The Jack of Smiles Case

Is there a storylet in Ladybones Road?

Sounds like you took the Fate option. To proceed, you need to wait for bronze opportunity cards to appear, to raise your Jack-of-Smiles Case (NOT your Seeking the Next Breakthrough) to 9.

They seem to appear somewhat slowly. But then again, this choice really should be something we have to live with for awhile.

EDITED to add: This whole Jack of Smiles storyline has always put me in mind of Tim Powers’ The Anubis Gates, a book that I highly recommend to all my Delicious Friends.
edited by Woogawoman on 5/27/2012
edited by Woogawoman on 5/27/2012

I am waiting for the eventual “sacrifice your constant companions”. Then “sacrifice every single pets of yours”. And then “all connections”. And then “fake invites of social actions to friends that kill them stone dead and burn away their echoes”. Throw in a “cook your Overgoat” portion for extra spice.

As for the Jack case… I guess I will grind for the next breakthrough before I make my decision on whether to become Jack or not.
edited by Byron Man on 5/27/2012

I really doubt that. Seeking the Name seems very big on hurting YOURSELF, not others. The text gives the impression that a person seeking the name is a masochist, and would actually feel upset that someone else is being punished instead of themselves.

I took the fate-locked option, and got several bronze cards after that. However, they don’t increase any of my qualities, only giving me some appalling secrets (and nice story). Am I missing something here?

Not all the cards given by the stories increase story-related qualities. And those that do seem rather rare. It’s a slow leg of the story, I’m afraid.

[quote=Byron Man]I am waiting for the eventual “sacrifice your constant companions”. Then “sacrifice every single pets of yours”. And then “all connections”. And then “fake invites of social actions to friends that kill them stone dead and burn away their echoes”. Throw in a “cook your Overgoat” portion for extra spice.

As for the Jack case… I guess I will grind for the next breakthrough before I make my decision on whether to become Jack or not.
edited by Byron Man on 5/27/2012[/quote]

I like the way you think. You might like to know they toyed around with the idea of a 1000 fate option that deleted our character. I wonder if that’s still going to be the punchline of that story.

Well. It’s done. I wasn’t fool enough to take the knife myself, but I did pay my Fate to see that both justice and my curiosity were served.

This said, I found the denouement…revelatory. It’s unsurprising to learn that the Masters’ notions of romance are suspect at best, but the Bazaar rejecting their attempt to manufacture it suggests that the title “Master of the Bazaar” is more than a bit presumptuous. Are they perhaps simply the Bazaar’s oldest and most intimate thralls, driven to delusions of grandeur?

Precisely my own thoughts - just who is the Master, here?

How do you start the case, if the Velocipede squad is closed to you? An opportunity card?

Yeah, there is an opportunity card. I’m not sure if it’s location specific. I believe the card’s called “The Wheels of the Law”.

If you’re an Exceptional Friend, you can also start it at the House of Chimes.

So once I get my related skill to eight do I have to go threw another cycle of the spinning wheels to finally catch Jack?

Seriously I have no idea how to progress this storyline any further. Help me. T^T
edited by Cubethulhu on 5/28/2012

[quote=Branden Linton]So once I get my related skill to eight do I have to go threw another cycle of the spinning wheels to finally catch Jack?

Seriously I have no idea how to progress this storyline any further. Help me. T^T
edited by Cubethulhu on 5/28/2012[/quote]

Check what your The Jack of Smiles Case level is (Not to be confused with Seeking the Next Breakthrough… ). I’m currently at 10 and the evidence and story indicates I need to head to [color=#ffffff]Polythreme[/color]. I did not take the initial 10 fate [color=#ffffff]become jack [/color]option.

Did anyone echo the non-fate conclusion(s) to the storyline?

Without revealing too much, the path branches of again later for the non-fate option (with a 10 fate option to have your cake and eat it), and then again in the end of at least one of the branches. I’ve echoed everything for the road I chose to take.

Also, I feel it is noteworthy that the road I had chosen netted me 60 extraordinary implications for reaching the ‘Major Plot Point’, then 100 correspondence plaques as a reward for my silence.
edited by Alexander von Brennenburg on 5/29/2012

For those that took the first fate locked option, how many cards did you see? So far I’ve only seen three (one of which did not grant me any progress), and I’m almost to Jack of Smiles Case 9. I heard about the possibility of gaining a quality as well (Are they talking about you?) but am unsure if that is as a result of a card or simply getting to Jack of Smiles Case 9.

Since you added this as an edit I missed it the first time through - but I also highly recommend that book! It also made me hunger for more Jack of Smiles content (despite not being directly related to Jack in any way) when I listened to it as an audio book.

[quote=Alexander von Brennenburg]Without revealing too much, the path branches of again later for the non-fate option (with a 10 fate option to have your cake and eat it), and then again in the end of at least one of the branches. I’ve echoed everything for the road I chose to take.

Also, I feel it is noteworthy that the road I had chosen netted me 60 extraordinary implications for reaching the ‘Major Plot Point’, then 100 correspondence plaques as a reward for my silence.
edited by Alexander von Brennenburg on 5/29/2012[/quote]

I think I chose the same as you (did not take the first Fate option, but did use Fate for the best of both worlds) but saw no other places to use Fate. No Correspondence plaques or pledges of secrecy for me, but I do have a statue and 4 Cellars of Wine as well as some other items. Huh.

Edit: Just looked at your Journal, and we did not choose the same Fate choice. Interesting.

http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Niobe
edited by AnnMCN on 5/29/2012

Ah, in fact, I didn’t spend any fate on this storyline, and choose to solely pursue the reason behind Jack, leaving the ironworker’s shop intact.

Someone asked this earlier in the thread, but I didn’t see a reply – I took the first fate-locked option, so I know I am waiting for cards to appear that will raise my Jack-of-Smiles Case quality, rather than “Seeking the Next Breakthrough”, which is what I needed to raise prior to making the fate choice. My question: is there any point to raising “Seeking the Next Breakthrough” any further? Will I need it? I have a couple of the Connected cards I’ve been saving, but don’t want to waste blocks of 5 actions if that quality isn’t used any more in the Jack story.