The Game of Knife and Candle

Well SMEN is dangerous and I have just gone to see the Boatman … again … without losing my tokens.

I just don’t get this game sometimes. Decided by a “committee” my buttocks, the chance to attack other players is ridiculously circumstantial. I had one guy attack me who I was unable to attack for days and figured we were allowed to fight again and used an attack card I had on standby. But he wasn’t on my list of people who I could attack, nor was anyone I was willing to offend. I can’t have 4 or 5 people gunning for me, I’ll lose all my tokens that way. So I ended up wasting a good chance for no reason. What the bloody hell decides whether or not I can’t stab a guy after he tries going after me?

But yeah, it looks like I need to add more enemies to my friends list. Funny how that works isn’t it?

edited by Owen Wulf on 4/11/2013

[quote=Owen Wulf]What the bloody hell decides whether or not I can’t stab a guy after he tries going after me?

But yeah, it looks like I need to add more enemies to my friends list. Funny how that works isn’t it?[/quote]

Sounds like you just answered your own question! I was in a similar position - wasted a card not being able to retaliate against someone who beat me. Figured it out in the end.

I suppose that’s that then, now I need to find some to slap with my gloves. I’d be happy if someone replied in kind :)

edited by Owen Wulf on 4/11/2013

I don’t think anyone’s going to be offended by being attacked - if they’re playing the game, then they’re willing to play! I’d say the only no-no is attacking the same person and pinching a token several times in a row, as that’s unsporting. Otherwise, stab away :) (I suspect your opponent was taking some time out at zee or in the mirror marches, or had lost all their tokens, which is why they didn’t show up your list of people to attack!)

[color=#009900]You may notice that using the Baroque technique now has additional effects.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Those of you who have acquired Bronze Skull Tokens may also see they offer a little additional promise and peril soon.[/color]

eggs are still just omelettes in the making

will every attack get their own special flair eventually or is baroque just going to be the cool rad attack pattern for eggmasters and boxhavers only
or should i just shut up and wait and see

You know what they say; if you want to make an omelette, you have to be prepared for the some of the eggs to contain furious serpents.

…that happens to everybody, right?

(I was wondering precisely what Spacemarine9 was wondering!)

I’m not sure I’d really want to assume either of those things.

I wouldn’t say I’m offended by being attacked, but if someone I don’t know and haven’t previously attacked decides to leap out of a dark alley and stab me, I don’t consider them as having the right to dictate my response.

Proportionate responses just invite further attacks. Particularly as someone who was called out as doing well (which is no longer the case), I’m trying to cut down on the number of attackers, not encourage them. If I have more than one K&C card in my hand when I’m attacked, I have no compunctions about unloading them all on my assailant.

I would suggest that it might be appropriate to have a thread in the Singing Mandrake, in which ground rules are laid out and players sign up to attack and be attacked in accordance with those guidelines.

[color=#009900]Those of you who aspire to, or have already achieved, a Bronze Skull Token, may be interested in the names of others with that distinction.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Here is a list of seasoned candlers:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]Dolan [/color]
[color=#009900]lnpiun [/color]
[color=#009900]Matt Goerwell [/color]
[color=#009900]wholahoop (Lady Red)[/color]
[color=#009900]silasilent [/color]
[color=#009900]The Dave [/color]
[color=#009900]Weird364 (Weird)[/color]
[color=#009900]W. Dawson (William Dawson III)[/color]
[color=#009900]wallybloodnose (Wally Bloodnose)[/color]
[color=#009900]Spacemarine9 [/color]
[color=#009900]Hamete Grey (Hamete)[/color]
[color=#009900]Twoflower [/color]
[color=#009900]George W (Anstruther Barron)[/color]

[quote=Spacemarine9]eggs are still just omelettes in the making

will every attack get their own special flair eventually or is baroque just going to be the cool rad attack pattern for eggmasters and boxhavers only
or should i just shut up and wait and see[/quote]

[color=#009900]as always, my answer is ‘Absolutely!’[/color]

are you even capable of giving a straight answer any more
also a seasoned candler sounds like something a snuffer would eat
edited by Spacemarine9 on 4/11/2013

[quote=Spacemarine9]are you even capable of giving a straight answer any more
also a seasoned candler sounds like something a snuffer would eat
edited by Spacemarine9 on 4/11/2013[/quote]

I laughed so hard at this that my sides are now in a slight amount of pain.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Those of you who aspire to, or have already achieved, a Bronze Skull Token, may be interested in the names of others with that distinction.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Here is a list of seasoned candlers:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]Dolan [/color]
[color=#009900]lnpiun [/color]
[color=#009900]Matt Goerwell [/color]
[color=#009900]wholahoop (Lady Red)[/color]
[color=#009900]silasilent [/color]
[color=#009900]The Dave [/color]
[color=#009900]Weird364 (Weird)[/color]
[color=#009900]W. Dawson (William Dawson III)[/color]
[color=#009900]wallybloodnose (Wally Bloodnose)[/color]
[color=#009900]Spacemarine9 [/color]
[color=#009900]Hamete Grey (Hamete)[/color]
[color=#009900]Twoflower [/color]
[color=#009900]George W (Anstruther Barron)[/color][/quote]

I feel oddly as though I’ve now a bulls-eye on my back. Alas, I dare not check… mirrors tend to be tricky around these parts…

i’ve basically had a bullseye on my head since the whole business has started and have been robbed and stabbed more times than i can count. you get used to losing about five tokens in the space of two hours eventually

i guess i have a massive neon bullseye with “KICK ME” and “FREE TOKENS” written on it now though
edited by Spacemarine9 on 4/11/2013

[color=#009900]Absolutely![/color]

some small part of my subconscious knew that was coming and yet it’s still terrible

good job, you win this round but the war is far from over. i think

Well, I stand by my statements that it is unsporting to pinch several tokens in a row from one person, and that if you are playing the game then you should expect to be attacked. But this is, of course, just my opinion, and everyone should feel free to play how they see fit, of course :) If anyone doesn’t want to be attacked by me, feel free to PM me and I’ll take you off my friends list.

I am excited to see how the new Baroque technique works and what the skull token does! Alexis, you are evil. Is it the upcoming marathon that is making you especially so?

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Absolutely![/color]

It seems that Baroque now decreases on a win. “Additional effects” indeed.