Estival: The Sixth Coil is here!

I’m making a list of potential athletes that have been mentioned and which tournaments they might be here for:

Khanate
  • Irascible Architect: Imagination or Intellect?
  • Aquiline Assistant: possibly not an athlete
  • Diplomat-Engineer: Sciences?
  • Striking Protector: Body?
Tigers
  • Striped Officiant: possibly not an athlete
  • Pantherine Impressionist: Imagination?
  • Patient Mastermind: Intellect?
  • Armoured Veteran: Body?
Tomb-Colonists
  • Cackling Mechanic: Sciences?
  • Raucous Grandmaster: Body? (or Intellect, like a chess grandmaster?)
Koloman
  • Bespectacled Choreographer: Body?
  • Sun-Kissed Polymath: Intellect?
5 Likes

Could the “mystery announce” actually be for a new round of Mysteries?

Or was it the tabletop game, announced …

Nevermind duh.

1 Like

Once, I was at a point in Heart’s Desire where I had to make a choice, and one of the options gave an item that boosted two apparently-unused qualities called “Mithridacy” and “Kataleptic Toxicology”…

7 Likes

The last contingent of competitors have arrived. They come from the Surface, the Koloman Republic.

I like the aesthetics of the Surface folks and the Tigers. Those Khanate folks, I always pick their boats as a piracy target. And I don’t care about those Tomb bandage fetishists.

stripedofficiantkolomanrepublic

3 Likes

Well, now. This is interesting. Some of the best Surface lore I’ve seen in years. What in blazes is going on up there.

4 Likes

I find the Koloman Republic flag silly and funny, kind of like that duck comes from some sort of modern day meme. Is the flag any close to a real world flag? Can I find a real country that will match their freak flag-wise?

3 Likes

I don’t know that it’s at all related but I’m now reading about this guy with the same name who was an artist of the Vienna Secession movement:

5 Likes

@wajib maybe Mouldering Jack from the Tomb Colonist entrepreneurs and opportunism option will also participate?

2 Likes

Ahh I didn’t see that because my Kataleptic Toxicology is terrible, good catch!

2 Likes

A waterfowl in a bicorn is absolutely a strange flag, but I can think of a few contenders. I’m a big fan of Mexico’s flag, which features an eagle perched on a prickly pear devouring a serpent. The Commonwealth of Virginia’s flag features a heavily-armed woman standing on a dead king with one boob out. And the stage of Georgia used to have a flag that included an inset with five other flags in it!

6 Likes

I think the Koloman Republic is definitely connected to Austria-Hungary. Lots of different languages and accents, and “Koloman” is the German spelling of the Hungarian name “Kálmán”.

We know that in the Fallen London universe, Vienna has basically been a cauldron of Revolutionary movements. Probably there’s been a few secessions; or maybe even the Dual Monarchy has totally splintered into a host of new states (as it did after World War I in the real world).

7 Likes

“The festivities need to be visible.”

Anybody else getting a kind of queasy feeling…?

2 Likes

Allow me to point you in the direction of the Doubled Skull and encourage you not to sell yourself short in respect of the two hats problem.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Report_a_sighting_of_a_Fox_2

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s a typo or it has a deeper meaning, but the Koloman Republic is here to complete.

2 Likes

ITA there’s got to be an Austria-Hungary connection.

1 Like

I’m always glad to see a little nod to some meta-aspect of the game, like our extensive, collective, overseas orphan-trafficking business.

Edit: So we can’t go into the boating for ourselves? We have to throw in with one of the teams? And there isn’t even a London team? I don’t want to help any bloody foreigners.

6 Likes

You know, I’m actually really grateful for the options to have PTSD from the Starved War. My character lived through maybe one of the most horrible things to happen to the city of London, ever. They saw their friends melted into piles of liquid flesh. They SHOULD be traumatised! And I’m really glad that’s represented.

7 Likes

Reminder that there is another option which references to the Starved Men conflict, not yet updated to the Wiki. Of Stripes and Coil 102.

I’ll wait and see what others pick first while I wait for my actions to refill.

1 Like

quack quack let’s go duck gang

4 Likes

Is the only open event the boat race at Wolfstock? I definitely appreciate not having to pick which one to focus on.

4 Likes