Which NPC would you marry, if it was possible?

Not if you think human relationships should mimic those of black widow spiders.
edited by Anne Auclair on 12/7/2016

Ah, the Once-Dashing Smuggler has stole my heart away. All that’s left is a single myrhh-scented rose. He seems like a romantic fellow, but I had to settle for the Honey-Addled Thief. He’s charming and the diamonds are nice, but the honey habit is troubling.

-The Cheery Man. All 3 of my characters sided with him because UGH I love him so much. Keep turning down the lady, the gentleman and the one of indistinct gender, but man, I’ll get you someday.

-The Contrarian, if only to consummate my love/hate relationship with him. It takes -skill- to kill someone through sheer annoyance.

-The Bishop of Southwark. Come on. You know you want him to rip off his cassock and wrestle your guests, your kids, your pets, etc.

-The Affectionate Devil. Dreamy sigh Just take my soul already, you beautiful bastard.

-MR SACKS, TAKE MY HEART.

The Smiling Priest from the Chapel of Lights! He doesn’t even have a portrait, but I just love the way he talks, and that mischievous, fey air he has about him. He’s so charismatic and mysterious, but there’s a cute, intimate side to him too. The way he comforts you before and after he cuts you open is great. And the way he gets all flustered during SMEN when you ask for the candle, after days of eloquence and smugness? Adorable!

I’m also really fond of the leader of the Phonoi from The Art of Murder. She’s such a sweetie, and there’s so much brilliance and ingenuity under those layers of melancholy and abandonment. She seems like she needs someone to form a real emotional connection with, someone who can be there for her, no matter what happens (and no matter how many people she kills). And she gives you her diary during one of the endings! That’s got to count for something!

I think they’ve both got the potential for a really satisfying romance arc, and either would make an excellent spouse for my character! ^_^[li]
edited by Gul al-Ahlaam on 12/8/2016

I’m so glad to see that somebody mentioned the Melancholy Curate… but surely his Enigmatic Sister also deserves her own mention? Or both of them. In fact - definitely both. I want to marry both of them at once - which… I understand is never going to happen in a million years. But a girl can dream, can’t she? Honestly, that storylet was what really sold the whole game to me, and I’ve never looked back… if I can’t marry them, perhaps at least another ‘poetry-reading’ or two??

That aside, I have to say I do have a little soft spot for the Last Constable. And the Quiet Deviless. Though I imagine neither would be especially easy to persuade about marriage… for rather different reasons, of course. Oh, and the Contrarian, just because I’d like to know exactly where he is at any given moment so that if I feel the urge to have a screaming argument I can do so with ease and efficiency… :’)

But honestly, the Curate & his Sister have my heart… Sigh.

So many choices…

But if we’re talking marriage, my character has ten entire fingers to put rings on if necessary. Break the rules, marry everybody!

This is from Sunless sea, but I want me some Lady Black!

Some great options here, but I felt there was a real connection between the Silk Clad Expert and my character, but I suspect I was being used. Hopefully for more than my eyes. shudders Given how that progessed if she were an option I have to say the wedding would be unconventional, possibly even transformative. Two become one indeed.

I was also fond of the Brazen Iconoclast, and she seemed ready to move on.

[quote=Eglantine-Fox]So many choices…

But if we’re talking marriage, my character has ten entire fingers to put rings on if necessary. Break the rules, marry everybody![/quote]

Fleshy has so many love interests he’d have to start putting rings on his toes :P

Alternately, people with zillion spouses could just get one huge Superbowl-type ring with a ton of stones on it…one for each spouse :P

I’m not really into marriage, but it’d be nice to somehow run into the Absconding Devil again and see what he’s up to. Perhaps in Sunless Sea, at the Tomb Colonies and the Elder Continent, as an unnamed-but-slyly-referenced cameo appearance. I’m surprised he didn’t show up on anyone’s list, considering he is the one devil for whom there is canon evidence that he’d be willing to marry. (I’m still wondering what his scheme was. You get hints but nothing substantial. And what do a steel mill in the Tomb Colonies and someplace in the Elder Continent have in common?)

The way he smiles mirthlessly, dabs his eyes with a handkerchief, then slips you some tear-shaped diamonds… it’s like he can’t help being suave even when he’s bitterly disappointed about something. If you’re going to be leaving London forever, you might as well take out any hearts you can on the way out, eh?

The Last Constable or the sisters of Hunter’s keep. I would like to see a happy ending for the latter.

The Turkish Girl! No, the Melancholy Curate! No, his sister! No, Miss Forward! No, the Rubbery Entrepreneur! No, Sinning Jenny! … uummmm … do I have to chose just one?

Honestly, with all those big names out there I would like to have some more “normal” option. Marriage is not really a big thing in FL to begin with, but I’d totally love to get a storyline for the Canny Costermonger. After all, Not everyone is a “name”, London is run by the small people you steal from, buy from, fight with, that never get a voice in the matter.

I’d be totally up for getting that street-hardened girl to a point where it wouldn’t give Scandal just having her seen near my respectable address.

Haha, her artwork is super cute! If I were into female characters I’d totally want her as an option too.

Drownies, drownies, drownies! Also it only seems rational that a clay man would be an option, and also tomb colonists. The Once Dashing Smuggler is charming, but I am personally put off a bit by his relationship with The Widow. Fedduci is definitely alluring. I know I’ve said the Pirate Poet before for sure! And I’ve formed a special connection to The Woman In Yellow. There are just so many good options, I hope someone at Failbetter is jumping on this!
edited by Psyche Labyrinth on 12/14/2016

it would be better if the spouse section wasn’t explicitly labeled &quotSpouse&quot. It would probably be best labeled as &quotLover&quot or &quotPartner&quot or maybe even &quotConstant Companion&quot. All the ones I would like to marry probably wouldn’t be open to the exact idea of a proper marriage, per se.

whistle Somebody rough and 'umble from the zee or the hills… Don’t make them all high society and/or Rubbery!

While sweetheart cover both platonic/romantic relationships, not all relationships (in game) are sincere.
Look at the romances in Veilgarden or Shuttered Palace, you can pick a heartless reason that implies insincere motive.
edited by Lisbella Peridot on 12/17/2016

I think that could pose equal problems . . .

If you’re playing a certain type of character, ‘lover’ or ‘partner’ might not be appropriate . . . while ‘constant companion’ sounds very platonic. I’m wondering maybe it’s a &quotslash&quot could solve that issue, though? Like ‘spouse/partner’ or ‘spouse/companion’ . . . that way people can role-play the kind of relationship they want, allowing more options for that slot, and also meaning no one misses out mechanically speaking.[/quote]

How about &quotSweetheart&quot?[/quote]

(Argh, accidently disiliked the comment and I can’t vote it back up)

Still, that small mistake now gives me permission to add to the topic.

And by that I mean that I will give all of my searing enigmas to get the Carnelian Exile as a spouse in FL. (And remember, the searing enigmas are meant to advance the revolution! Yes, I would slow down the revolution if it meant getting her as a spouse in FL!)

Did someone say Constant Companion!?