

1 Like

Well, my turn!
I sold my 5th skull instead of making a lovely Cinder (collection purpose) two days ago… the search continues!

I have at one point in time gotten plagued by a popular song quality to 7 after repeatedly failing the &quotit could go either way&quot luck challenge on the &quota most vexing melody&quot about a dozen times in a row, this is very unlucky for action loss but not very unlucky echo wise since a success cleared all of the menace, i’m not sure this is even possible anymore due to the menaces auto-firing

Accidentally reverting back from Author to Journalist, having paid the painfully acquired exceptional story for the privilege. Don’t ask. My excuse is morning blear.

Not the best place to ask questions, but why didn’t you use the Unsigned Message card to advance your profession as I see you’re a PoSI? Did RNG decided you’re not worthy of it? :|

Only just got my first point of Notability, and the switch requires 2. And, you know, I wanted to do it the hard way…

Was very proud of managing to get my Hedonism and Austere each above 12 in pursuit of becoming a Scarlet Saint (the dead zone between Hedonism 10 and 12 was only bridgeable through a fate option at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose). Not wanting to let Hedonism fall back below 12 again, I decided to give myself a bit of buffer by kissing a counterfeit head of John the Baptist. I knew doing so would skyrocket my scandal and send me to the tomb colonies to have my hedonism cut in half, but I had Ablution Solutions stocked to bring it back down before hitting the story tab and triggering exile.

First drink didn’t quite do the trick so I clicked &quottry again&quot for another. Little did I know that I should have clicked the &quotmyself&quot tab instead, as &quottry again&quot apparently does send you off to exile. Now my Hedonism is plummeting straight down to 6, and I won’t be able to crack the 10 barrier until next February. At least I don’t lose Scarlet Saint status with the loss of Hedonism.

1 Like

=( (
That’s awful! I knew “try again” can’t save you, but I did not know the “myself” option.
You probably just saved (will save) my Hedonism.

[quote=Gonen]=( (
That’s awful! I knew &quottry again&quot can’t save you, but I did not know the &quotmyself&quot option.
You probably just saved (will save) my Hedonism.[/quote]

There’s still hope for you. Don’t end up like meeee! rattles only moderately extravagant ghostly chains

Sleepy morning. Sell a bunch of stuff. Buy goat. Go to Seeking Road. Go to drown secrets. Blacken mind. Bye bye 100 points of watchful. Goat shakes head in disgust.