The Inflammatory Salon

[quote=The Absurd Rogue]We don’t need such a creature prowling about. Nor do we deserve it. Sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I thought snuffers were a myth until last Saturday.
Do we have any proof at all that this isn’t just the journalists fettering the foolish, as the often do?[/quote]

Really? Only since Sunday? Care to elaborate?

As to the Vake, know this : It is prideful. It is too loud. It swoops down on things. It likes aromatic woods.

&quotThe V— is some sort of bizarre, bat-like vigilante? How preposterous. Are you sure it isn’t just a particularly large bat with a hunger for human flesh and an appreciation for love stories, possessed of a terrifying resilience and intellect the likes of which mankind can not even comprehend? Now that’s much more believable.
Anyway, I’ve heard a lot of you Vake-hunting chaps have been teaching mandrakes to sing as of late. Have any of you considered forming a mandrake choir? I’d certainly buy a ticket.&quot
edited by Hark DeGaul on 4/1/2016

Are we not talking about fungicide anymore?

Can’t we send the Vake to kill all the mushrooms? I think it owes us that much, being that it’s such a d—ed nuisance all the time. Perhaps we could set up a Vake-trap or… whatever it is you lot do to get one over on the Vake and then talk shop with it. This is, by my estimation, an idea without the faintest possibility of catastrophe.

Not fungicide. We are complaing about that roguish scoundrel Feducci.

Oh, is that right? Send the Vake to kill him, too, or tie him to a bit of masonry and throw him in the river. I’m far from fond of the fellow. He’s a brute of the highest order.

I don’t think we can command the Vake if we haven’t even managed to capture it as of yet. You’re welcome to try to do either.
Also, I’d prefer not to talk about snuffers in detail for the time being. It might open up old wounds. Literally. These stitches itch something fearsome.

Maria: I am confused about hell… and the local alphabet, but that isn’t important. What do they want, how is hell looking, why are they wearing weird clothes? And is stealing from them worth trouble… I tolerate them, but I am afraid…[li]
edited by Rysiek on 4/1/2016

If I am not mistaken, hell is only interested in keeping the soul trade going, they have overthrown their monarch and they like their weird clothes.
Everything I know.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 6/15/2016

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus][
If I am not mistaken, hell is only interested in keeping the soul trade going, the have overthrown their monarch and they like their weird clothes.
Everything I know.[/quote]

&quotNot everything outside of London’s fashions is ‘weird.’ In some countries you’re even allowed to show a little leg. Devils dress according to their own sense of aesthetics, not ours.&quot (She chooses not to comment on either the monarchy, or the soul trade.)

The only thing that matters about devils is: you don’t trust devils.

I am not an advocate for devil genocide, but I do think it is foolish to regard them as anything but adversaries. Benevolent adversaries, ruthless adversaries, magnanimous adversaries, dangerous adversaries… Never allies.

[quote=Professor Strix]The only thing that matters about devils is: you don’t trust devils.

I am not an advocate for devil genocide, but I do think it is foolish to regard them as anything but adversaries. Benevolent adversaries, ruthless adversaries, magnanimous adversaries, dangerous adversaries… Never allies.[/quote]

&quotYou say that, yet our city benefits from their brass and hydrogen. London would not run half as smoothly without a trade relationship with Hell.&quot

[li]
Maria: &quotI didn’t mean exactly all outside London fashion was weird, just… completely different and Uniform devils dress… wonder where country with leg show… have to go there she shakes her head… wait, we buy Hydrogen… how did Mendlejew… H?

&quotYes, regrettable isn’t it. I won’t lie, the soul trade has made me a great deal of money, but it’s so hard to deal with creatures whose every affectation is an act designed to win your confidence. I was once a great admirer of an affectionate devil, and thought myself greatly admired. Foolish. Devils cannot feel.&quot

[quote=Hark DeGaul]
&quotYes, regrettable isn’t it. I won’t lie, the soul trade has made me a great deal of money, but it’s so hard to deal with creatures whose every affectation is an act designed to win your confidence. I was once a great admirer of an affectionate devil, and thought myself greatly admired. Foolish. Devils cannot feel.&quot[/quote]

&quotI wouldn’t say it is an affectation so much as they are trying very hard to operate according to human mores and etiquette, and are forced to overcompensate somewhat. And they do feel. What they feel, exactly, might not be comparable to human emotions of love. But everything loves. Cats, Shapelings, stars… everything loves. I’m sorry things turned out poorly for you. They might not always.&quot

&quotIt warms my heart to see Londoners who still have so much hope, although I fear you’re as safe with devils as you are with lawyers. Perhaps, one day, you will prove me wrong about devils. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. I will admit though that devils can offer us amazing opportunities if properly handled. If only the Brimstone Convention were more prominent we could even play them against each other. Think of the fun it would be to watch the devils have to deal with their exiled lords! I say we let the Convention in to London (after we’ve burnt the Uttershroom and unleashed the Vake upon Irem of course.)&quot

[quote=Hark DeGaul]
&quotIt warms my heart to see Londoners who still have so much hope, although I fear you’re as safe with devils as you are with lawyers. Perhaps, one day, you will prove me wrong about devils. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.[/quote]

&quotI’ve lived and worked with devils for two years now, and nothing bad has happened to me. Humans can be treacherous, too. Jewel thieves who seduce you for your rubies. Artists who flit from wealthy lover to wealthy lover like butterflies do flowers. Spies and agents who loosen your lips with a few kisses, and make off with your secrets.&quot

(She slowly and deliberately slides an entire tea set off the tray. Everything breaks very loudly.) &quotOh, no. The China.&quot

But there’s still the problem of Feducci! We need to chop him into at least 100 little bits and then burn the bits!

[quote=Lamea Lawless]
&quotI’ve lived and worked with devils for two years now, and nothing bad has happened to me. Humans can be treacherous, too. Jewel thieves who seduce you for your rubies. Artists who flit from wealthy lover to wealthy lover like butterflies do flowers. Spies and agents who loosen your lips with a few kisses, and make off with your secrets&quot [/quote]
[li]

Maria attempts to joke &quotSome also steal your heart she turns serious again and gets a bottle of Mushroom Vodka from her jacket, filling it into her teacup Not all humans treacherous. I am thief, but we have a very strong honour, maam. We don’t betray our comrades. Never, under any cases. Ask my friend, Eli, if you want. I don’t abuse such a wonderful thing as love, too. You can trust criminal. I, Citizen Maria Konstantynopolska, swear I never will betray my lover and I won’t rob her. When I arrived, had an affair with heiress. I didn’t take anything from her. And I will never rob her, as I won’t anyone I broke up with. If I break this promise, may I be poisoned a dozen times with horrible, surface poison, then with vake poison and THEN land in Hell… um, I won’t be put in hell for loving people like Eliza, will I?&quot

&quotPrecisely my point. Some groups of people being treacherous doesn’t mean all people in that category are treacherous. And unless Eliza had you sign a contract, I don’t think so.&quot

&quotOr we could find the umbilical cord, and cut it.&quot