Weekly Questions, Beginning 24/04/2017

Ah… You know, I could tell you something about what I have observed about the so-called &quotfrequency&quot system of the cards - something that I had used so that I drew &quotA tavern dust-up&quot far more often than I do the card for that bird or the Dockers’ faction card - or even the Mayor’s card for that matter.[/quote]
Frequency is not static, I agree, but I just thought there’s something that I’m missing. I really enjoy the little white bird to much as I didn’t even switch it to increase Renown faster.

I wasn’t using the various characters to get the Cider; they can’t pool their wealth together efficiently. (I don’t think that you know this.)
Seriously, I am using them to test the heck out of things.
edited by Rostygold on 4/26/2017[/quote]
Miss wrote there, but my point is that you have your main, which you are rushing to the Cider and alts that do not rush there. My bad, sorry! And I wouldn’t say that about the last part, but that depends on the subjectivity of &quotefficient&quot.
edited by Skinnyman on 4/26/2017

I understand that angle too! I do know the &quotwarming children in winter with overheating CPU&quot joke.
But really, that joke is about a major product bug that is generally disadvantageous in most circumstances being solved, to the annoyance of some customers who are somehow having circumstances such that the bug is useful (no matter how stupid it is when there are other alternatives).
This is not the case here. The bug that was fixed was actually hella profitable to exploit for people who knew about it and the conditions to trigger it, and the other alternatives to achieve the same thing just suck in comparison.
How do you think some people managed to farm their Renown: Urchins to rank 40 in under a month without resorting to Fate?
edited by Rostygold on 4/26/2017

Oh believe me. I have spent a lot of effort looking for ways to have multiple characters pool or share their wealth. There is no efficient and reliable way to do this.
P.S. In hindsight, I really shouldn’t have told you the name of any of my characters, even in a private message.

I understand that angle too! I do know the &quotwarming children in winter with overheating CPU&quot joke.
But really, that joke is about a major product bug that is generally disadvantageous in most circumstances being solved, to the annoyance of some customers who are somehow having circumstances such that the bug is useful (no matter how stupid it is when there are other alternatives).
This is not the case here. The bug that was fixed was actually hella profitable to exploit for people who knew about and the conditions to trigger it, and the other alternatives to achieve the same thing just suck in comparison.[/quote]

I agree (and have agreed) with all your points here.

As I wrote - I wasn’t trying to draw a parallel between the (fictional and ridiculous) scenario in the joke and Fallen London. I merely added a joke, because I felt it was (1) funny and (2) semi-related to topics being discussed (i.e. thematically fitting).

A while back, someone did an extensive investigation of card frequencies over at reddit.

Obviously not all cards can be tested (since some depend on specific qualities and some are mutually exclusive, etc.). But the results show that at least some cards have a different frequency in practice than what the card advertises.

[quote=suinicide]Do we have confirmation on the other cards? Or was this maybe the only one affected?
edited by suinicide on 4/25/2017[/quote]

Space confirmed. The change affects the cards that give favours. So currently the one in Ladybones Road should still come up as none of its factions have been converted to the Favour system. But once that happens it should also be locked, in principle.

You got eaten by the other discussion going on, so hopefully you still see this! Odds are the next seasonal event will be the election. The only thing I can think of to prepare is Notability.

[quote=dov]A while back, someone did an extensive investigation of card frequencies over at reddit.
[/quote]
Gah, makes me hate that palace cellars card all the more. And confirms my suspicions that the old non-favors conflict cards have a higher than standard frequency.

Yeah, they come up a tad too often.
But right now, I am going to use the remaining Church-involved conflict cards to grind up Connected: Great Game and Connected: Hell while I can, balancing it against Connection: Church.
I wish there was still something for the Constables though. Now I have to do the sell-Casing grind instead in preparation for the revamp. Ugh.
P.S. I said much earlier in the day that I was returning to Heists. I decided not to after revisiting the thread on Heists not resetting Casing. Apparently that wasn’t a permanent change.

Now, I will admit here that inane and bizarre things amuse me (one of the reasons why I got hooked on Fallen London in the first place, by the way). Can you tell what this means? I ran a search, and I got crazy s**t like dubious things on (allegedly) Copernicus’ works, Einstein’s less well-known theories and even Newton’s obscure research hobbies.

Now, I will admit here that inane and bizarre things amuse me (one of the reasons why I got hooked on Fallen London in the first place, by the way). Can you tell what this means? I ran a search, and I got crazy s**t like dubious things on (allegedly) Copernicus’ works, Einstein’s less well-known theories and even Newton’s obscure research hobbies.[/quote]

:P. Spacemarine9, who went north and ended up working for failbetter.

Oh, come on… Why did you have to shorten his handle name? I had been confused! :(
Also, he made his vessel from rats, didn’t he?

Oh, come on… Why did you have to shorten his handle name? I had been confused! :(
Also, he made his vessel from rats, didn’t he?
edited by Rostygold on 4/26/2017[/quote]

He…may have started london’s rat obsession, yes.

[quote=Rostygold]
snip[/quote]
You should know why.
On an unrelated note: start reporting bugs/exploits; the satisfaction will be much bigger and it’ll start spinning some wheels! Most important, if you haven’t, take a look in web/app development. I have a familiar feeling that you’ll enjoy and be a good developer!

Oh… you -might- want to know that I have dipped a few fingers into app development. I do happen to do a lot of coding in my research work, for example. :)
Now, that doesn’t mean that I like building software for just about any purpose. I like building software when they benefit me directly and in practical ways, like the ones which I made for use in my research work.
Games though … I treat like toys that I can break and put together again. That’s the satisfaction that I like.

My alt Horace is well on the way to writing a Classic Short Story - only two more Trade Secrets to guarantee success. As I would be devastated if I accidentally lost all that hard-earned progress, could you kindly tell me which actions I need to avoid if I don’t want the Potential to reset? Going to Zea? Getting arrested/dying etc.?

Thank you!

Oh, if only this was how it worked (i.e. going NORTH providing a job offer at FBG) :-)

[quote=Arandia]My alt Horace is well on the way to writing a Classic Short Story - only two more Trade Secrets to guarantee success. As I would be devastated if I accidentally lost all that hard-earned progress, could you kindly tell me which actions I need to avoid if I don’t want the Potential to reset? Going to Zea? Getting arrested/dying etc.?

Thank you![/quote]
I believe zailing is safe, but not sure about the rest.

Seems I lost my old notes regarding Robbing a Rat, but I noticed that at Shadow 255 it’s rounded up (128 coins), 254 gives, of course 127 coins.
All oki, but having 253 Shadowy gives 126 coins; same result with few progress CP, but also with few CP away from 254. Did anyone else notice this or does anyone have a theory?
edited by Skinnyman on 4/27/2017

[quote=Skinnyman]Seems I lost my old notes regarding Robbing a Rat, but I noticed that at Shadow 255 it’s rounded up (128 coins), 254 gives, of course 127 coins.
All oki, but having 253 Shadowy gives 126 coins; same result with few progress CP, but also with few CP away from 254. Did anyone else notice this or does anyone have a theory?
edited by Skinnyman on 4/27/2017[/quote]

Rounding - Wikipedia ?