The Jack of Smiles Case

I refused the first fate-locked option in this storyline but took the second, and I’m wondering how the story comes out if one “pursues the reason behind Jack, leaving the ironworker’s shop intact.” Would you be kind enough to let me know how you fared? I can be reached at cathy at thyrsus dot com.

r.matey: I believe that quality is not used anymore. At least, I’ve gotten to the overseas section of the story and haven’t needed it yet.

I require assistance. I currently have my Jack-of-Smiles Case quality at 9, but I do not know how to progress further. I currently have one option, but it is locked because I do not have the requisite quality. However, I don’t know how to get it. And because I feel like spoiler-marking, I have included more descriptions below:

[color=#ffffff]I have my Jack-of-Smiles quality at 9, but the only option now is to Tell the Inspector. To progress with this, I need the quality Are they talking about you? raised up to 2. However, I haven’t a clue how to raise it. The description says that I will get opportunity cards, but I have been going through my deck often now, and I haven’t come across anything that helps. What should I be looking for, and where?[/color]

I’m in the same boat. There is mention of it in another thread, found here. There doesn’t seem to be much information yet.

The[color=#ffffff] “Are they talking about you?”[/color] quality appears to have been [color=#ffffff]added to the newspaper cards (not the Jack memory ones)[/color] somewhat after the fact. Hopefully you can still get one with your Jack Case at 9, meaning you’re just back to waiting for one to pop. Might be worth double checking with FBG though, to ensure you’re not locked out due to the late code change.

Does this mean I should Get those blasted machines running and wait for newspaper cards?

If you took the Fate-cost option to get to 7 and then slowly to 9, then the opportunity cards you are looking for are quite rare, have titles in ALL CAPS, give 5 appalling secrets, and use the ‘newspaper’ picture. Play those.

I don’t know how to get that quality in the non-fate route.

I do suggest trying out things to do with Jack that you may have tried in earlier cycles; that requisite quality was apparently added while we were in the midst of the story. I got very lucky to get exactly two of the cards I needed right before hitting 9.
edited by M_L_G on 5/29/2012

I took the non-fate option. Does this mean that I could be out of luck to progress further? Who/how should I contact at FBG to find out?

[quote=M_L_G]If you took the Fate-cost option to get to 7 and then slowly to 9, then the opportunity cards you are looking for are quite rare, have titles in ALL CAPS, give 5 appalling secrets, and use the ‘newspaper’ picture. Play those.

I don’t know how to get that quality in the non-fate route.

I do suggest trying out things to do with Jack that you may have tried in earlier cycles; that requisite quality was apparently added while we were in the midst of the story. I got very lucky to get exactly two of the cards I needed right before hitting 9.
edited by M_L_G on 5/29/2012[/quote]

I actually got an abundance of those cards… they did not raise any quality though. I haven’t gotten one of those in a few days though, so if they’ve changed since then I may just not have seen it.

I’d like to echo (a thousand pardons) this information request… I’ve got two of those cards sitting in my hand, currently, and would like to clear up the space, one way or t’other.

I’d like to echo (a thousand pardons) this information request… I’ve got two of those cards sitting in my hand, currently, and would like to clear up the space, one way or t’other.[/quote]

I believe there is no longer any point to more Seeking the Next Breakthrough. I’m on the last (I think?) storylet, and it hasn’t been needed.

Yes, I believe they changed it. I played a bunch and they did nothing, but then the last two that I played before getting to The Jack of Smiles case 9 did something. I think the change was yesterday? Or maybe the day before that?

No, she just means the Opportunity Card has a folded newspaper on it. There is no need to go to Doubt Street.

I got THAT elevated to 2 … but it’s taking me a VERY long time to get the other characteristic from 8 to 9 …

[quote=cathyr19355]
I refused the first fate-locked option in this storyline but took the second, and I’m wondering how the story comes out if one “pursues the reason behind Jack, leaving the ironworker’s shop intact.” Would you be kind enough to let me know how you fared? I can be reached at cathy at thyrsus dot com.[/quote]

Why, of course I would. Everything has been echoed to my journal, which I always keep neat and tidy. Here is a link : http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Alexander%20von%20Brennenburg?fromEcho=0

Like I said, the only material rewards were 60 extraordinary implications and 100 correspondence plaques.
edited by Alexander von Brennenburg on 5/30/2012

A question about the ending…

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Leaving the ironworker’s shop intact seems to give you a choice regarding “how you want to play this,” doesn’t it? I took the Fate route, and I was never offered such a choice - in fact, the game seems to have quite rudely decided that I should stick with The Powers That Be - my lodgings only contain the [/color][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Another Round With Jack [/color][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]storylet. Did I miss something? I was actually quite annoyed about the lack of an option to unwisely snub one’s nose at certain powerful parties. [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]I mean, what will the others in the Cause think of me?[/color]
[/color]
edited by Cedric Appleby on 5/30/2012

I got the same thing, you didn’t miss anything I think.

I chose the Fate locked best of both, and when I returned to London, there was a very ostentatious ending – suitable! I even have a statue in a small park somewhere.

I haven’t seen all the endings, but the interpretation I took away from that Fate choice is [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]that one has done the Masters as much damage and brought oneself as much publicity as one can without entirely sacrificing one’s own safety[/color].

It seems from various echoes to journals that the end of the story is the same for both those who chose to become Jack and those who did not, with the Fate option simply requiring less cards and with more…shall we say “colourful” text?
Without spoilers to Fate locked endings, can this be confirmed or denied?

Seems like it, yes.

Hi, I just got a reply back from FBG and apparently this was a bug.