The Jack of Smiles Case

Any card that starts with “Learn from…” will do. Learn from churchmen, Learn persuasive skills from your society connections, learn from boheminas, and so on and so forth.

As someone who likes dark and vile stories, I found myself stuck when the fate option presented itself. I wanted to see what would happen oh so dearly… but in the end I decided to stick with what’s in-character for my person and not become Jack.

I’m in a similar pickle - I like knowing things, which is why I’ve so far chosen pretty much every Fate option that’s ever been available to me. Unfortunately, I just can’t pick this one from a character standpoint - normally this wouldn’t bother me, but since it’s a Fate option, I can’t just go and read up on it somewhere. Blah, I don’t know what to do.

I’m rather fortunate - my Sir Fred account is too conscientious to keep working with the Squad or to become Jack, and so is taking the long, slow path - but Hubris has no such compunctions, so I can see both sides. From what I’ve seen so far, not taking the Fate option is still perfectly valid - just different.

While my fellow is quite idealistic he also wishes to investigate all the secrets around, i don’t think i could in good conscience NOT dive into the deep end of the pool regarding this choice

Brrrrr. I’m taking the nonFate option and am starting to wonder if those of us who are doing that are searching for those of us who choose to become Jack. The latest Jack is very good at it.

It wouldn’t be the first time. I remember something about arson.

…And there is the sad business of… shady characters robbing drunk people. One can “correct” this sort of misbehavior in the Velocipede squad, but the crime itself does sound oddly familiar.

I went through everything that was (so far) involved in Seeking the Name…

All of it.

…But only because I was the only one to pay the price. I couldn’t countenance getting innocents involved. This time it’s the slow and careful path for me.

On the one hand, I’m really curious about that content. On the other hand, I couldn’t bring myself to make the Fate choice. Maybe with my secondary character later on.

Maybe.

Frankly, I rationalized that my character was confident enough to believe that he would be the one to be able to resist the call to become Jack.

(He wasn’t.)

Please be forewarned that the Fate-locked Jack content is violent and bloody. Truly not for everyone. If you are squeamish about such things I deeply urge you not to take that path.
If you prefer your crime drama more Agatha Cristie/CSI then the Fate locked option isn’t for you.

The warning given before the choice is there for a very good reason. That warning was almost a dare for Nigel to pick it. He’s more of a Luther/The Wire fan.

Hubris is copying his Jack experiences to his journal, if you want to read them there. By the way, wasn’t Cedric Appleby a washed-up industrialist in Arcanum?

I just realised that as well and deleted the post. Not quick enough, it seems. I apologise for the inconvenience.

The very one! That’s what you get for not stealing your steam engine designs from the dwarves, I suppose.

Bates really was a bit of a cad - a Good-aligned cad, within the game mechanics but still a cad - and you couldn’t call him out on it without him losing his temper and attacking you. A good game, but it badly wanted more development time and money, so its construction could meet its ambitions.

Indeed, Bates was a fairly interesting character - even though I always found the allusion in the name a little cringeworthy (Gil Bates? Really?). I initially considered adopting that name, but Cedric Appleby has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

Definitely. Arcanum is a true classic even in its half-finished state, but if it had actually received the due amount of polish… everything about Troika games screams ‘wasted potential’.

Hear hear. Bloodlines is marvellous with some of the fan patches. I don’t know whether anyone’s done the same for Arcanum - between the broken magic/tech trees, the bugged storylines (including many of the endings) and some of the rather iffy dialogue, there’d be a lot to do.

I’m not sure of how this turned into a discussion about Toika games, but I approve nonetheless. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is one of the most unique video game experience I’ve ever had. And I didn’t even play as a Malkavian the first time. Oh, the joy of discovering an entirely new writing when I did. Found a bit of that in the Iron Republic.

Anyways, it would appear Jack-of-Smiles has some kind of…unfinished business with London as a whole. Wonder how this will play out.

In my case, well, curiosity killed the cat.

…a lot of cats.

Wow. They weren’t kidding when this stuff gets really freakin’ disturbing.

What do i need to advance The Jack-of-Smiles Case 7, I have Seeking the Next Breakthrough up to 9 and still cant find anything.

edited by a delirious detective on 5/27/2012