Paleontologist: The Bone Market

Has anyone checked if the femur of the deer works?

I checked, it doesn’t.

I actually got and used a &quotBones of the River&quot card last night. It gave me a Knotted Humerus in exchange for one of my &quotSurvey of the Neath’s Bones&quot quality.

Thanks for your research, Rostygold. It’s a shame that there are no bones in the Waswood, but I remember it being really dangerous to travel through there in Sunless Sea. Maybe there are plenty of bones there but interlopers like us can’t get them safely.
Edit: Also, I wanted to thank everyone who’s been researching the new choices since the Paleontologist update. You’ve all helped me plan out my next moves.
edited by The Lonely Hunter on 6/6/2020

Yeah, there’s nothing in the Parabolan content that uses the Eyeless Skull - or anything concerning Irrigo either. Cosmogone and Viric seem to be dominant there.

Nothing in Grunting Fen and nothing new in Flute Street.

Oh hey blokes! I said that I would be checking if there is an option to stick an Eyeless Skull, and there is! Here is the page I made.

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Affix_an_Eyeless_Skull_to_your_(Skeleton_Type)

It’s a Monstrous Anatomy roll, peculiarly enough.

~Bleah~… Only 3000 points of value. What a disappointment.

I was hoping that it might somehow reduce Implausibility, but I had been reminded that skulls have to be affixed first before everything else.
edited by Rostygold on 6/6/2020
edited by Rostygold on 6/6/2020

Results for Eyeless Skull (+1 Terror) and Knotted Humerus (+1 Amalgamy):

Thanks, dude, but really, please contribute to the wiki directly. Also, I have already made the pages by this time of writing, before reading your post.

So far nothing in the Clay Quarters. I’m not too sure where else to look at this point.

I think whenever I pull cards with Cora I’m going to do so in the Forgotten Quarter for a few days. I doubt that I’ll pull anything new there, but it’s worth a try. Thanks for looking in so many places so far, everyone.

Edit 1: Nothing in the Forgotten Quarter just yet. I’m going to start drawing cards in the Base Camp, as unlikely as it is that there’s anything at that location.
edited by The Lonely Hunter on 6/8/2020

Found a way to increase shapeling arts by researching the thorned ribcage. Also, the skull in the image seems to be the opposite of an eyeless skull, a Too-Many Eyed Skull if you will. Wonder if it might be related then?

That has been in the game for a while. When the Parabolan hunts were introduced, abandoning a hunt early on might reward the player with a thorned ribcage.
edited by Rostygold on 6/7/2020

You can reliably gather Thorned Ribcages by sending your Terror Bird running and then searching in the grass

Pity any returning player though, if they came back after the Fallen London version of Easter.

Also, you might want to read the fluff text for the changes to the number of appendages that the skeleton can have on the wiki. Whoever at Failbetter wrote them deserves credit for writing such hilarious statements.

I surely hope that additional uses of Survey of the Neath’s Bones are added that are not card-based. It would be quite nice to have more bone options you could predictably (if not necessarily efficiently) grind.

Other than that, I’d say that the entire Palaeontology shtick is quite pleasant, captures the feeling of a Victorian society fad with ancient bones nicely. New options for obtaining various resources and tier 3 items are a rather nice bonus. I’m definitely a fan and hope (and expect) that more options will continue appearing.

Are there any tails to work with yet? I ask because I have assembled a Thorned Ribcage, four Jurassic Femurs and a Sabre-Toothed Skull, and now my dinosaur needs a tail!

Nope. No tail, no 6 limbed or multiheaded ribcage.

To add insult to injury, you will also be forced to pronounce your perfectly biologically authentic dinosaur a &quotChimera&quot. So far, no other option for a four-legged creature exists.

Four-legged beasts bereft of arms and/or wings should be treated with more dignity and acceptance! ;)