Weekly Fallen London Questions,17/09/2018

Forgive my tardiness, I’ve been sick as a dog, but here is this week’s questions thread!

Aww, now I’m too late to add to the last week’s questions that the Attend a church fête on the south bank of the River action on the &quotAltars and Alms-Houses: the Church&quot card mentions the Greyfields Winery and &quotwhat they playfully refer to as their ‘vineyards’&quot, showing the image of a brown mushroom for that action. I attend quite often myself without paying much attention.

Greetings, all! I’m returning to the Neath after about a year-long hiatus after I finished Seeking with my first character, and I’ve just created a fresh account to experience London all over again. I would really like to become an Exceptional Friend this time around, though, but my character is only a couple of days old at this point and my stats are pretty much all below 20 so I kind of want to hold off on it. So roundabouts what level should my stats be before I can comfortably play the exclusive stories and really get the benefits of EF?

Lou, you can always unlock the ES (before last Thursday of every month) and play them when you feel ready.

Having a new character with 40 should be great as is because you’ll end up wasting more AP to grind specific items. But my advice is to do NOT rush! Enjoy, read, feel and taste the early stories and cards because they will be locked!

EDIT: Mobile posting
edited by Skinnyman on 9/18/2018

This is fantastic news, thank you! Follow-up question for posterity’s sake: if I unlock a story, and my EF runs out before I’ve had a chance to play it, can I still do so, or do I have to renew?

This is precisely the reason I sort of abandoned the first alt I’d created to go with a whole new character. SMEN was the reason I started playing FL to begin with and once I’d reached that point with my first character I more or less just rushed through London to get there, and once that was through I took my hiatus, so going back to that first alt felt strange after a year because I couldn’t really remember anything he’d done or what was going on with him. I really want to savor the writing and reacquaint myself with London this time around. Thank you again!

You only need the EF status to unlock a story. Afterwards it doesn’t matter and any story can be played at any time.

You only need to be subscribed during the month in question in order to unlock the story. Once the story is unlocked, it stays unlocked until you finish it. (Mechanically: Only the unlock storylet checks for ES status. All other storylets look for a status granted by the unlock storylet.)

Note that occasionally the unlock storylet is two or three actions into the ES, although FBG may have stopped doing this. You will know you have unlocked an ES because you will get big bold text thanking you for unlocking the ES, and informing you that you may continue it at your leisure.

Your story tab may get a little cluttered with pinned stories until you get around to playing them.

Thank you both!

What saints of the Neath are there?

Saint Cyriac, of Saint Cyriac’s Illuminated College, corresponds to no surface saint that I know of.

The famous ones are the false saints of Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name: Arthur, Beau, Cerise, Destin. Erzulie. Fortigan, and Gawain

Since the forgotten quarter got an update, I wish to ask what some good ways of getting some dock favors are. I plan to use them for the 40 expedition for profit.

There are 27 of them. All Cyriacs, many of them martyrs. There are churches named for him in Lacock (Wiltshire) and Swaffham Priory (Cambridgeshire; I’m familiar with this one from having a family member at Cambridge University). The most prominent was martyred in 303 under Diocletian. You can invoke him against eye diseases and diabolical possession, the latter probably useful in the Neath?

One RC site sadly lists the emperor as Diocletion, but this one seems more serious:

http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2015/08/08/st-cyriacus-deacon-and-martyr-and-companions/

Off the top of my head: Docks card, visiting the Regretful Soldier, being a Rat Catcher, visiting the Chandleress at Airs 96-100, having a Taciturn Mynah, being lucky at the party with Stick to Something Stately. Other one-off options around London at lower stats or, e.g. during the Cheesemonger storyline. End of the carousel on Mutton Island. One of the cards received after playing The Gift.

Don’t forget that strong-backed labour can also be converted to supplies if you happen to come by it, say, at Wilmot’s End after visiting the Nadir.

I imagine I’ll be disappointed but is there a way to access the Unterzee without owning the zubmarine? I’d rather not give up my pleasure boat but the Labyrinth of Tigers seems to need a trip under"water".

There is no unterzee as such in Fallen London; the zubmarine unlocks a few actions, such as diving underwater to avoid the Killing Wind card (and another similar one on one of the cards that appear with Lashing Waves) but no substantial content.
For the Labyrinth, I’m assuming it’s for the Plated Seal - in which case you can hunt it with any vessel. It’ll dive out of the water for you (and as a matter of fact I’m not aware of the zub having any special text for it, so you still hunt it from the surface if even you have one).

EDIT: On second thought, my first sentence may not be entirely technically correct; there’s an entire branch of destinies that take place deep underwater, and there may or may not be some ES that might have involved going underzee. But what I meant was that you can’t just take your zub and go zailing underwater.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 9/19/2018

Yay, good news! Cheers.

Does anyone have a couple of spare Skulls I could nab?

[quote=Ragnar Degenhand]
Off the top of my head: Docks card, visiting the Regretful Soldier, being a Rat Catcher, visiting the Chandleress at Airs 96-100, having a Taciturn Mynah, being lucky at the party with Stick to Something Stately. Other one-off options around London at lower stats or, e.g. during the Cheesemonger storyline. End of the carousel on Mutton Island. One of the cards received after playing The Gift.

Don’t forget that strong-backed labour can also be converted to supplies if you happen to come by it, say, at Wilmot’s End after visiting the Nadir.[/quote]
Also worth mentioning is Jenny’s Finishing School.

If you mean Eyeless Skulls, there’s a thread for that. You can only get it from someone for your first Skull, though, not one of the five you need later.

Can you drink from the Unterzee?