Weekly Questions, Beginning 22/08/2016

You’ve got things you want to know about Fallen London? We’ve got facts we want to share about Fallen London! Ask here, get answered!

I seem to have stymied myself with my Screaming Map and would appreciate help.
As far as I remember, I already had the left-hand part from way back, being very respectable.
I recently acquired the right-hand section, but now the left-hand half is no longer present, and I can’t access the Disgruntled Naval Officer storylet because apparently I have &quotPlaying Cat and Mouse with an Evasive Target 1 - A Disgruntled Naval Officer&quot. But I can’t find the storylet to continue…
Help!
edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 8/22/2016

Oh, and all the Implacable Detective options are closed off except the Whispered Hint one.

A couple things! Firstly, I got my first Mark of Credit, but I still have quite a bit (>7) Loose Change…and no further visits from the Numismatrix or whatever to start Counting the Days again. Is this a glitch, or does the RNG just hate me?

Does Mahogany Hall unlock eventually as you proceed through the story, or am I going to have to cough up all those strange hats, weasels, and other things?

What’s the best way to get Renown: Tomb-Colonies up to 10 without spending too many echoes?
Related, once your renown for Docks, Tomb-Colonies, Criminals, and Rubbery Men is over the limit for getting Favors at the Carnival, is there a good alternative source of them?

Honestly, I’m just sorta spinning my wheels right now. I’ve not finished at the Palace or the University and I’m working on breeding beasts in the Labyrinth, but since becoming a PoSI there doesn’t seem to be that much else to do other than grind stuff for itemcrafting, or grind qualities for storylets (like writing things or Term Passing). Any suggestions?

You get Marks of Credit by increasing your Counting the Days up to 14 and drawing the right card, and it resets every time you use said card to get or spend marks. The way you increase Counting the Days depends on what value you have currently, and who you are Closest To, but generally look for the following opportunity cards: Your CLosest To faction, A Visit from One of Your Acquaintances, and the various Menace-related cards. There’s nothing special that starts off a new round of Counting the Days, you just use the same opportunities that are already there.

Mahogany Hall does not unlock via story. You just have to pay the absurd fee.

Getting Renown higher than 5 for any faction requires using that faction’s specific item (Diary of the Dead, Rookery Password, Pulsating Amber, etc). You use these from your inventory to trade favors for renown. This is the only way. (These items also exist for non-renown factions, but work somewhat differently.) All of these items can be bought from the Bazaar, and some (but not all) can be obtained in other ways. For example, the Pulsating Amber (Rubbery) is a rare success from poking around the Forgotten Quarter, and the Diary of the Dead (Tomb-Colonists) can be bought from one of the Relickers.

If you’re looking for more adventure: Go Zailing! You need to grind and grind and grind for your ship, but it’s a ton of cool content.

I want to devise a certain Theorem. As far as I understand, the only way to do it lies with grinding Searing Enigmas. Please, advise on reliable ways to do it!

Currently, I’ve found three sources:

• Using Trade Secrets (very slow, 1 Enigma / 4 weeks)
  • End of Battles or Unlikely Garden in the Cave (slow, unreliable, 2/week at best)
  • Converting from Incunabulas at the University.

The last way is, indeed, semi-reliable, especially with investment of Insights. However, what’s the best way to get raw materials for it? Currently I grind Journals of Infamy by thieving in Flit; it takes ~290 actions for 1 attempt at creating Enigmas. Maybe there’s a simpler way?

You can steal them in Flit. Offices of Baseborn and Fowlingpiece, if I am not mistaken. Older players should confirm this

True, but that’s a Rare success, whch can happen only once in a 10-15 runs. With my luck (bad) I prefer at least semi-reliable methods.

It’s a bit more complicated than that, I’m afraid. They’re a fairly (probably about 12%) rare success on the Progress 5 robbery for the Offices of Baseborn and Fowlingpiece. I’ve used this myself, but I’ve had to cash out my enigmas for an Overgoat once already and haven’t built up again. Note that the Touching Love Stories can be converted to Bazaar Permits if you haven’t gotten the Bazaar lodging yet.

If you want to know more about heists, message me and I’ll see if I dig up my long post on their math and profitability.

A more common method is the Fidgeting Writer, but it’s luck based and your tolerance for that is your own decision :D

[quote=Jermaine Vendredi]I seem to have stymied myself with my Screaming Map and would appreciate help.
As far as I remember, I already had the left-hand part from way back, being very respectable.
I recently acquired the right-hand section, but now the left-hand half is no longer present, and I can’t access the Disgruntled Naval Officer storylet because apparently I have &quotPlaying Cat and Mouse with an Evasive Target 1 - A Disgruntled Naval Officer&quot. But I can’t find the storylet to continue…
Help!
edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 8/22/2016[/quote]

Take a look in the Docks or in your lodgings (I can’t remember where) for a storylet working with him.

True, but that’s a Rare success, whch can happen only once in a 10-15 runs. With my luck (bad) I prefer at least semi-reliable methods.[/quote]
Seriously? Because I got one every time I did that Theft. Huh. It looks like I am not on so bad terms with RNG as I thought.

I’ve had my Counting the Days reset after getting that Mark of Credit, and I had no problems getting it from 1 to 14 the first time through. However, all the options I see on cards now are grayed out, since I’m not Counting. I need to get Counting from 0 to 1, and I’m not sure how to do that aside from hoping to draw the right opportunity card (I think it’s an opportunity card, at least?) Once I have it, there’s no difficulty.
edited by shylarah on 8/23/2016

I’ve had my Counting the Days reset after getting that Mark of Credit, and I had no problems getting it from 1 to 14 the first time through. However, all the options I see on cards now are grayed out, since I’m not Counting. I need to get Counting from 0 to 1, and I’m not sure how to do that aside from hoping to draw the right opportunity card (I think it’s an opportunity card, at least?) Once I have it, there’s no difficulty.
edited by shylarah on 8/23/2016[/quote]
The options for increasing Counting unlock at specific values of Counting. Some are only available with Counting below 5, some with Counting from 6-9, some with 10-11, and some with 12-13.

You need to luck into encountering one of the options that requires Counting less than 5, which includes not having any Counting the Days at all. Nothing new unlocks going from 0 to 1 (actually 0 to 2–it works in increments of 5cp).

Ah. So, Counting the Days is one of the few places I’d recommend going straight to the Wiki.
Http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Counting_the_Days

There are location storylet options you can use to grind all the way up to 14 if you so choose. However, these are slower than the cards.

For getting that first point, head to Wolfstack Docks and Dice for secrets and coins. This unlocks for most Closest to: Factions except Urchins, who have their own storylet in the Flit.

Ah, I see. Well I will look those up then.

I did, and it seems dicing at the Docks works nicely – and is readily accessible. Yay!

Edit: Actually, Parelle, I don’t know of any special thing in the Flit and I’m Closest to Urchins. I used the Docks and dicing.

Another question – how does one get Marked by the Eater-of-Chains past Free of Fear?
edited by shylarah on 8/24/2016

Options start popping up again once your stats are high enough. (Afraid I don’t remember the exact number)
edited by suinicide on 8/24/2016

[quote=shylarah]
Edit: Actually, Parelle, I don’t know of any special thing in the Flit and I’m Closest to Urchins. I used the Docks and dicing.

Another question – how does one get Marked by the Eater-of-Chains past Free of Fear?
edited by shylarah on 8/24/2016[/quote]

I think Free of Fear is the highest level.

For counting the days, look under &quotFun with the Fisherkings&quot

So, I’ve got Starvelling Cat for the first time. Since I am not Seeker, is it worth keeping the goddamn thing? If not, I am willing to send it to whomever wants it

Yes it is worth keeping. A Starveling Cat provides an easy way to increase your nightmares and wounds this is very useful during Hallowmas or any other time you want to gain menaces.

@ Parelle –
Thank you – panic over. The Naval Officer was just taking his sweet time turning up.