Weekly Questions, Beginning 22/08/2016

Breakwater is the hub for the next 3 Exceptional Stories. If you’re not an EF all you can really do is go there and have a chat with the mourners.
edited by Barselaar on 8/25/2016

[quote=Barselaar]Breakwater is the hub for the next 3 Exceptional Stories. If you’re not an EF all you can really do is go there and have a chat with the mourners.
edited by Barselaar on 8/25/2016[/quote]
Ah, so it’s not substantial free content. I thought that was likely, but it’s always good to check.

How could i possibly use Notability 3-5 except for upgrading 4-card home to 5-card during NY event and high-lvl professions? I’m a Doctor and i like it despite some drawbacks, not changing it unless FBG enables those Impossible! jobs.

well, notability helps with the unsigned message delivery option, and you can use it to boost your stats beyond the cap

If you missed an Exceptional Story does that effect the item trade-in at all? Or just delay it until you’ve completed the story?

It will just be delayed until you finish them, but probably you need to finish them to see the option. The one coming will be my first so I’m talking from read knowledge, not experience.
From the last:

[quote=babelfishwars][color=#e53e00]The grind of keel against shingle announces the ferry boat. The Boatman does not greet you.
The Family Ties Season has finished. If you played the Frequently Deceased, the Seven-Day Reign and the Pentecost Predicament, you will have gained an item unique to each tale. You can trade in these items to unlock a short tale suffused with lore and adorned with an alluring reward.
This option opens today, and will remain permanently, so there is no need to trade in your items by any deadline.
The story can be found anywhere in London. Bask in it.[/color][/quote]

Does that apply if you purchase a story with fate?

It will become visible to you once you have all of the items needed to unlock it, regardless of when you got them or whether you played the story through EF or Fate purchase.
edited by Barselaar on 8/26/2016

I’d like to subscribe for my alt but I wonder whether it would be different to subscribe today or on 1st September. Is the Calendar Code still playable for new subscription at present?

There is only one exceptional story at a time. So no.

Thank you. OK, I will let my alt stay in Mutton Island until the end of August and subscribe later.

Has anyone been to the Iron Republic lately to use the carousel to boost Austere?

I may try to boost Forceful at the Feast of the Zee, but I want to be sure I can get Austere back.

The wiki mentions an echo grind involving getting THiO in the Labyrinth and capturing a Goat-Demon alive. Apparently that has a 1.93 EPA, yet I’ve never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Does anybody have some number on whether the grind is actually good, as well as what the optimal strategy is? (I assume the answer to the latter will be to get THiO 11 (minimum required) and then attempt the capture immediately.)

For some reason, I have been unable to purchase Fate this week, regardless of browser or location without receiving an error message. I’ve emailed Failbetter’s support but have not received a reply bar the standard automated “please detail the problem”.(it’s been 3 days since I emailed.) I wanted to purchase Fate to spend on Zee Festival rewards and changing my Destiny without having to wait until Hallowmas.Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

When was Calendar Code made unavailable? It’s still August. I tried renewing my Exceptional Friendship either last night or this morning, but when I went to look for the story, it was gone.

Exceptional Stories switch over on the last Thursday of the month, so yesterday in this case.

What are the pros and cons of getting married with player and NPC? Spouse slot is my last empty one and i don’t like empty slots but if it’s only some boring +1 for basic 4 stats then who cares. On an other hand, if it has some great bonus advantage for rare loot and menaces reduction i could farm more for it

[quote=sosisqua]What are the pros and cons of getting married with player and NPC? Spouse slot is my last empty one and i don’t like empty slots but if it’s only some boring +1 for basic 4 stats then who cares. On an other hand, if it has some great bonus advantage for rare loot and menaces reduction i could farm more for it[/quote]The two standard NPC spouses (Celebrated Artist’s Model and Master Jewel Thief) have useful cards associated with them. The process of getting married to a PC has the potential to provide rare loot (such as a letter from the Empress if you go all out), but from what I understand, that is currently not available, and when it was, there was nothing interesting to do with your spouse once you were married. That may change once player marriage is enabled again.

I dropped Model completely and left Thief in a Deck because of easy diamond farm. It’s only left to wait for when they’ll turn it on. Thanks for info.

So, these days I am in a bit of a slow mode, having gone through the most of my plans so far, I should go and get onto Expedition, but grinding for Books of Hidden Bodies is just too boring for me. I am also slowly moving towards my third Mark of Credits for Iron Republic. This means basically card flipping all day long, with a lot of actions left for me to burn. Which brings me to the point of this post and my question, actually: is grinding Society in Duchess’ Salon and cashing them in for wines, then upconverting the best route for wine hoarding?