Whitsun - Guide

Oops, sorry.

To upgrade your Chess Cap, you need to win with a considerable amount, I cannot recall how much was needed to increase the cap to 6, but to increase the cap to A Player of Chess 7 you need to win with at least 23 Positional Advantage and at most 6 Strategic Weakness. (As well as the quality A Player’s Studies.)

The easiest way of doing this is by using Vienna Openings at the beginning (4x Advantage/Vienna Opening) and then some Vital Intelligence (7x Advantage/Vital Intelligence) This is not cheap in any way.

Alternatively, if you played and won a lot of chess with other players, you can open the game with Chess Mastery: 100 for 3x Advantage at no cost
(I cannot verify if this is always the case or if there are rare successes which grant something else)
I will verify this later when I go back to Parabola

edit: fixed the values
edited by Honeyaddict on 5/14/2020

edit 2: apologies (I’ve only come back to this thread now) Chess Mastery: x is indeed the amount of Mundane games won, not as originally stated the Boatman’s game (which is The Boarman’s Opponent y)
edited by Honeyaddict on 5/20/2020

[quote=Honeyaddict]To upgrade your Chess Cap, you need to win with a considerable amount, I cannot recall how much was needed to increase the cap to 6, but to increase the cap to A Player of Chess 7 you need to win with at least 23 Positional Advantage and at most 6 Strategic Weakness. (As well as the quality A Player’s Studies.)

The easiest way of doing this is by using Vienna Openings at the beginning (4x Advantage/Vienna Opening) and then some Vital Intelligence (7x Advantage/Vital Intelligence) This is not cheap in any way.

Alternatively, if you played a lot of chess with the Boatman, you can open the game with Chess Mastery: 100 for 3x Advantage at no cost (I cannot do this as I didn’t die enough. So I cannot see if it has any actual cost.)

I will verify this later when I go back to Parabola

edit: fixed the values
edited by Honeyaddict on 5/14/2020[/quote]

As a matter of fact, to increase the Chess cap to 6, you actually need to lose (7 Strategic Weaknesses in the Endgame). Then for 7, you need to win as described.

Chess mastery is how many mundane games of chess you won. It’s not boatman games, I think.

That’s correct. Just as well, I think; I’ve had a much easier time beating the Boatman than my fellow human beings.

Bump.

Thank you for this guide, and thanks to everyone who posted links to other guides in this thread. I had an intense three weeks and so I could play only by blindly following these, for a while. It really made my Whitsun!

Whether enlightened or invigorated at any level, no augmentation options ever open up in the various locations—all I ever get is the generic choice that raises the Speculation about Whitsun quality.

Hatchlings are always first-tier companions no matter how enlightened or invigorated the egg.

I already blew the ha’pennies on something worthless, because I tried to have fun and was stupid enough not to consult the wiki first, so that’s not an option anymore.

What intermediate step am I missing that opens up the augmentation options?

I guess, you’re simply missing the correct place for augmentation - say, fully (3 times exactly) enlightened Aged can be augmented only in Flit and Mahogany Hall, and nowhere else. Not fully enlightened - no augments available at all, invigorated of different egg - different places.
If still no luck - I’d contact support. Though at this moment it may be too late to make a difference.
edited by Aro Saren on 5/20/2020

The path is: stock/vanilla egg -> fully invigorated or enlightened (three steps, until the option to invigorate/enlighten again disappears from the Bring Up You Egg storylet) -> go to one of two appropriate locations for the augmentations. Enlightening/invigorating is a preliminary step and not considered an “augmentation”; each of the four egg types (aged/scarlet both enlightened/invigorated) has only two corresponding augment locations out of the eight total. The tier of the companion depends on the number of augments - zero (i.e. fully invigorated/enlightened), one (doesn’t matter which one of the two), or both (the order doesn’t matter). The eggsperimental device counts as a “wildcard” augment that can be applied to any egg at any time (for a total of three augments, if you use the two egg-specific ones + the device). If you never got a single augment, then the hatchlings will always be lowest tier (enlightening/invigorating, since they’re not “augments”, don’t upgrade the hatchling).

The most likely issues I can think of is that you didn’t always finish the three stages of invigorating/enlightening (you HAVE to spend three actions there, until the option to keep doing it disappears), or that you didn’t check the right locations (again, out of 8 locations, 2 correspond to a given egg type, the other six only give you Speculation).
If you’ve double-checked that you did everything right, then it could of course be a bug - email support in that case.

As for the ha’pennies, it’s a shame, but now you know that checking the wiki or forums is always best when it comes to items that look like they might be unique, hard to obtain or Fate-locked. I learned that the hard way too, during the first Election when I had only recently started playing. It’s unfortunate that you pretty much have to spoil yourself but that’s how it works - leave forging ahead through brand new content to the adventurous types.

Thanks for the replies. It seems I’m doing all the correct prep work, but the places where the augmentation options should appear—Gain a Mirror-Shine Augmentation, for example, only allow the “Offer him the use of the egg that you have” for Speculation about Whitsun and nothing else.
edited by Blast_Fantastic on 5/20/2020

And you’re certain you’re trying to gain a Mirror-Shine Augmentation when you have precisely a (fully) Enlightened Aged egg? (And not invigorated, nor scarlet, nor only partially enlightened.) I’d email Failbetter, then.

What’s the result text? If you have the wrong augmentation for the location you’re in, then the result text should tell you the name of one of the two locations with the right augmentation.

Just to be sure I’ve gained Mirror-Shined aug now. So if there’s a bug, it’s not global.

And now it’s closed.
And most likely next year this guide will be completely useless.

FBG intends the festival to remain relatively similar from year to year. See Hannah’s post on this page: https://community.failbettergames.com/topic27905-whitsun-is-here.aspx?Page=5

Yes, I saw it.
It isn’t written in Correspondence as a Celestial Contract, they can change it any time they think worth it.
And even if the event itself returns, it can have enough small and medium changes to force us to heavily rewrite the guide.

So, it’s better not to make any plans until the actual date of return.

Resurrecting, for the Whitsun is soon.
Slightly dusted up and updated.

[quote=Aro Saren]Resurrecting, for the Whitsun is soon.
Slightly dusted up and updated.[/quote]Thanks for the heads up! :)

It counts as a separate augment, and only the total number counts, not the exact augment. So, if you want a single or double augmented pet you can use either augizmo or any other suitable aug. If you want an ultimate pet, you’ll need all three, in any order.
And just to clarify: you need only buy it once - augizmo is an item, it stays forever and can be used as many times as you want.
edited by Aro Saren on 5/3/2021