The Game of Knife and Candle

It’s not to say that it’s a bad tactic. There’s certainly something to be said for being able to make several actions at once, as I’m learning. Merely if one would rather tokens quickly, felt sure that they would succeed in their attacks, then I think it better to play as they come.

It depends, I think, on who your opponents are.

I want 3,200 scraps a lot more than Knife & Candle wins so I’m using the lodgings cards for the former.

I also find giving up Connections to be a waste so I only use the Soft-Hearted Widow card to attack.

And to no great succes so far.

It’s hard to see how you could make Knife & Candle more than a game of rock, paper, shotgun. It would get rather involved with a multi-stage card/storylet to get some real strategy in.

at the minute the only attacks available are the simple ones: the implication is that more complex things will be introduced later on down the line

Corran, may I ask what you use the Criminals card on then? Does this mean I’m not the only one who bare-knuckle fight?

I’m looking forward to things getting a little more tactical, but it’s still a welcome diversion right now - something to do other than grinding! I like the little flutter of excitement when I attack and wonder if I’ve won a token or not.

Do we know if the attack resolution is a Broad check? If it is (with difficulty scaler 50 because of even odds), Night-Lamp means nobody can get better than a 110/80 * 50 = 68.75% chance of defeating you at an attack. The other forms all have a 60, which when attacked with a 110 is defeated 91.7% of the time. (83.3% for 100 vs. 60, if you’re Egg Imponderable and not worried about anyone with a Shroud coming after you.)

It would make an interesting research project. We’d need a public spreadsheet for people to add stats to.

One must wonder, if there are more attacks per day than players gaining a token per day, how long would it last before there were very few (or only one) non-eliminated players? Perhaps when only one remains, then would the season end.

There’s a couple people out there who have tokens, but have not adopted forms. Thus, it’d be pretty much impossible to eliminate everyone (especially if some people send a token to an alt just to ensure they can get back in the game).

[quote=Aspeon]
Do we know if the attack resolution is a Broad check? If it is (with difficulty scaler 50 because of even odds), Night-Lamp means nobody can get better than a 110/80 * 50 = 68.75% chance of defeating you at an attack. The other forms all have a 60, which when attacked with a 110 is defeated 91.7% of the time. (83.3% for 100 vs. 60, if you’re Egg Imponderable and not worried about anyone with a Shroud coming after you.)[/quote]

I’m actually working under the assumption that the stats work, as some have been putting it, in a simple rock/paper/scissors fashion; where the highest stat always wins (and a tie leads to 50/50). I can’t confirm this, of course, but it’s consistent with my experience so far.

I’m actually working under the assumption that the stats work, as some have been putting it, in a simple rock/paper/scissors fashion; where the highest stat always wins (and a tie leads to 50/50). I can’t confirm this, of course, but it’s consistent with my experience so far.[/quote]
To quote the rules: “when you are evenly matched against a defender, the odds are even.”. I’d say that also points to a simple stat check.

[quote=Dawson]

I’m actually working under the assumption that the stats work, as some have been putting it, in a simple rock/paper/scissors fashion; where the highest stat always wins (and a tie leads to 50/50). I can’t confirm this, of course, but it’s consistent with my experience so far.[/quote]

Nope, definitely not. A friend had the Spiralled Shadow form, while I had the Night-Clawed Bat form. I attacked him using my Savage score, and he emerged victorious.

[quote=Saharan]
To quote the rules: “when you are evenly matched against a defender, the odds are even.”. I’d say that also points to a simple stat check.[/quote]

I’m afraid not. The odds would be 50/50 regardless of how fancy the math is. [ i.e. (50/50) * 50 = 50% chance of winning]
And since Ms Hysaro has offered a counter-example, I’m afraid it looks to be the fancy math after all.

Personally, I expect it’s a broad(50%) challenge against the opponent’s level or so. I’ve lost several times with level 100 in a stat.
Sara Hysaro’s example would give (100/80)50% or a 62.5% chance of success, if this is the case.

Just so it’s said - this means there will always be a chance of failure, since 100+10 (Bonus item)/60 is less than 2
edited by Aximillio on 4/9/2013

Possible strategy, I can’t get knocked out of the game cause my wounds are high enough I’ll go to the river before I lose my tokens?

A serious brush with Death will remove all of your tokens. Just nobody knows what a serious brush with Death IS, because you don’t lose tokens on regular death.

Well I died to a storylet and lost all my tokens. seemed to be a regular death a it was a wound I took that brought my total to 8
edited by Tyler on 4/10/2013

well dang i got word from at least three people that death was pretty much safe, but maybe it’s something to do with getting to Wounds 8 rather than dying by other means

Or it could be chance based? update I didn’t get kicked out of the game, just lost all my tokens. I received a new one during my daily token time putting me at 1 token.
edited by Tyler on 4/10/2013

The game in question is chance based, sort of like Rock-Paper-Scissors but the Scissors will occasionally crack the Rock and so on and so on.