The Game of Knife and Candle

How much does it increase/decrease on a loss/win?

How much does it increase/decrease on a loss/win?[/quote]
For me at least, it dropped a single digit on a win. No unfortunate losses (yet).

+2 Baroque on a loss - but that took me down to my last token so have taken myself out of London. Back in a day or two.

The thing that I find most intriguing about this may well be swallowed up by Mr Iron, but I shall express it nonetheless.

The person who first invited me to this non-existant club by giving me his non-existant token was… None other than Mr Iron himself.
edited by PetulantProcrastinator on 4/11/2013

What’s his aim? To increase the iron trade by encouraging knife-wielding maniacs to purchase more knives to wield? To make sure said maniacs are so preoccupied with stabbing each other that they don’t become nuisances to anyone else in the city? Is his ultimate goal to win the annual Fallen London Businessman and Good Samaritan awards?

Meh, he’s probably gonna throw the best murderers to Mr Eaten as a get-well fruit basket.

My main questions were if he’s starting them again why do it unofficial like and hush it up this time?

I certainly think that I should be intrigued by an invitation to employ both bladed implements and illuminative wax, and would carefully examine any such invitation.

K&C Tip:

• If you find yourself low on tokens (1-2) and are under heavy pressure simply head out to Zee on your boat - no one can attack you outside Fallen London. But you will still continue to receive iron tokens from daily deliveries, so you can throw off attackers and recover Iron Tokens over time. Then just before entering London wait for your card & opportunity to stack to recover for maximum efficiency. You can either put out to Zee and choose to return to Fallen London or spend time visiting one of the Islands. As an added bonus you will also be grinding Zee-Voyager Experience which may be useful down the line.
  • Added Note: If you expect to be away from Fallen London for a while it is best you head out to Zee for your own protection. That way you won’t find yourself paupered for tokens when you get back into the game.

[quote=Owen Wulf]K&C Tip:

• If you find yourself low on tokens (1-2) and are under heavy pressure simply head out to Zee on your boat - no one can attack you outside Fallen London. But you will still continue to receive iron tokens from daily deliveries, so you can throw off attackers and recover Iron Tokens over time. Then just before entering London wait for your card & opportunity to stack to recover for maximum efficiency. You can either put out to Zee and choose to return to Fallen London or spend time visiting one of the Islands. As an added bonus you will also be grinding Zee-Voyager Experience which may be useful down the line.
  • Added Note: If you expect to be away from Fallen London for a while it is best you head out to Zee for your own protection. That way you won’t find yourself paupered for tokens when you get back into the game.[/quote]

Great advice! Thanks.

[quote=Catherine Raymond]
Great advice! Thanks.[/quote]

Admittedly this would perhaps be more comfortable for our characters if we had the Majestic Pleasure Yacht as our vessel and not, oh say, a cramped Zubmarine.

[quote=Owen Wulf][quote=Catherine Raymond]
Great advice! Thanks.[/quote]

Admittedly this would perhaps be more comfortable for our characters if we had the Majestic Pleasure Yacht as our vessel and not, oh say, a cramped Zubmarine.[/quote]

Well, there IS always the option of turning in your Zubmarine and getting a clipper or something. :-)

I worked hard for my Zub, its my baby :)

edited by Owen Wulf on 4/15/2013

An alternative to putting to sea would be to visit Flute Street, if you have access.

Have any of you who happen to know your defender’s or attacker’s stance had an attack with a smaller stat succeed, or an attack with a higher stat fail? I had seen several when K&C first started, but I haven’t seen one since the special attacks for bronze medallion holders went live. It’s possible it’s just a string of luck, too, but for me it’s been paper-rock-very sharp scissors lately.

I assume you refer to the ‘An implausible penance’ card? So far I have just been discarding it because of the text saying it will decrease my connection.

Criminals happens to be who am I ‘closest to’, not that that matters a lot. My connection with them is a paltry 31 but that is because there are not many cards that increase it (without decreasing another connection).

Seeing as all the options just redirect to different cards/storylets it seems of no value to decrease my connection for that.

Seriously? Hmmm, if that’s true it would be fantastic. But I first need access and that may take some time.

Seems I’m rather popular with some people, seeing how often they visit my lodgings to discuss the finer ‘points’ of Knife and Candle (and taking my very last token on five occasions).

I’m not sure if I should be honoured by their interest…

The list below is taken from my messages tab. I have not done any attacks, these were all attacks on me. (I’ve removed from the list the few attacks I did on my alts to get some tokens back.)

The good news is that I am winning more than losing lately (sure to change after posting this :-).

(18 hours ago) twillspresso (Narcess in Fallen London)
(1 days ago) twillspresso (Narcess in Fallen London)
(1 days ago) twillspresso (Narcess in Fallen London)
(2 days ago) twillspresso (Narcess in Fallen London)
(3 days ago) ReginaldHubris (Reginald Hubris in Fallen London)
(4 days ago) Spacemarine9 (Spacemarine9 in Fallen London)
(4 days ago) cookoo (cookoo in Fallen London)
(5 days ago) Sarah Sahara (Sarah Sahara in Fallen London)
(6 days ago) Howard John Abrahall (Howard John Abrahall in Fallen London)
(6 days ago) twillspresso (Narcess in Fallen London)
(6 days ago) Sarah Sahara (Sarah Sahara in Fallen London)
(7 days ago) Sarah Sahara (Sarah Sahara in Fallen London)
(7 days ago) cookoo (cookoo in Fallen London)
(7 days ago) George W (Anstruther Barron in Fallen London)
(8 days ago) Evariste S. Crumbledon (Lord Crumbledon in Fallen London)
(8 days ago) Howard John Abrahall (Howard John Abrahall in Fallen London)

Well, as far as I can tell, you have to be in the Fifth City to be attacked and I have been going there while I am away from my computer and haven’t been attacked. I might have been lucky.

Once you have access it only takes two actions to get in and out again so it seems the quickest and easiest way to be out of London.

What about the Crowds of Spite/The Pickpocket’s Promenade, or possibly the Empress’ Court? At this point in time I am hardly an important figure in London, and thus I have no boat to call my own. I also assume that Places of Menace keep you out of the game, but I can’t check for confirmation.

(Also, I am not in K&C, just asking a question)

The Pickpocket’s Promenade - Yes, I think so, but then you have to play through it
Empress’ Court - doubtful as that is still the Fallen City
Places of Menace - yes they keep you out of K&C