Weekly Questions, Beginning 24/04/2017

You don’t lose it, but you will be unable to take advantage of many of the benefits until you get it back to 200.

[quote=suinicide]Do we have confirmation on the other cards? Or was this maybe the only one affected?
edited by suinicide on 4/25/2017[/quote]

&quotA tavern dust-up&quot is not being drawn anymore. All of them have been caught, I would say.
I wish some people wouldn’t talk about profitable stuff here (and that wiki), but rather keep them to private messages. The methods are being nerfed one by one.

The devs are just removing options that let you play the game in ways it wasn’t intended, so all you’re losing is the ability to cheat the system. It’s like a bug fix in a more traditional videogame: sure, you might have liked the bug, but if the devs intended for you to play the game that way, it would be a feature, not a bug.

In my eyes, only bad bugs should be solved.

I know that! Yet, I have learned that not having a reserve greater than just 99 has worse opportunity costs than having this malapropic space-bat dork come up.

In my eyes, only bad bugs should be solved.[/quote]

From different perspectives, it is a bad bug. Renown is not supposed to be raised quickly, it’s something that slowly grows with time.

Fallen London is about the stories. Everything else is flavour to accompany the tales. However, to be honest, as an end-game player, I do care about getting the most out of the system. But getting those cards over and over isn’t meant to be how you play the game. This fix was something they should have done already.

Oh? What can you use them for?

This actually shows that they are still putting effort in small things, that they still, despite having project of whole new level of complexity, are willing to take care of game and listen to players. Now, we all know how involved whole team is, but still. I guess ,what I am trying to say, it is easy to just let bug go and claim that it was feature from start. But, that’s just pandering to players. I will always have more respect for creator who stands behind their vision.

I burn through a lot of Incendiary Gossip on certain opportunity cards. I found that it is easier to just up-convert the Proscribed Material, eventually getting the Incendiary Gossip.
On second thought, maybe I should have offload them now. I am switching back to spending the cards on Heists.

You can make all those praises, of course, but I have seen them peel back changes that they want to implement, like not having Casing reset when beginning Heists (supposedly because that was causing technical problems on the other versions of the game), and they place content on hold to fix its gameplay for a long, long time, more than once already.

Oh, I know, I know. They certainly care about their games - but I have seen other web-game developers, and Failbetter is far from being the best around when it comes to gameplay design and coding. Therefore, I don’t think that they are capable of &quotstanding behind their vision&quot - they would like to, but they don’t exactly have the technical aptitude. They have writers who are better at writing and planning stories than writing code and planning gameplay features.

And no, they don’t always listen to players all the time. Others here will certainly tell you that.

There is no such thing as a &quotbad&quot bug; they’re inherently wrong. A bug is something that makes the game act in ways the creators don’t want it to (or breaks it). Again, if the creators wanted it to act that way, it would be a feature and not a bug.
I’m not saying love the pace of gaining renown and echoes, but that’s a different stance than &quotstop taking away my cheats!&quot.
The devs had to chose a pace, and this is the one they’ve chosen. You may dislike it, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. It might just mean that the game isn’t 100% your thing.

[quote=Rostygold]
Therefore, I don’t think that they are capable of &quotstanding behind their vision&quot - they would like to, but they don’t exactly have the technical aptitude. [/quote]
So they can’t try to get better? &quotOur game has bugs and doesn’t match our vision, so let’s just give up and leave it buggy and not the way we want!&quot Um, no…

They don’t have to. No one can please everybody. Apparently they haven’t made any decisions that have torqued off the entire playerbase, so their changes are fine. They may have torqued off you, but you’re not the whole playerbase, so…

Well, just so you know, they have left bugs in place before. Case in point being account-farming for Fate, until some particularly rude fools tried to screw up Sunless Sea’s funding.

Oh, I am not happy with some of their decisions alright, I will admit to that. But I will tell you this though: I certainly don’t expect things to go my way.

Next, I will you another thing: I love finding ways to circumvent a game, and I would much like to keep them, and keep them secret if they are advantageous. :)

So, no, I am not so much complaining as I am lamenting.
edited by Rostygold on 4/26/2017

I can’t defend that they left that in place for so long, but what? You want me to be angry with them for actively trying to fix the mistakes they’ve made in the past? On the contrary, I think it’s a good thing that they’re fixing things.

Well, if that’s your goal in a game, then I don’t think the devs have any reason to try to make you happy. And if you’re lamenting, that’s not really what you’re coming across as.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 4/26/2017

Every bug is a feature someone is using:

https://xkcd.com/1172/

(&quotThere are probably children out there holding down spacebar to stay warm in the winter! YOUR UPDATE MURDERS CHILDREN&quot)
edited by dov on 4/26/2017
edited by dov on 4/26/2017

I was making craploads more moolah by using that very profitable option in &quotA tavern dust-up&quot to crank out loads of supplies for expeditions.

Incidentally, I am doing that now too. :|[/quote]
How was A Tavern dust-up (80%) better than having the standard frequency pet card? Only for the wines or am I missing something? And how was it better than Flit card?
And if you don’t like quick schemes being fixed you said it yourself: there are other games as well.

EDIT: I always thought that having a rendezvous locks those cards and never bothered to check!

[quote=Rostygold]:(
This is going to make grinding Renown so, so much longer now.[/quote]
Renown… ya… exactly… not anything else… exactly… sure… greed… ya…!

And…

Odd complaining about this after:

[quote=Rostygold]I would prefer to draw the conflict card between the Rubberies and the Constables instead. I spend a lot of Rostygold converting Dock favours into Supplies. This source of Rostygold is by far the most action-efficient.
That said, all of my Favours: Criminals are spent on the Thieves’ Cache expedition.
edited by Rostygold on 4/8/2017[/quote]
and:

[quote=Rostygold]And I will tell you this: where previously my characters had barely been able to reach past the ~1500 Echoes per week mark with Deep Blue Shrine expeditions, they are now breaching well past ~2000 Echoes per week after I switch over to Thieves’ Cache.
edited by Rostygold on 4/10/2017[/quote]

Expeditions are something to do between grinds, not a grind. Now you’ll think they should have changed the expeditions purpose or the speed of which they can be completed? We understand that you have few alts and are probably rushing to get a Cider, but seriously?
edited by Skinnyman on 4/26/2017

What is the next seasonal event and how to prepare for it?

That’s a silly/funny joke, dov, but that joke is about someone being rather stupid about a glitch with a product - I was not being stupid about a glitch. ;)

Ah… You know, I could tell you something about what I have observed about the so-called &quotfrequency&quot system of the cards - something that I had used so that I drew &quotA tavern dust-up&quot far more often than I do the card for that bird or the Dockers’ faction card - or even the Mayor’s card for that matter.
But really, someone else can explain it. Kaijyuu knows - ask him/her.
(And besides, I have already mentioned a thing or two when I complained about there being few sources of Tomb-Colonies Favours.)

I am playing other games. :)
Also, this is not the only quick scheme that I know. ;)

I wasn’t using the various characters to get the Cider; they can’t pool their wealth together efficiently. (I don’t think that you know this.)
Seriously, I am using them to test the heck out of things.
edited by Rostygold on 4/26/2017

That’s a silly/funny joke, dov, but that joke is about someone being rather stupid about a glitch with a product - I was not being stupid about a glitch. ;)[/quote]
Just trying to add something funny semi-related to the discussion.
Not trying to compare the ridiculous premise of the xkcd joke to what you specifically said.

(and actually, I wouldn’t say the joke was about someone being stupid, but rather being ingenious (in a totally ridiculous way), and taking that situation to extremes for the sake of humour…)