The Ultimate Guide to Favours and Renown

[quote=AzraelWalker][quote=phryne] It should also be understood that Renown can never be lost. That’s right again: NEVER. [/quote]Wellllllllll that’s not entirely accurate. There is exactly one way you can lose it (and all of it in one go in point of fact), but you would have to be half mad before you ever saw the option.[/quote]Oh wow. Does this remove Renown too, now? Wasn’t the case last time I checked… neat. I’ll amend the text then ;)

@lady ciel & Pumpkinhead: I’m familiar with these but don’t consider rare successes &quotgrindable&quot so I chose to omit them.
edited by phryne on 8/15/2017

I’d argue that, being repeatable, it’s still worth mentioning. The Polite Invitation in particular is both very profitable and quite frequent (meaning players will be going through it pretty often), and 20% is really high for a “rare” success, so I think it’s worth mentioning as a non-negligible source.

[quote=phryne][quote=AzraelWalker][quote=phryne] It should also be understood that Renown can never be lost. That’s right again: NEVER. [/quote]Wellllllllll that’s not entirely accurate. There is exactly one way you can lose it (and all of it in one go in point of fact), but you would have to be half mad before you ever saw the option.[/quote]Oh wow. Does this remove Renown too, now? Wasn’t the case last time I checked… neat. I’ll amend the text then ;)

@lady ciel & Pumpkinhead: I’m familiar with these but don’t consider rare successes &quotgrindable&quot so I chose to omit them.
edited by phryne on 8/15/2017[/quote]

You did list the Great Game option from the same Dr Schlomo card - I don’t know if the chance of getting a GG favour from that option is higher than for the Tomb Colonist but it seems odd to mention one but not the other.

I think the dance one is worth mentioning too, since even though it’s a low chance, people already go to parties for other favors. Might as well make it known, since a 20% chance is better than doing a firey dance and cards aren’t always useful.

@lady ciel re: Schlomo/GG: you’re right - the wiki doesn’t list it as a rare success. I believe that’s a mistake, since all the other options only give a Favour/Connected on rare successes. Will amend.

Okay all, you’ve convinced me, I’m going to add these things. About A Polite Invitation, I personally never use that, so I thought all those options rather fringe-y, but if people actually use them… ¯_(ツ)_/¯ ;)

:edit: All done! Thanks for the list, Wiwo/Tyrconnell, that’s really helpful! Now I finally begin to see why people use A Polite Invitation… :secret:
edited by phryne on 8/15/2017

A Polite Invitation is definitely a major source of favours.
As Tyrconnell summarized well in another thread:

6: Brass Ambassador (card, 2 Hell favours)
5: Tentacled Entrepreneur (card, ~50% Rubbery favour)
4: Turkish Girl (card, +3 Talk of the Town instead of +2)
3: Stick to something stately (~20% Docks favour)
2: Jovial Contrarian (card; Society favour) or Tentacled Entrepreneur (card, Rubbery favour)
1: Brass Ambassador (card, Hell favour) or Tentacled Entrepreneur (card, Society Favour)
0: Quiet Statesman (Society favour) or trade Talk of the Town for rewards

No, but having completed the story adds a new card to the Disgraced Exile deck that grants a favour while reducing Scandal

So the 40 renown item for both Great Game and Bohemians are at the Mirror Marches? Interesting…

Well, I just sold the Nadir’s location to Revs and feel slightly miffed. Here’s the breakdown of rewards you get for selling to:

Revolutionaries: a 1562.60E item
Great Game: a 1560E item plus 7 Favours, 5 CP Renown; Subtle gain, Steadfast drop
Urchins: a 312.50E item plus 7 Favours, 10 CP Renown; Daring gain, Melancholy drop
Hell: a 312.50E item

I’m aware of FB’s stance on issues of &quotbalance&quot, and Hell’s interest is said to be marginal. But February says the Revolutionaries need the info &quotdesperately&quot - so I would’ve expected some Renown at least. Also, the distribution of Quirk changes seems rather random. Ah well…

:edit:
It’d be great to get confirmation on which kind of works you complete at Court grant which (and how many!) Favours!
edited by phryne on 9/3/2017

I think I tried writing one of the works which used to give a bunch of Bohemian connected, and surprisingly didn’t get any favours - but my memory is hazy so I might be wrong.

One error I noticed-- “Find an Unusual Home for your Mark of Credit page” only grants Favours for factions you can actually be Closest To (Revolutionaries, Tomb Colonies, Criminals, Hell). It doesn’t give any Rubbery Men Favours, sadly.

[quote=Locrian]One error I noticed-- &quotFind an Unusual Home for your Mark of Credit page&quot only grants Favours for factions you can actually be Closest To (Revolutionaries, Tomb Colonies, Criminals, Hell). It doesn’t give any Rubbery Men Favours, sadly.[/quote]Fixed, thanks for spotting this! :)

:edit:

[quote=phryne]It’d be great to get confirmation on which kind of works you complete at Court grant which (and how many!) Favours![/quote]It appears that Court works have been nerfed. They now give Making Waves where they used to give Connected. There might still be rare successes for Favours, but so far no one seems to have encountered any…
edited by phryne on 9/3/2017

It seems, this route for Favours: Bohemians does not work anymore as for yesterday:

Fate-locked: one ending of The Blemmigan Affair adds a storylet to the faction’s card for 0-1 Favours along with some Romantic Notions and Memories of Distant Shores

Got this card twice, and there had been no ‘favours remains unchanged’ for me.

Are you certain you had Bohemian Favours at the time? If you’re at 0 it doesn’t display a message at all unless you gain one.

Oh, that’s the case probably. Thanks!

Should you add that you need Hell renown 10 to claim safe passage to the Iron Republic? This took me forever on a new alt account when they made the change. Love this guide, thanks!

[quote=Tay1or]Should you add that you need Hell renown 10 to claim safe passage to the Iron Republic?[/quote]I should, and did so just now! :P

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

I just want to say Phryne, this list is absolutely incredible. I’ve been playing for years and never been able to locate a good list of all the renown rewards and renown-unlocked choices. Thank you so much!

This is an older thread, but i thought I’d comment none the less as I didn’t see it mentioned:

It seems a mark-of-credit page from the Numismatrix is worth multiple favours.

So following: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Spending_Secrets_and_Counting_the_Days_(Guide)

If you’re closest to either Bohemians or Great Game, you can:

• Use the storylet in the docks (dice for secrets and coins) to CtD 6. (5 actions)
  • Use the storylet in the Forgotten Quarter - speak to an aristocratic academic to get up to CtD 9 ( 6 actions)
  • As long as you still have your soul: ‘talk about something else’ at the shuttered palace to get to ctd 11 ( 5 actions)
  • With master thief ‘talk about robbery’ at the university to get to Ctd 14. (5 actions)

And then wait for the numismatrix card, and ‘find a hard working home for your mark of credit page’.
This will give you 1 each of favours docks, great game, bohemians and urchins (This is restricted by ‘closest to’ - you can probably switch prior to this, but then you’ll have locked the storylets until you switch back again), and will cost you 21 actions + 1 opportunity card draw (and action).

And it’s a fairly long ‘cycle’ but it’s one with only one opportunity card dependency.

Of course I’ve just noticed this is linked rather than inline - http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
edited by Ed Rolison on 6/8/2018

You need two runs through the “cycle” to make it a cycle: one to obtain a Mark of Credit, and one to find a home for it. So, 42 actions and 2 draws of an Abundant-frequency card.

That’s still above-average for grinding favors, if you can use more than one of the favors handed out. Most of the deterministic methods out there require 20+ actions for 1 favor, so 42 actions for 4 is a great deal and 42 actions for 2 is still good. Plus, the circuit is entirely within London and does not require any actions be spent in contiguous blocks.