The Janissary Guard: for perplexed new PoSI

Without being too spoiler-y, I’d appreciate advice on how much Casing a gent with 117 Shadowy and a boatload of Shadowy Second Chances should pile up to gank the offices at Concord Square. I read somewhere that Inside Information is better than an Escape Route, the question then becomes how much I.I. I should buy. I don’t want to overprepare too much, but I also don’t want to blow it.

– Mal

With regard to heists, I wouldn’t bother with any more than 30CP of casing: 15 to begin the heist, and 15 for 3 pieces of Inside Information. You can quickly get that with two instances of the fail-proof PoSI casing method (5 actions x 2). If that was too spoilery, I apologise. :)

[quote=malthaussen]Without being too spoiler-y, I’d appreciate advice on how much Casing a gent with 117 Shadowy and a boatload of Shadowy Second Chances should pile up to gank the offices at Concord Square. I read somewhere that Inside Information is better than an Escape Route, the question then becomes how much I.I. I should buy. I don’t want to overprepare too much, but I also don’t want to blow it.

– Mal[/quote]

People happen to have different preferences, but I actually like the escape route myself, particularly without a 4 card lodging. I do up to level 8 casing (easiest with the Gang, to be sure), bringing two inside information and an escape route. I like safety nets.

I recently did it with my alt using a four card lodging and easily got through with two Inside Information; that’s with an expensive item that helps out and knowing what to pick on each option. If you’re going in blind, it’d probably be good to take an escape route until you get the lay of the land.

I only have a three-card right now, but I have build up to 9 Casing, two Inside Information, and an Escape Route. Sufficient? I’m willing to blow a few more actions if further insurance is advisable. Does the Inside Information and Escape Route evaporate at the end of the job?

– Mal

For the record, the character I was using with the three pieces of Inside Info has a 3-card lodging (she’s stealing bazaar permits to get her 4-card lodging). She’s done ten heists so far with this method and has always succeeded.

Edit: Yes, you lose any unspent resources at the end of the heist. I think you have enough stuff.
edited by Zareen Bakara on 12/4/2015

Yes, that went well. The reward was kind of meh, but better capers await.

– Mal

I am now officially a POSI.

I have already passed all the checks to get a ship. It said that if I choose one, it will be hard to change. I want the Zubmarine, but it looks hard to make…

[quote=malthaussen]Yes, that went well. The reward was kind of meh, but better capers await.

– Mal[/quote]
Really? the reward felt amazing to me. just so many stat points- it’d normally take like 3x as much grinding to get stats of that magnitude. i am assuming you did the heist name thing, and not another repeatable heist.

[quote=th8827]I am now officially a POSI.

I have already passed all the checks to get a ship. It said that if I choose one, it will be hard to change. I want the Zubmarine, but it looks hard to make…[/quote]

The Zub is a bit of a grind but there is no reason not to take the basic ship, which costs a few relics, first. You don’t have to repeat the first stages of getting a ship when you want to change and that way you can go zailing, see what’s out there and then get all the components you need for the Zub (or any other ship).

I also have recently - well, it feels recently, but now I check my calendar it seems my celebratory honey-addled debauchery has lasted for nearly a month! - been scouted out by the Ambitious Barrister and made my initial forays into the sidestreets.

I’ve spent most of the time since then focusing on getting a four-card lodging, but now that’s done I see a whole world of opportunities opening up before me and like you folks I feel a little lost.; as lost as when I first escaped from - er, had my carriage bring me down into the Neath in entirely respectable circumstances. Ahem. I think this thread is a great idea!
edited by Blitherington Smythe on 12/5/2015

Well done th8827! That’s brilliant! I had not even started looking at a ship yet, too busy fighting for BDR and Waves.

Welcome and congratulations to you too Blitherington Smythe! I’ve almost enough of you now to carry my Sedan-chair!

:king:
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 12/5/2015

@Blitherington-Smythe: congratulations and welcome! So glad to have someone else to distract from Lady Charlotte’s gentle attentions! But why don’t you echo anything in your journal? It’s nice for the voyeurs to see where one has been.:)
@Th8827: Well done, I’m nowhere near ready for a ship myself. I keep getting distracted by shiny new things… oh look, a Newspaper!
@Charlotte: I think that makes four minions, doesn’t it? Maleclypse, Blitherington-Smyth, Th8827, and your humble obedient?

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/5/2015

Such insolence from the back ranks! :badrazz:

“I am that woman whose works are good.
Under my veil is kingly power.
The curtain of chastity is my strength
where the idle westwind travelers cannot pass.
I withhold the beauty of my shadow
from the sun that gads about in the marketplace.
I hold lordship over all the world
yet before the Lord my business is to serve.

Two yards of veil won’t make any woman a lady
							 								 									nor a hat make any head worth of command.
							 								 								For whom should I remove my veil
							 								 									when in its place would be a priceless crown?
							 								 								I am a ruler from the dynasty of Ologh Soltan.
							 								 								If there is sovereignty in this world, 
							 								 									it takes after us.”

I picked the Master Thief prize from the A Rainbow of Offerings option in the Sidestreets. It gave me almost everything that I needed for the ship. The only thing that I needed to do was go to the Clay Quarter in Ladybone Road for an extra two Hard Backed Laborers.[li]
edited by th8827 on 12/5/2015

That is good to know, thank-you! I had been holding off picking until I had a better idea of what I was going to need most.

Sorry if so, but just to check in case not- did you see earlier posts about the potential downsides of the Clay Quarter Strong-backed Labour option?

I read it, but I’m too poor to afford the Echos at the moment.

What is the best way to get Whirring Contraptions?

[quote=th8827]I read it, but I’m too poor to afford the Echos at the moment.

What is the best way to get Whirring Contraptions?[/quote]
There’s a grind in willmot’s end for 3 points dramatic tension and the end of the 4th loop, you can aquire one. this has a replacement-cost of about… 83 echoes, since you could buy 1.333 collections of curiousities for the same price, and turn them into 62.5 echoes on the tomb-colonists card.

Or you could just grind the beetles with lamplighter wax and the memory of light with side conversions, which costs… 60 echoes in resources. But the only really good method for the wax is unfinished business in veilgarden, specifically, &quota lovely thought&quot. I don’t know how good of a grind that is.

or you could just spend 60 echoes for the wax and side craft for the light, if you’re in a hurry and/or money is no object.
edited by Grenem on 12/5/2015

How do I build Dramatic Tension?

Somebody has to decide to kill you, first. Then you enter the War of Assassins. Acquiring progress in that will earn you Dramatic Tension. (“Somebody” in this case meaning an NPC, not a fellow denizen)

– Mal