Weekly Questions, Beginning 24/04/2017

How do you meet the repentant forger?
Is there any other conclusion of An Intimate of Devils other than selling the soul?
Are there any benefits of losing the soul, and how easy it is to regain it?
What is the best reward-wise Closest To quality?
What are the usual rewards for witnessing all three Exceptional Stories in a season?

[quote=Srebro]How do you meet the repentant forger?
Is there any other conclusion of An Intimate of Devils other than selling the soul?
What are the usual rewards for witnessing all three Exceptional Stories in a season?[/quote]

There are no real benefits, as in, nothing especially profitable unlocks with losing one’s Soul. However, selling Soul as POSI on City Vices: What profit? card gives you an 312.5 Echoes item. As to how easy it is to regain it, it depends. If you pay Fate, it is just mater of waiting for right card and progressing the story. If you go free way, you gotta open a lot of Bundle of Oddities. And I mean a lot. I know that right value can be found on &quotOne’s public&quot card and working as pirate at Zee.
Usual rewards are rare, 312.5 Echoes items that are otherwise very hard to obtain. And mini storylet that is thematically tied with season and reveals more lore.

For the repentant forger, you’ll met him in prison: when your suspicion gets to 8, you’ll go there, and you can draw an opp card that gives the acquaintance. I don’t know if there are other (possibly fate-locked) ways.

AFAIK, the &quotclosest to&quot quality is more flavour than anything, and its only pratical use is related to fasten the &quotcounting the days&quot quality for the numismatrix. If you’re interested in that, you’ll probably want to set your closest to with the great game, as it gives a way to raise counting the days without opp cards

[quote=BlabberingMat][quote=Srebro]How do you meet the repentant forger?
What are the usual rewards for witnessing all three Exceptional Stories in a season?[/quote]

There are no real benefits, as in, nothing especially profitable unlocks with losing one’s Soul. However, selling Soul as POSI on City Vices: What profit? card gives you an 312.5 Echoes item. As to how easy it is to regain it, it depends. If you pay Fate, it is just mater of waiting for right card and progressing the story. If you go free way, you gotta open a lot of Bundle of Oddities. And I mean a lot. I know that right value can be found on &quotOne’s public&quot card and working as pirate at Zee.
Usual rewards are rare, 312.5 Echoes items that are otherwise very hard to obtain. And mini storylet that is thematically tied with season and reveals more lore.[/quote]

Appreciate the answer. When do you receive the reward for the season’s completion?
edited by Srebro on 4/28/2017

It is normally released around the time the next season starts, and appears all over london.
edited by suinicide on 4/28/2017

i Just reached level 7 of SotC using the option in the forgotten quarter. Am i correct to assume I can’t increase the quality any further with this option? (not even 1 cp?)
edited by DrMoriviri on 4/28/2017

Yup.

[quote=DrMoriviri]i Just reached level 7 of SotC using the option in the forgotten quarter. Am i correct to assume I can’t increase the quality any further with this option? (not even 1 cp?)
edited by DrMoriviri on 4/28/2017[/quote]

Yeah, you can’t benefit from the option in the Quarter any further.

The only ways to raise SotC more (besides seasonal events, opportunity cards, Fate-locked content and bundles) are the option to compose Somewhat challenging music in the Empress’ Court (up to 10, only if you haven’t been kicked out) or the two options from the University: A merry wager (up to 10) and Perhaps you can remember something useful (capped based on Watchful).
edited by Bertrand Lyndon on 4/28/2017

When is the Watchful and Dangerous level determined for each contestant for chess games and sparring bouts? Is it when the challenge is issued or accepted?

Almost certainly when accepted.

Is there some browser extension, which helps to sum values of all items in the inventory?

check this forum post: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9501-goat-farmers-browser-extension.aspx
it is a nice extension and can sum the total value or you can reserve items and it will not add their value.

check this forum post: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9501-goat-farmers-browser-extension.aspx
it is a nice extension and can sum the total value or you can reserve items and it will not add their value.[/quote]
Thank you very much, and thanks ‘An Individual’ who created this extension.

So, it takes an outrageous number of 55 actions just to get a single Whirring Contraption through seeking the Missing Women. And one needs twenty of those to get a Zubmarine, not to mention the Strong-backed Labour. All of this sums up into a long and tedious grind. I’m not complaining, after all, I am building a Zubmarine all by myself. But maybe — just maybe — there are quicker ways out there to raise the Dramatic Tension quality? Does anyone know any?
Alternatively, does anyone know any quick ways to get a lot of Phosphorescent Scarabs to buy the Contraptions at the Bazaar Side-Streets?

[quote=Aronia]So, it takes an outrageous number of 55 actions just to get a single Whirring Contraption through seeking the Missing Women. And one needs twenty of those to get a Zubmarine, not to mention the Strong-backed Labour. All of this sums up into a long and tedious grind. I’m not complaining, after all, I am building a Zubmarine all by myself. But maybe — just maybe — there are quicker ways out there to raise the Dramatic Tension quality? Does anyone know any?
Alternatively, does anyone know any quick ways to get a lot of Phosphorescent Scarabs to buy the Contraptions at the Bazaar Side-Streets?[/quote]

it takes 44 actions to get the contraption. dramatic tension 2 is only 3 cp so 3 carousels to increase and one to cash in.
you can use this option to get whirring contraption but it may not be cheap for a new POSI considering you are trying to build your zubmarine.

If you have high dangerous, camping in chandleress’ workshop might be worth it to get beeswax and upconvert for scarabs. a commotion above(location specific:lodging card) gives scarabs if you pick that option. one of breeding tomb lion options gives scarabs.
edited by suhe gul on 4/30/2017

You can take (some) comfort in that building a Zubmarine used to require 30 x Whirring Contraptions, not 20 :-)

Sadly, I have no better suggestion for getting those contraptions beyond what suhe gul has said.
I’m still working on creating the 165 x Whirring Contraptions needed to max out all 3 newspaper titles. I’m about 70% there…

There are a number of other ways to increase DT around London. Like the War of Assassins, for example. I guess none of them are quicker?
I know about the card in the Nadir that gives +1 cp Dramatic Tension, but for obvious reasons that can’t be used often.
Maybe I’ll go to the Bullbone Island, then. I remember it as a decent source of beeswax, at least.
edited by Aronia on 4/30/2017

[quote=Aronia]There are a number of other ways to increase DT around London. Like the War of Assassins, for example. I guess none of them are quicker?
I know about the card in the Nadir that gives +1 cp Dramatic Tension, but for obvious reasons that can’t be used often.[/quote]
All repeatable options in London take 11 actions to get 1 CP of Dramatic Tension (both via War of Assassins and Wilmot’s End).

The one exception is indeed the Nadir, which can provide a weekly boost (though unreliably).