The Janissary Guard: for perplexed new PoSI

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]On the good advice of the kind people who posted before I’ve been trying my best to get hold of some more BDR items. I have a lot of golden story cards for these in the Bazaar side streets now. All at various degrees of completion.

The final options to get the BDR equipment in these story-lets (the ones I have been able to make my way through to the end of anyway) need items bought from the Bazaar side streets to complete. Gosh! A lot of those are expensive! ( It also appears they can be gained by playing Tournament of Lilies and the like, but that looks a long way off for me, and maybe a little RND reliant?)

My question is do you have any tips on ‘grinds’ for getting the minor items needed to make things such as Strong-Back labour and Personal recommendations, etc, etc? The two I’m personally closest to are the Stag Club membership and the Gang of Hoodlums. Use of Villains in particular seem like hen teeth.

Maybe this is a case of being patient and working slowly? Perhaps these are suppose to take a long time to get hold of? But maybe you all know that there is one item that is much easier to get at than the others? I would love to be able to push up my notability easier. Thank-you for your help :)[/quote]

You might get some storylets that will allow you to grind for those items better; for example, someone might start sending Assassins after you! (This is a grinding carousel that gives you certain items that you can choose from, including Bazaar Permits and Use of Villains.) Also, Wilmot’s End is a good location for grinding Whirring Contraptions, Strong-backed Labour, Collated Research and Legal Documents, if your Persuasive and/or Shadowy are high enough.

Instead of using components in the side-streets, you can also up-convert some items into component items for PoSI BDR items. For example, Favours in High Places can be earned by up-converting Stolen Kisses, which can be gained from the 500 glim option on the Gracious Widow card (a PoSI-only opportunity card), among other things.

Some professions also give certain component items. For example, Enforcer (Tier 2) gives Use of Villains each week, whereas Author (Tier 3) gives Cellars of Wine.

I liked Fighting a War of Assassins for Use of Villains; The Acacia and the Butterfly for Strong Backed Labour; Personal Recommendations are a bit harder but A Polite Invitation and going to the party will eventually get you one, it might be better to just buy those from the Sidestreets.

Good Luck.

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]Use of Villains in particular seem like hen teeth.[/quote]By Fighting a War of Assassins, you can exchange 2 Dramatic Tension for 2 Use of Villains. To do that, use the Choose an enemy! option at your lodgings and choose to make enemies with &quotA Ghost Mantled in Shadow&quot.
Edited to Add: By the way, if you did not know, Dramatic Tension can be acquired from multiple sources and then cashed in at any of the reward storylets. The wiki has a table that shows which storylets to use for certain rewards: Dramatic Tension
edited by Travers on 11/30/2015

Thank-you both! I will hope someone (else) starts trying to kill me.

• Is getting Strong Back Labour from Clay street a good option? - I remember seeing something about that last time I was down there.

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]Thank-you both! I will hope someone (else) starts trying to kill me.

• Is getting Strong Back Labour from Clay street a good option? - I remember seeing something about that last time I was down there.[/quote]

You’re welcome. =)

I did that once, but it increases Ruthless and drops Magnanimous. Not sure if that is ideal for RP purposes.

I also find it troublesome to gather all the components… Rather pay Echoes, to be honest. ._. Or get Labour from laborious grinds.
edited by Sestina Valdis on 11/30/2015

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte] Is getting Strong Back Labour from Clay street a good option? - I remember seeing something about that last time I was down there.[/quote]I prefer to spend actions more than items so the Dramatic Tension grinds are better to me.

Thank-you too- Professor Durward :)

[quote=Sestina Valdis]

You’re welcome. =)

I did that once, but it increases Ruthless and drops Magnanimous. Not sure if that is ideal for RP purposes.

I also find it troublesome to gather all the components… Rather pay Echoes, to be honest. ._. Or get Labour from laborious grinds.
edited by Sestina Valdis on 11/30/2015[/quote]

A shame. I had thought it would be more along the lines of getting some strong Golem-y chaps to carry my luggage around than cruel whip cracking. :/
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 11/30/2015

I’ve bought a couple of Clay Men myself, but only to free them. Call me the Great Emancipator. Very like the golems in Pratchett’s Night Watch stories.

– Mal

Okay, Charlotte, say hello to your new minion. I am a PoSI now! Just got in at 2000 local, which is good because I usually go to bed around 2130. However, I reckon I may just stay up a bit later today.
Ah, so many lovely things to do, now.
And my 400th post, there’s something significant in that, if I could just work out what it is. Well, &quotpost&quot and &quotposi&quot only have one different letter…
Oh, and goodie, somebody already wants to kill me. I feel so special!

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/1/2015

I am deducing that most BDR items are available via Opportunity Cards, with the components coming from the Side Streets or elsewhere, is this correct?

– Mal

Yup, they appear as golden cards. You pass the test on them and a golden story opens up in Bazaar Side Streets - you grind those for a while and eventually they’ll mug you for your wallet.

Also Yay! Well done Mal! What did you do to poor Alice in the end? PM me. Also go listen to all the celebratory music in the original post while I get the shears. Jippee! We have our first court Eunuch!

• Thank-you The Truthseeker! That has answered question I hadn’t even thought to ask yet :)
    edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 12/1/2015

Congratulations, Mal! You’ll be a welcome addition to the community of oh so important people of London.

Someone mentioned somewhere that a PoSI could adopt the Author profession without using the Bohemians card (and thus avoiding a 60 quid opportunity cost!). Is that another of those gold card options?

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Someone mentioned somewhere that a PoSI could adopt the Author profession without using the Bohemians card (and thus avoiding a 60 quid opportunity cost!). Is that another of those gold card options?

– Mal[/quote]

Congratulations, Mal! :)

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Become_an_Author
^ Hello, is it this you’re looking for? (Lionel Ritchie has been stuck in my head for awhile, and I haven’t even heard the whole song…)

I would personally go for the traditional route. Notability can be harder to come by than 60 quid! Also, that card can be a pain to draw sometimes, as you’ll soon figure out… ._.
edited by Sestina Valdis on 12/1/2015

Yes, on the an Unsigned Message card, which requires Notability 2.

I have achieved my velocipede. No one happens to have a spare notability lying around do they? Or are there other options than the roughly 30 echoes purchase of a slowcakes entry? I basically blew all my echoes getting to POSI and would rather not have to sell off a bunch of items just to get the echoes.

It doesn’t look like you need an Entry into Slowcake’s Exceptionals to qualify for a gift of one point of Notability, but you’ll definitely need one to raise it higher than that. It’s probably best to put raising it on hold until much later on anyways; getting Notability without the BDR you get from POSI items is challenging and not really worth the spent actions.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/1/2015

Also try asking the nice people here :)

Hmm, so is Connected/Society also required to raise Notability, in addition to MW and BDR? Or just the book?

– Mal

You get the book free with the first point of notability, which comes from an opp card. Connections can be exchanged for making waves, but are not necessary for notability.
Edit: now that i think about it, getting the book free sounds kinda weird. No idea where i got mine then.
edited by suinicide on 12/1/2015