The Janissary Guard: for perplexed new PoSI

[quote=malthaussen]Hmm, so is Connected/Society also required to raise Notability, in addition to MW and BDR? Or just the book?

– Mal[/quote]

Just the book. You don’t need any Connected: Society whatsoever, although it can indirectly help you by getting you Making Waves with certain actions, of course-- as with certain other Connecteds.

But if some kind soul sends that first Notability point as a gift, then the book would need to be bought, no? And is trading Connected for MW dependent on a card, or is it an action from a game location? Still working out how all the different areas have changed now that the PoSI stuff is unlocked.

– Mal

The trading connected for waves is on the same card that gives notability. If you have enough making waves you can force draw this card at your lodgings, under attend to matters of society and scandal. Its the long title with slowcakes in it. I’ve also heard that the connection trade a pretty bad deal.

Trading for making waves at slowcakes card is not a sensible choice. it will take away 4000 cp of your connected and the MW it gives is definitely not worth it. Set up a salon and trade your connection plus favour in highplaces. salon helps a lot to get notability because you convert your connections to scheme which doesn’t decrease each week like MW. Then you trade whole chunk of it for a lot of making waves. so you can prepare from weeks before. without the duchess option in the salon it would have been impossible after notability 12 even with top BDR.
Also that book is required even if you get your first point as a gift, of course not for that first point but to get the second point. You can get it from the card for 27,5 echos and from the bazaar for 30 echos so not worth waiting for the card.
edited by suhe gul on 12/1/2015

In terms of areas changing for PoSI also don’t forget about the Unfinished Business stories in the original four areas. Another advantage of reaching PoSI - looks to be lots of low level items rewarded with these.

Also used to advance Airs of London for sending Christmas cards. But some of those stat checks are pretty tough! Back to failing once in awhile!

– Mal

I used Black Ribbon training to do that. Was doing that anyway so it worked out nicely. I also like how sending the cards changes airs as well, that helped with a few of them.

Forgot about the training, that would be useful. I have a lot of the '79 lying around, so I just traded it for prisoner’s honey, which is a lot more useful. I wonder if Casing changes the airs? Nope, just checked.

I’m probably going to go for God’s Editors first of all, as the card has come up in my hand. That will mean giving the Duchess her bloody rats and performing a Great Work. Fortunately, I have a Mood card to make the writing go more smoothly. Are there any categories of story the Church frowns on? I wouldn’t want to lock myself out of the Editors by writing the wrong thing.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/1/2015
edited by malthaussen on 12/1/2015

God’s Editors like any story except a Tale of the Future.

Where do I see what my Notability is? I know what it is now, having just gotten it to 2, but I’m sure in future it’s something I’ll want to know. I don’t see it under Story, although it is not impossible my eyes are glazed over.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Where do I see what my Notability is? I know what it is now, having just gotten it to 2, but I’m sure in future it’s something I’ll want to know. I don’t see it under Story, although it is not impossible my eyes are glazed over.

– Mal[/quote]
It is on the sidebar to the left (where stats and menaces are), near the bottom.

I am not interested in an NPC spouse, although I am aware there are advantages to same. But the courtship cards keep turning up in my deck. If I were to start Being Seen with another player, would that cull those cards?
And a secondary question of mechanics, can one Be Seen with more than one player at the same time? Or is being Seen With tantamount to Going Steady or even Engagement?

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/2/2015

[quote=malthaussen]I am not interested in an NPC spouse, although I am aware there are advantages to same. But the courtship cards keep turning up in my deck. If I were to start Being Seen with another player, would that cull those cards?

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/2/2015[/quote]
just select the cards, do the option. it’ll get rid of the card from the deck, and if you ever decide to proceed, you can do it in the sidestreets. this applies to all of the gold-bordered posi cards… except, maybe, the one that unlocks a secret area. All the others, though, are only step one of the process. they’re just ads, so to speak, to make you aware of what you can aquire.
edited by Grenem on 12/2/2015

One can indeed be ‘seen with’ more than one person, even after being married, if that’s your thing. There is an ‘official’ betrothal stage after you choose to propose/accept a proposal, which unlocks the wedding preparations. As has been commented upon very recently here on the forums, once you wed there currently isn’t anything to do with your spouse and the dates now available close off, so unless it is someone you enjoy roleplaying with, it is, to my mind, currently more advantageous to stay ‘seen with’ or ‘engaged’. I know more activities for spouses (as well as divorces) are on FBG’s very long to-do list, but it will be two years since the wedding mechanic was introduced come the Feast of the Exceptional Rose, so things may not change any time soon.

Thanks, Lady Taimi. I can’t figure why FBG doesn’t just unlock the dates for married couples, at least as a stopgap. One doesn’t stop going to dinner or movies after he’s wed, after all. At least, not if he wants to stay wed.
Looks like the Romantic options are a nice way to burn Free Evenings for a few assorted rewards. And the MW, of course. No doubt somebody has run the numbers on what the opportunity cost/payoff ratio is.:)

– Mal

Assuming the wiki values are accurate and that all outcomes are equally weighted, it’s fairly profitable for the sender, but not so much for the receiver. If you alternate, it averages out to somewhere in the vicinity of 1.725 epa. Better than the Affair of the Box, though you have to burn Free Evenings. Making Waves gain is not as good as private dinners.

I took a friend to Dante’s Grille just now. Well, we both had 16 MW, and she’s not doing anything with hers – and as I expected, having served as lunch before, her MW went down to 8, but I only received 2 MW in return. Does the RNG come into play at these dinners? Ten echoes for 2 lousy MW is no cost-effective trade, however delightful the company.
Are Private Dinners a better choice than Dante’s, then, for MW also? No 10 quid opportunity cost would seem to make a bit of a difference.

A separate question, in reference to BDR. One assumes there are three values for a reason. Is it considered best to have as nearly equal quantities of B, D, and R as possible? Does a greater quantity of one open a door or unlock an opportunity than would an equal amount spread out? Or does it not matter much in the end? It is of some consequence when getting things such as transport… which reminds me, can one have both a sedan chair and a landau?

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/3/2015

For BDR I think its like all equipment stat boosts in that you change equipment to meet the test. The only BDR test I have encounter so far is drawing my hungover terrier- but i think it gave a good reward in wine. I think that’s probably how these values are used for the most part. You get a test that needs them and then switch round your gear to meet the requirement as best you can. In which case getting all as individually high as possible would be best. But I’m sure others here will know far more.

[quote=malthaussen]I took a friend to Dante’s Grille just now. Well, we both had 16 MW, and she’s not doing anything with hers – and as I expected, having served as lunch before, her MW went down to 8, but I only received 2 MW in return. Does the RNG come into play at these dinners? Ten echoes for 2 lousy MW is no cost-effective trade, however delightful the company.
Are Private Dinners a better choice than Dante’s, then, for MW also? No 10 quid opportunity cost would seem to make a bit of a difference.

A separate question, in reference to BDR. One assumes there are three values for a reason. Is it considered best to have as nearly equal quantities of B, D, and R as possible? Does a greater quantity of one open a door or unlock an opportunity than would an equal amount spread out? Or does it not matter much in the end? It is of some consequence when getting things such as transport… which reminds me, can one have both a sedan chair and a landau?

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/3/2015[/quote]
Private dinners are generally agreed to be superior to dante’s, at least once you factor out the echo cost.

BDR are generally equilvalent, but there are situations where you have a challenge for one or another. Maybe you need to seem respectable in front of parthenaum, or use how Dreaded you are to terrify some criminals into submission (heists have an actual dreaded challenge). There are no documented cases of needing over 10 for certain success, AFAIK.

All connection pets have a challenge for their own BDR variant.

However, notability is the main use, and for that they are equivalent.
edited by Grenem on 12/3/2015

[quote=malthaussen]A separate question, in reference to BDR. One assumes there are three values for a reason. Is it considered best to have as nearly equal quantities of B, D, and R as possible? Does a greater quantity of one open a door or unlock an opportunity than would an equal amount spread out? Or does it not matter much in the end? It is of some consequence when getting things such as transport… which reminds me, can one have both a sedan chair and a landau?[/quote]There are a few challenges for each BDR quality (e.g., Finding the Screaming Map) but it is more important to try to get the total BDR value as high as possible. On your other question, you can definitely get both the sedan chair and the landau.