The Ultimate Guide to Favours and Renown

[quote=Wiwo]One of the endings to The Gift gives a new opportunity card which has an option to pay 50 whispered secrets for a docks favour.[/quote]The other ending of the Gift unlocks an opportunity card with an option to pay 1 Incendiary Gossip for a Society favor.

Um. I’m not too particular usually, but I and some other players put quite a bit of effort in to researching the first three factions when they came out. Since those have separate threads, I would recommend linking to those for those factions as well as the plain text.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic23818-useful-guides-and-explanations.aspx#post181819

There are also posts via Reddit which may be handy.

And Grenem’s work on grinding favours without cards should absolutely be linked to in its own right:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
edited by Parelle on 8/13/2017

Excellent guide. Well done.

From a quick scan, I’ll just add that you can also get 1 x Favours: The Docks from the Chandleress at the Department of Menace Eradication, when the Air of London is 96+. (note that it costs 2 actions just to enter the department).

Just wanted to say that option with Broken Giant on Brass Ambassador card at party gives 2, not one Favour.

Note on Revolutionary favours:

Agreeing to start Plotting Against the Masters gives at least 1 favour (Doing it for the Cause may give 2, haven’t confirmed yet), and you can refuse to continue with the plan and reset your Plotting Against the Masters back to zero + removing all Rev favours you had at the time (you’ll have 0 after cashing them in for renown or items). This allows you to do the first step for 1-2 favours again.

It’s a bit of a niche grind that requires good timing and/or keeping the 2nd step’s card in your hand for a long amount of time, but it’s useful for those who don’t want to actually support the cause beyond nodding to some revolutionaries every once in a while for RP reasons.

You should also be able to draw Bringing The Revolution, which trades 1 Compromising Document for a Rev favour. There’s a possibility it was changed to require 2 levels of Plotting instead of 1, as I haven’t managed to draw it yet using my method.

It’s Fate-locked and a matter of luck but the Obdurate Stallion can give a Society Favour and a small suspicion reduction or it increases suspicion.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will add them soon!

Parelle: Don’t worry, I have not forgotten about those threads! :) I’ll probably link to them in the OP, or in the relevant faction posts. I just wanted to check back on them before I did so to make sure the info there is still accurate.

:edit: After having had a look at the old threads, I must say I don’t see any use in linking to them. Sorry! I’m sure they were very useful at the time.

A few questions about Fate-locked stories:

[spoiler]

[ul][li]What Favours can be gained from Jenny’s School? I’m guessing Revolutionaries, Bohemians, Urchins, Great Game and Docks since that would match some of the pupils.[/li][li]Is there an option for TC Favours in Tanah-Chook?[/li][li]Any Favours in Apis Meet?[/li][li]Any Favours from The Face Tailor options on opportunity cards?[/spoiler][/li][/ul]Thanks!
edited by phryne on 8/13/2017

I can speak to the Face Tailor option on the Curt Relicker card, which gives no favours but reduces suspicion and gives scraps.

The ones you said plus Church and Tomb-Colonies. And Society, if you have completed The Frequently Deceased.

You can also earn 3 Hell favors in the Labyrinth of Tigers by betraying the Bishop. Requires using fungal treats and a stick, and all 4 beasts which are consumed. Also gives material rewards worth around 50 echoes, wipes Church favors.

Some favor sources have caps lower than 7. One such case is Rubbery Entrepreneur’s card (in PoSI parties); the “heading hopefully in your direction” option has sometimes given me the result of “favors: rubbery men remains unchanged, at 4”. I think I recall a docks favor source with a similar below-7 cap, but couldn’t say where.

The last chapter of the Empress’s Court story starts with the Veteran Privy Counselor asking the player to produce an opera which would get them exiled from court. After accepting the commission, the player gets a chance to decide their motive for carrying out the request. Selecting “For queen and country” gives one or more Great Game favors. I do not know how many it would have given, because I already had 7 favors when I chose that option.

I don’t know if any other non-repeatable moments in the Empress’s Court story provide favors for recently-converted factions. I have a friend who isn’t on the forum but will be entering the court in the near future, so hopefully I can get some first-hand information from their play.

Those aren’t caps; those are random favors. They can’t award half a favor, so sometimes they award a random number between 0 and 1. Unfortunately, the 0 result will give a very misleading message that’s similar to hitting the cap.
edited by Kaijyuu on 8/13/2017

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]Note on Revolutionary favours:

Agreeing to start Plotting Against the Masters gives at least 1 favour (Doing it for the Cause may give 2, haven’t confirmed yet), and you can refuse to continue with the plan and reset your Plotting Against the Masters back to zero + removing all Rev favours you had at the time (you’ll have 0 after cashing them in for renown or items). This allows you to do the first step for 1-2 favours again.

It’s a bit of a niche grind that requires good timing and/or keeping the 2nd step’s card in your hand for a long amount of time, but it’s useful for those who don’t want to actually support the cause beyond nodding to some revolutionaries every once in a while for RP reasons.

You should also be able to draw Bringing The Revolution, which trades 1 Compromising Document for a Rev favour. There’s a possibility it was changed to require 2 levels of Plotting instead of 1, as I haven’t managed to draw it yet using my method.[/quote]
Update: Just drew Bringing The Revolution. That option is still awailable making this a much better option for grinding now.

A bit confusing, but a different message:

• &quot[Quality] has not increased; this quality cannot currently increase past X&quot –> hard cap[/li][li]&quot[Quality] has not changed from X because it’s higher than Y –> soft cap (i.e. other actions might pass this cap)[/li][li]&quot[Quality] remains unchanged, at X&quot –> Action might or might not give of this quality, and you got unlucky.

Special thanks to Sinnouk and Vavakx Nonexus for very useful info on An Agent of the Cheesemonger and Plotting against the Masters! :)

Being a Shepherd of Souls gives you several options on a new opportunity card. The most expensive gives you a full menace wipe and 3-5 favours each for Church, Constables, and Society. The next most expensive simply gives 1 favour each for Church, Constables, and Society.

Wellllllllll that’s not entirely accurate. There is exactly one way you can lose it (and all of it in one go in point of fact), but you would have to be half mad before you ever saw the option.

I don’t recall any TC favours anywhere in Tanah-Chook. Certainly not at any point during the EPA carousel - and I don’t think there are any favours to gain entering or leaving the Republic, either (this being the extent of possible interaction after the ES is completed).

I don’t see allowing Dr Schlomo to publish your dreams of dead men which gives the chance of a Tomb Colonist favour

At a polite invitation, while choosing your dance, “stick with something stately” has a rare success that gives a docks favor. Not sure how likely it is, but it’s there

I believe it as about 20% odds to get the docks favour.