New professions!

You can find them in your Lodgings, in the Writing Letters storylet. Just hover the mouse pointer over the little prerequisite square and all available Professions will display.

Mystic will eventually upgrade to Glassman (Impossible at the moment). A persuasive challenge, that needs notability 5 and embroiled in the Wars of Illusion 6.

More precious knowledges! Now the only ones I don’t know are the evolutions for Murderer and Conjurer. Then, presumably, the remaining six will be the Tier 4 Professions, and it will be that much easier to plot the likely paths.

or there would be evolutions for the unaligned professions - Echoist sounds like the description of a Bazaar business-person

That baffles me… Weren’t mystics aligned with the Shroud, not the Glass? Or is it a kind of infiltrate career?

yeah I was sure Mystic would lead to Oneironaut - navigator of dreams sounds very fitting

Well, we don’t know any details about it. Perhaps the lovely I’m a Candle will eventually get a shot of the summary details?

I don’t think which side you aligned with had any affect on the Profession. I chose the Glass when I played the Wars of Illusion, though I do have 1 point of connected Shroud.

That is what I thought would happen as well, and why I became a Mystic. But maybe that is the next tier.

[li]

Yeah, it’s not the best system. I wonder if something like a permanent storylet that can only be used once in a fixed interval would be better - like, using it gives you a living story that makes the storylet disappear.

Hm, also, I don’t think I’ve understood correctly - do these tier 3 Professions require Notability 4? 5? Wasn’t there a cap at Notability 4, or the like?

I believe the Tier 3 Professions require Notability 4, which is or was the cap. Presumably the Tier 4 Professions will require Notability 5 or more.

So far we have

1. Starting Profession - no requirement
  2. needs connection to the relevant faction
  3. upgraded profession - needs notability 2
  4. the next level which is still Impossible and, for the Mystic to Glassman upgrade at least, it says Notability 5
    and then the &quotMore rarefied and elaborate roles&quot which now asks for Notability 7[li]
    edited by reveurciel on 11/14/2013

Hullo; they’re changing things up. I heard Notability 4 for the next tier.

I wonder if the cap has been lifted yet. It is going to take a lot of Tower of Eyes and visits from Mr Slowcake’s friend to get Notability that high, I do hope there are going to be some other ways to get Notability this is too card dependent and Time the Healer knocks things back every week even if you haven’t been lucky enough to get more Notability.

[quote=lady ciel ]Notability 5
Notability 7[/quote]

eghhhhhhhhhnoo.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 11/14/2013

Monster Hunter was definitely unlocked with Notability 4 yesterday. Blugh.
Hopefully there’ll be some way to increase Notability by more than a point, or faster ways to raise Scheme or something. It seems like a lotta effort for one good stat boosting item and a few extra echoes a week.

[quote=Spacemarine9]Monster Hunter was definitely unlocked with Notability 4 yesterday. Blugh.
Hopefully there’ll be some way to increase Notability by more than a point, or faster ways to raise Scheme or something. It seems like a lotta effort for one good stat boosting item and a few extra echoes a week.[/quote]

By &quota lot&quot, you mean &quothalfway to impossible without making it an IRL day job.&quot I mean, I barely managed to get to 2 and draw the right card for my profession now. Even thinking about notability 7 makes me vaguely nauseous.

It’s odd, 'cause it’s just about the only mechanism in the game that discourages slow play. There’ve been a lot of anti-grinding measures implemented - not least the Professions system itself! - but Notability not only has to be ground, but ground hard and fast. (That said, I’d not be surprised if there were more Notability-making measures in the pipes, à la the once-rare now-not-uncommon POSI components.)

I feel like the only way to actually get to Notability 7 with any degree of certainty right now is to grind your Scheme quality to 100 and hope you get the Tower of Eyes card a few times a week. I see it pretty often, so I could probably manage that, but I hope there will be better ways in the future.