The Inflammatory Salon

&quotFeducci is certainly arrogant and dangerous, but he’s only one man. If anything is to be done about him we need to deal with the whole problem and not just the tip of the Lifeberg. Maybe it’s Stone, not the Uttershroom, we should be turning our attention towards. If only it was us, and not them, who had that power. Alas, I fear London’s forces simply aren’t big enough to change anything these days.&quot

(Hark looks down and slips a cat out of their cloak. The cat begins to lick up the spilled tea)
&quotThere. That one should deal with the little ‘accident’. I feel sorry for whoever has to clean this place up.&quot
edited by Hark DeGaul on 4/1/2016

[quote=Hark DeGaul]
(Hark looks down and slips a cat out of their cloak. The cat begins to lick up the spilled tea)
&quotThere. That one should deal with the little ‘accident’. I feel sorry for whoever has to clean this place up.&quot[/quote]

&quotDon’t let the cat lap up glass shards.&quot (It’s Lamea. Lamea has to clean it up.)

&quotOne never really lets a cat do anything, do they? They do what they want. Besides, she’s being quite careful. Aren’t you?&quot
(The cat shoots Hark a dark glare and mutters something unrepeatable about ‘upstart humans.’)
&quotLanguage! This may be an inflammatory salon, but it’s still a salon. Don’t get us thrown out.&quot

[quote=Hark DeGaul]

&quotOne never really lets a cat do anything, do they? They do what they want. Besides, she’s being quite careful. Aren’t you?&quot
(The cat shoots Hark a dark glare and mutters something unrepeatable about ‘upstart humans.’)
&quotLanguage! This may be an inflammatory salon, but it’s still a salon. Don’t get us thrown out.&quot[/quote]

&quotNo, no. The cat can say what she likes.&quot

Maria sighs [li]
&quotSometimes I wonder whetzer moving here was good… let’s see. I can be open about my sexuality, get to learn at an university, met friends and Eliza. What are the bad points… talking cats? What awaited me on the surface? Forced marriage, a monastery or prison. London wins.&quot
she smiles
&quotAnyways, I can clean up the bloody? Yes, bloody, china if you want. That way cat no hurt! Like cats! Had cat home. Cats smart. Even if talk… which makes them smarter, don’t think?&quot

&quotOr we could find the umbilical cord, and cut it.&quot[/quote]

How would that help? Hm… Is there a way we can display his throughly multilated and charred remains to the Presbyterate as a warning?

“As the events of '68 and everything that followed have clearly demonstrated, devils are superior to us in many respects. Perhaps ‘should we trust them?’ is not the most relevant question. Perhaps we would be better off asking 'how can we best emulate them?”."

[quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole]

How would that help? Hm… Is there a way we can display his throughly multilated and charred remains to the Presbyterate as a warning?[/quote]

&quotOh, they say the Presbyterates ‘walk with their umbilical cords uncut’ or something like that. It’s probably a reference to their immortality, and not literal.&quot

&quotI find it hard to argue with this.&quot
edited by Lamea Lawless on 4/2/2016

&quotWhile such ‘might makes right’ logic is very in keeping with Britain’s Imperial spirit, I’d point out there’s a difference between winning a battle and being utterly superior. Devils are certainly physically and, in many cases, mentally superior to most humans, but they appear to lack the capacity to truly appreciate most art and they are almost entirely self-serving. Their society has no grounding and if the humans of the Iron Republic are any indication the natural consequence of humanity living by Hell’s rules is madness and misery. Emulating them is like trying to emulate a squid: we are too dissimilar for it to actually help us. Everything devils do better than us they do because they were born devils (are devils born?) and everything we could actually change to be more like them would only make us worse.&quot

&quotI’m certain that would end in war, and London will lose any outright war with the Presbyterate. I feel the correct solution, if we could kill Feducci, would be to kill him in such a way that suggested another people had done it. Sending the Presbyterate into civil war, or setting it against the might of the Iron Republic, Irem or the Khanate would give us more control of the situation as both sides would presumably vie to win London’s support.&quot
edited by Hark DeGaul on 4/2/2016

We need to see all facets of the gem before deciding it’s worth, if you get my meaning. Killing Feducci is more trouble than it could ever be worth, so it would be more prudent to draw lines and borders rather than scimitars and bayonets.
If he truly means no harm, then we cannot risk provoking him or the Presbyterate. If he does, then we can always reason with him. Violence must always be a last resort.
Also, as a former duellist of the Black Ribbon, I can attest that butchering him is not an option. I never managed to beat him in extended melee, but I saw someone who did.
This man simply cannot be killed. At least not the way a Londoner can.

How do we keep the Presbyterate out of our hair? Can we use their superstitions against them somehow?

Maybe. But they will certainly use our superstitions against us. Ideas such as morality and god-given superiority.
If we allow our egos to get in the way of negotiations with the Presbyterate, we’ll be playing into their hands.
But all these political discussions are getting rather scritchy. Certainly there must be some investigators or constables here who could posit some moral stance on how we deal with criminals in this fair city?

Does anyone have any associates or acquaintances who could comment on the current state of conditions in New Newgate? Are the rumors of creatures running about in the prison really true?

I’ve been in and out on many occasions. False charges, of course. Yes, there are creatures running about. Feral rats bigger than any Rattus Faber I’ve met, some sort of… thing lurking in the oubliettes… and snuffers. Of course, snuffers.
It’s a miracle anyone makes it out of that place alive, parole or no.

Maria: &quotCreatures… prison bad. You don’t want to go there, though I met a nice forger there. He goes legir. I plan to do so too… my sister stilll better forger, but that is not the matter. As Eli said, I don’t know how I got out. Was imprisoned for art, at least. A good cause.&quot

I recall a team from the Department of Menace Eradication caught something there a few years back.

Well, monsters are a lot like sand. Too numerous to mention, an absolute taff to clean up and they get in all those uncomfortable, hard to reach places.
I am a fan of the beasts most of the time. They’re an easy way to get away with murder, if that’s what you need to do. Someone’s face gets sliced off and their body covered in stab wounds? Obviously the work of a snuffer. Nobody else could possibly replicate such an attack, right?
Memorized as many bestiary as I could get my hands on. Can imitate spider-council attacks, marsh-wolves and fungus colonies. Drownies are easy, they basically do the work for free.

Doesn’t that make it harder on the more harmless ones, driving up the apparent number of attacks by Snuffers?

I didn’t know there were such thing as ‘harmless’ Snuffers. I suppose there is always room for possibility, but I don’t conduct business on ‘ifs’, ‘buts’ or ‘maybes’.

Perhaps ‘harmless’ is not the right word. They are all quite dangerous, but some of them are presumably more mild mannered than the ones up in New Newgate. It would be sensible for something that dies easily to stay out of trouble.
edited by Bertrand Leonidas Poole on 5/8/2016