Weekly Questions, Beginning 25/04/2016

[quote=th8827]If you have an eyeless skull, you can bank their non-persuasive reduction cards and repeatedly take the Persuasion cards. I suggest a 5 card lodging for this, to not fill your hand with all the other I discardable cards.

You can rarely get an Eyeless Skull in the Forgotten Quarter, either by poking around or getting a rare success in an expedition. You can trade the skull in for 50 Echos afterwards.
edited by th8827 on 4/27/2016[/quote]
Right, i forgot about that, thanks!

(And i hate to be that entity, whether male, female, neither or both, but it’s 62.5 echoes, or at least it was last week.)

Time the Healer finally came at 3 in the morning. I only plan to report it if the timing doesn’t return to normal next week. (I’m assuming it has something to do with the rubbery changes.)

My Time the Healer was on time this morning and a couple of my alts got TtH yesterday morning, both as expected.

So it looks like it was a temporary glitch but whether the people affected will go back to their regular time or if it has reset it to 7 days after Time arrived remains to be seen.

I can confirm I did eventually get visited by TtH. Came about ten hours after I’d expected it.

In the end I did write a note to support, just to request that it return to the original timetable (always find lots to do with the new free evenings!)

My TtH was a couple hours late last week so who knows what will happen this week.
edited by Optimatum on 4/27/2016

I had a response re. Time the Healer:

“When a lot of living stories are set to trigger at the same time – for instance, because we have a really large number of new users after launching a mobile app – our systems push some of them back a bit in order to cope with the load. I’m afraid we can’t manually adjust the schedule of individual characters’ living stories – with luck, though, a similar event in future may push yours forward to a more convenient time.”

In other words - 3 am it is for the foreseeable future, then. (Why does that feel as if I’m working half the night for free…? Just kidding.)

Okay, here’s my question:

I tend to get distracted by various goals: Get Cider, Get the most Diamonds, get the highest amount of Legacy Established from Port Carnelian… you got any advoce for acheiving any of these goals? Which one seems the most feasable?

[quote=Kylestien]Okay, here’s my question:

I tend to get distracted by various goals: Get Cider, Get the most Diamonds, get the highest amount of Legacy Established from Port Carnelian… you got any advoce for acheiving any of these goals? Which one seems the most feasable?[/quote]

grind what you want to grind the most, it will reduce the chance of you stopping to play the game because you got bored of constantly clicking the same button, and don’t grind for like 5 years straight, if you feel like doing something else try that, like I said, you will get bored of clicking the same thing(s) again and again for months.

They’re all feasible, though obviously different timescales. Getting the most fabulous diamonds is probably most feasible since to my knowledge one other person is attempting that :P

I’d definitely encourage you to pursue the diamonds, since that means that I’ll know whether or not to sell my own fabulous and magnificent diamonds when it comes time for me to sell my assets to buy cider. :)

How can I obtain Acquaintance: Regretful Soldier? I already know the Wry Functionary and the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer, but this particular character seems to elude me.

From memory, it’s a card you can draw in Watchmaker’s Hill.

Someone has been kind enough to offer me the gift of a sip of Hesperidean Cider. This grants “A Taste of the Garden”, sole requirement for a number of opportunity cards which, according to the wiki, seem to have exactly the same effects. They appear often (being of “Frequent” frequency) and so far I’ve seen “A Dream about Bees” and “A Dream about Painters”.

The peculiar thing about the cards in question is that they have no “Perhaps not” button. Although they otherwise look just like ordinary cards, this lack of a way back makes them resemble red-bordered cards in their functionality, because it appears as if the player has no choice but to select the branch, and therefore selecting the card from the hand is as good as going through with the action in the card. This is not strictly speaking the case—I managed to get out by selecting a storylet in the Myself page, and then returning to the Story page—but I do wonder whether this is a bug or something more unusual, like a Must storylet in the style of Flash Lay obstacles. Is this a new feature or has it been around for a while? (The wiki certainly doesn’t mention anything about it.) Is it how the cards are meant to function?

I believe that’s working as intended, yes - it’s not a common mechanic, but drinking Hesperidean Cider is not a common phenomenon!

Yes, I’ve submitted a report a long time ago when I encountered this and got an official reply that this is indeed the intended behaviour of these cards.

I suppose there is a point to it… These are dreams, after all: they just come to you. I didn’t want to use the card yet because I had no wounds to heal, but if a suitable opportunity does not arise soon, I’ll use it anyway, especially if it clutters my deck too much.

I do wonder how they did it, though. I have come across storylets where there was a “Perhaps not” button even though it was redundant, or even confusing, so it’s interesting that they could turn it off in an opportunity card.

Anyway, thank you both for your responses, gentlemen.

Question: Today after time the healer passed by, I noticed my bank account lost 20 echos. I recall specifically because I nearly had enough for a good set of shoes… Is this common, or a glitch?

TtH should never decrement your echoes. This is a glitch, or you’re mistaken.

TtH itself shouldn’t even change your Echoes directly anyways. Few professions do, and those all do so when you use your professional payment.