New professions!

Sorry if this next comment sounds a bit whiny and I know that playing any aspect of Fallen London is completely optional. So I don’t have to upgrade my profession but the opportunity will soon be available and I would like to be able to do so without it being so frustratingly grindy.

I don’t want to spend all my time grinding society/favours in high places (or Bohemian/stolen kisses) in order to raise my scheme. I want to be able to go to Zee or back to Flute Street and not feel like I have to stay in London to wait for opportunity cards. I know that Notability only has to be that high in order to upgrade professions at the moment but it seems easier to maintain it at the cap rather than let it all go and have to start from scratch again.[li]
edited by reveurciel on 11/14/2013

I get where you’re coming from, even if I’m not utilizing your strategy. It’s a lot of grinding, no matter how you go about it. I think investing heavily into Scheme is the way for me, assuming something better doesn’t reveal itself in the future. I dunno how much Scheme drops, but I would hope that 100 could get me to 7 Notability.

color=#009900 We will, as people are surmising, be adding more ways to gain Making Waves and Notability in the future - particularly more Schemes.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[li][/color]
color=#009900 I can’t emphasise this enough: higher-tier professions are not compulsory. If you find them too much hassle to get to, forget about them for now, and consider returning to them when they’re easier to get to.[/color]

But they’re so shiny!

Personally… what the hell, I’ll probably try for at least one of the new Professions, just for the fun of the challenge. The others, well, I can wait and see - I only just got Esther to Campaigner, after all (in fact, that Profession was kinda the reason I created her.) The prospect of more Schemes sounds fun - I love the current ones!

I’m…undecided. I think I’ll try it on an alt with access to the Empress’ Court, and stick to Salon Scheme grinding on my main. Definitely looking forward to seeing more Schemes.

Sorry Alexis but I did say I was being whiny and knew this was optional. Thanks for replying anyway and I am excited to hear that there will be new methods of getting MW and Notability.

I just love Fallen London so much that I want to play as much of the game and see as much content as possible. That includes the profession upgrades.

[color=#009900]It wasn’t directed at you, don’t worry![/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]I do get that people are finding it frustrating and I wanted to clarify where we’re going. It’s meant to be difficult - hence the post-POSI limitation - but it won’t always be this difficult. As ever, however, we’d rather make the shiny goal available first - this ensures that Schemes have an already desirable goal when implemented.[/color]
[li]

[color=#009900]It wasn’t directed at you, don’t worry![/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)][…]It’s meant to be difficult - hence the post-POSI limitation - but it won’t always be this difficult.[…][/color]
[/quote]

Well, THAT’s good news ^^

Running a Salon that entertains Music-Hall Singers and Duchesses, and an Orphanage that recruits junior criminal masterminds, are fairly well rewards in their own right. You know we’re mad for the big diverse stories that tie in to a lot of other content.

(By the way, I can confirm that Conjurer evolves into Crooked-Cross, which requires Notability 5, and is described as one who walks beyond the boundaries of conventional morality and understanding. It sounds like the sort of role for either an occult visionary or an unholy swindler. )

Don’t forget Snowmen! Er, I mean, Showmen.
At some point, anyway, I don’t know if it’s possible now. Maybe Silas will show up again this Christmas and we’ll be able to get him as an Acquaintance!

(cue Alexis coming in and saying &quotyep it’s possible to get his acquaintance right now&quot and we all fall over)

Then all the wild guessing. You can encounter him through a Rare Opportunity card in Veilgarden that can only be drawn at 3 am on certain nights of the week, and you need to be lucky to find him sober enough to chat with you!

I love my Salon and am really pleased to have it. My favourite guest is the Presbyterate Diplomat and if he ever becomes available as a Spouse there will be a ring on my finger:)

[li]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]This, I’m afraid, is by design, and won’t change even if it becomes less random. If you want to be important in London, you’ll need to spend time in London. Recluses don’t get notable so easily.[/color][/li][li]

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]This, I’m afraid, is by design, and won’t change even if it becomes less random. If you want to be important in London, you’ll need to spend time in London. Recluses don’t get notable so easily.[/color][/quote]

I’m not being a recluse by choosing to explore the Zee, there is some amazing content out there. How about if we could exchange a large quantity of Research notes (ETA - the ones you get from a Voyage of Scientific Discovery not the regular ones) for Notability (same deal as cashing in making waves so that they are all used up). Also there are stories that need a trip out to Zee

Edit to add explanation and remove bullet points
edited by reveurciel on 11/14/2013

[quote=Alexis Kennedy]>Silas[li]

[color=#009900]His phone number is 0871 555 5797, if that helps.[/color][/quote]
I can’t imagine calling that number would go badly in any way, at all.
[/li]

[li]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]This, I’m afraid, is by design, and won’t change even if it becomes less random. If you want to be important in London, you’ll need to spend time in London. Recluses don’t get notable so easily.[/color][/li][li][/quote]
[/li][li]Ok, first off, no idea how to remove bullet formatting and stop it from happening on each new line. Anyway, on a flipside to the quoted bit, it’d be nice if we could do more cool things abroad to bring back to London. I don’t want to be a recluse, but it would be nice to be that guy who’s all &quotHey, I just got back from the Presbyterate and you wouldn’t believe what I brought back.&quot I absolutely adored the scientific expeditions, Iron Republic, and Polythreme, but instead of feeling like an intrepid adventurer coming back home after a long trip, I feel like someone ducking back into work after taking an unscheduled week off[/li][li]
[/li][li]I dunno, it just feels sometimes like you lose quite a bit leaving London, for not a whole lot of gain.
[/li]

[quote=lady ciel ][li]
[/li][li] I’m not being a recluse by choosing to explore the Zee, there is some amazing content out there. How about if we could exchange a large quantity of Research notes for Notability (same deal as cashing in making waves so that they are all used up). Also there are stories that need a trip out to Zee[/li][li][/quote]
[/li]
I find part of the joy of FL is you can’t have everything. It would be massively less satisfying if you could, as it would remove any meaningful choice. It’s frustrating not being able to have ALL the things, have all the destinies, get all the stuff … but it would be boring if you could.

I vote for frustration over boredom, any time.

From what I can see you can do both here anyway, you just have to choose to spend a little time away from Zee now, or pursue the new professions later. Once you have the new profession you can always go back to your normal exploring routine. So not sure exactly what you’re worrying about? That it’s not easy enough? Meh - I’m a seeker, so obviously I dislike ease. And completely insane. So can’t comment on that. :-p

(But Alexis obviously can’t be negotiated with. ALL THE RATS didn’t sway him. And a good thing too, or I’d have to join Spacemarine in his descent into the lower levels of crazy.)

Oh my god.

Oh… my… god.

Scheme: A Museum! I don’t know if you’d build it in a Lodgings, or what you’d do… though I daresay the Cottage by the Observatory would be suitably scientific and monster-y.

Seriously, I suppose Alexis et al. have their Schemes all mapped out already. But, man, I would leap out of my trousers with glee at the chance to set up a museum.

(Oh, and you can just go through the quote text and backspace at the start of lines to delete the bullet points individually. It takes a bit of wrangling, but it’s do-able.)
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 11/14/2013

I switch to source and delete the code that produces them (li). :)

[color=#009900]All mapped out, no. But some of the current top contenders:[li][/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]A Chamber of Curiosities[/color]
[color=#009900]A Zoological Collection[/color]
[color=#009900]A Charitable Foundation[/color]
[color=#009900]Financing a Trade Expedition[/color]
[color=#009900]A Grand Research Project[/color]
[color=#009900]The Event of the Season![/color]
[color=#009900]An Occult Society[/color]
[color=#009900]Maintaining a Certain Style[/color]
[color=#009900]An Exhibition of Fine Art[/color]
[color=#009900]The Sting of the Century[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]…plus a number of Parabola-related activities that I can’t talk about yet.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Chamber of Curiosities is basically Museum; Research Notes, among other items - including, as per Urthdigger, Zee-Ztories - are likely to end up being things you can use in Schemes.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This isn’t a final or complete list. The biggest headache is fitting Schemes to the existing items in the economy, and to upcoming social enhancements, in a way that makes sense for both balance and flavour. But these are some of the things we’re considering.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]