Weekly Questions, Beginning 25/04/2016

Could someone please explain the “paid account” on here? Is it something different from the exceptional friend account on FL?

More of a meta-question: has there been any discussion on the new Item Qualities?

You know, the little tags that have shown up at the beginning of a number of item descriptions: [Commonplace] (low-tier or grindable items), [Scarce] (low-middling tier items), [Coveted] (middling-high tier items), [Rare] (things that take a good deal of work to get, or that you can only get a few times) and [Precious] (things that take an enormous amount of work to get, or that can only be attained once). Those are just my guesses on what the tags mean, but they mostly seem pretty self-explanatory.

That being said: I’m curious as to what the rationale is for some of the tags - I guess the Ratskin Suit is commonplace either because (extradiegetically) it can simply be bought with sufficient Echoes or (extradiegetically) because they’re, well, a common sight in London.

Discussed over here!

It’s been awhile since my main was kicked out of the university.

Edith, my alt, has recently finished the case of the researcher’s murder, she has Featuring in the University 40. I’ve drawn some of the cards to work on the glim sculptor’s story, and have solving cases around London 4.

Assuming this was the right path, I spent some time gathering research pages on Grunting Fen, Bulbone, and Corpsecage islands.

When I tried to re-establish my reputation, the storylet in my lodgings isn’t available, and says that I need to be &quotUnwelcome at the University&quot to play it.

In the university, I only have access to Shadowing Dealings, Growing Pains, Committee on Semiotic Safety, and A Colleague with a Problem.

What am I missing? Do I need to get through with the glim sculptor’s story before the university is officially finished? I can’t remember.
edited by Myrto on 4/29/2016

You’re not missing anything- University Tales 40 means you picked the ending that doesn’t involve getting kicked out, so there’s no need to re-establish your reputation.

Either way, there’s nothing new at the university after that.

Myrto, if you have Featuring… 40, it means that you were never kicked from the university. It seems to indicate that you went with the &quotruthless pragmatist&quot route, since you are only kicked when you go the &quotan idealist to the end&quot route, that gives Featuring… 30. The options you have are the normal, not-unwelcome options. So, there it is: you were never expelled from there in the first place, so you don’t see the vinegar-faced man storylet.

(I take ages to type, someone bet me to it. Not erasing it, though. Too lazy even for that.)
edited by Professor Strix on 4/29/2016

Thanks, Professor Strix and Gilphon! I didn’t realize there was an option to end the stories there that didn’t result in being unwelcome. So, now I have a bunch of research notes…

May I repeat a question asked but not answered above? When I do a search, I get 5 options and the message:
The free version returns the first 5 results only
I also note I am unable to start new threads. As an EF within the game, I would like to know about the “non-free” version and how to access it. The FAQ gives no information.

Unfortunately, the forum software is not run by Failbetter, and I’m not sure Jitbit Forum is even around as an entity anymore. The search is crap for everyone, but I don’t know why you can’t start new threads. Which subforum are you trying to create a new thread in, and what exactly happens when you try?

Harrumph. Next you’ll be saying the Neddy Men shouldn’t confiscate our money and spend it on truncheons.

Use google for searching the forums: you can add site:community.failbettergames.com to a search and it will pull results from here.

Than you for the information. As to starting a thread, it seems I was looking in the wrong place… /embarrassed

Hey, question: does anyone know who has the highest Mark Of Credit Pages? I thought about collecting them. You know, in case having 777 unlocks a secret option for having a ENire Mark of Credit or something. XD

Does anyone know the EPA for trading a Collection of Curiosities for Puzzling Maps, now that it involves using 1 favor for the Tomb Colonists in exchange for an Extraordinary Implication?

I can’t remember the number, but I remember someone saying it had been improved.

Approximately 1.857 EPA, or exactly 13/7ths.

This is a very small increase from the prior ~1.84EPA.
edited by Jeremy Avalon on 5/4/2016

Details:

34 actions to get a Collection of Curiosities via Dramatic Tension. 1 action to get Favours: Tomb-Colonies.
Total: 35 actions.

Reward: 5 x Puzzling Maps + 1 x Extraordinary Implication = 65 echoes.

EPA: 65/35 = 1.857

(As Jeremy Avalon indicated)

[quote=dov]Details:

34 actions to get a Collection of Curiosities via Dramatic Tension. 1 action to get Favours: Tomb-Colonies.
Total: 35 actions.

Reward: 5 x Puzzling Maps + 1 x Extraordinary Implication = 65 echoes.

EPA: 65/35 = 1.857

(As Jeremy Avalon indicated)[/quote]

Don’t we need to add the action of trading, making it 36 actions total?
65/36 = 1.805 (vs. 62.5/35 = 1.78 before the favour/renown changes).

[quote=Gonen]Don’t we need to add the action of trading, making it 36 actions total?
65/36 = 1.805 (vs. 62.5/35 = 1.78 before the favour/renown changes).[/quote]
You’re absolutely right, Gonen!

(I thought the epa looked too high, but couldn’t put my finger on the reason)

what’s the easiest connections to get, and how do you get them? ideally not including bohemian or revolutionaries, as i’ve almost capped them both unless the transition is harsher than their predecessors.