New professions!

[color=#009900]Also, bullet-points: we’re stuck with this slightly shonky off-the-shelf forum software and we don’t have the time to resource to tweak things (you’d all rather see Sunless Sea and Myself page fixes than no-bullets, amirite). It drives me nuts too. You can also hit the bullet point button to remove them on an edit.[/color][li]

[color=#009900]Rare third post before I get back to work. Outside London being less fun… this is one of those poetry vs game design things. London is the focus and centre of the game, and I remain resolute that it has to be Where It’s All Happening, which means that it should feel like a place you want to get back to in order not to feel you’re missing out. I do recognise this won’t intersect with pacing/grind requirements, with the desire to see shinies, and with different player preferences, in an ideal way at all times. Stay tuned.[/color][li]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]All mapped out, no. But some of the current top contenders:[li]

[color=#009900]A Chamber of Curiosities[/color]
[color=#009900]A Zoological Collection[/color]
[color=#009900]A Charitable Foundation[/color]
[color=#009900]Financing a Trade Expedition[/color]
[color=#009900]A Grand Research Project[/color]
[color=#009900]The Event of the Season![/color]
[color=#009900]An Occult Society[/color]
[color=#009900]Maintaining a Certain Style[/color]
[color=#009900]An Exhibition of Fine Art[/color]
[color=#009900]The Sting of the Century[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]…plus a number of Parabola-related activities that I can’t talk about yet.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Chamber of Curiosities is basically Museum; Research Notes, among other items - including, as per Urthdigger, Zee-Ztories - are likely to end up being things you can use in Schemes.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This isn’t a final or complete list. The biggest headache is fitting Schemes to the existing items in the economy, and to upcoming social enhancements, in a way that makes sense for both balance and flavour. But these are some of the things we’re considering.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color][/quote][/li][/color]Oh! The excitement is far too much! swoon
staggers to her feet
Oh MY! swoons again
Mutters from the floor: &quotThis is a bruising experience.&quot

Edit: ^ Yes, that. It all sounds great!

I definitely want A Grand Research Project and Chamber of Curiosities. I hope they aren’t mutually exclusive, but there’s so much fun and intriguing stuff on that list that I could still have something enjoyable to put work into if they are. ^^
edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/14/2013

[quote=babelfishwars]

I find part of the joy of FL is you can’t have everything. It would be massively less satisfying if you could, as it would remove any meaningful choice. It’s frustrating not being able to have ALL the things, have all the destinies, get all the stuff … but it would be boring if you could.

I vote for frustration over boredom, any time.

From what I can see you can do both here anyway, you just have to choose to spend a little time away from Zee now, or pursue the new professions later. Once you have the new profession you can always go back to your normal exploring routine. So not sure exactly what you’re worrying about? That it’s not easy enough? Meh - I’m a seeker, so obviously I dislike ease. And completely insane. So can’t comment on that. :-p

(But Alexis obviously can’t be negotiated with. ALL THE RATS didn’t sway him. And a good thing too, or I’d have to join Spacemarine in his descent into the lower levels of crazy.)[/quote]

I am a crazy Seeker as well and know full well that I can’t do everything in Fallen London. I am happy with the choices I have made even when those early decisions have locked me out of other stories, that is part of the game. I know that very soon I will have to make the choice between going somewhere I love (and I do really love Zailing and exploring the Islands) and was something I planned on doing after The Feast of Masks or staying and maintaining the Notability I have built up until I upgrade to the next profession. As my Notability is at three that makes it a tough decision, until the new professions were teased I was just going to let it go and start again.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy]
[color=#009900]
[li][color=#009900]The Sting of the Century[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color][/quote]
[/li][/color]
This is what you mean by that, right? Yeah? I mean there can’t be any other meaning.

And now with Alexis’s latest announcement my decision is made I am staying in London:)

It has to be bees. Has to.

[quote=babelfishwars]Oh! The excitement is far too much! swoon
staggers to her feet
Oh MY! swoons again
Mutters from the floor: &quotThis is a bruising experience.&quot[/quote]

Hee. What you said, only with less bruises.

Alexis, with these future content hints, you’re really spoiling us! Those schemes sound absolutely marvellous. My wife’s an artist and curator, and I’m a historian and archivist, so between us we’ve written pretty much allll the words about galleries, museums, Wunderkammern, repositories, and places where interesting things are put on shelves. I am accordingly finding the prospect of collecting and exhibiting in Fallen London immoderately exhilarating.

Alexis, will there be ways to get Scheme/Notability, that do not rely on opportunities?

I’ve said it before, and I’ll mention it again. The deck in the game is not terribly user friendly. It’s smaller in size than the candle, so you have to login often. The hand is too small, so you can not draw all the cards in one click. And spending time to discard useless cards one by one is a special type of hell.
It’s bearable, when playing a little each day. But Notability decreases every week. You HAVE to draw certain cards to cash out your Scheme/Notability, before you run out of time. It is pretty demotivating to watch Notability drop, thinking “ah if only I got lucky/spend more time flipping cards, maybe all this effort did not go to waste”.

That all looks very nice, although I will add that, ideally, what I’d prefer is incentive to go out to zee to get things for back in London. The Chamber of Curiosities does sound interesting, though I’d rather the focus be on research notes (Maybe the volumes you get when you use the insanely unprofitable collate option for research?), iron republic journals, and such. Oddly enough I seem to recall going out to zee being a poor source of zee stories (And memories of distant shores actually).

[quote=Fhoenix]Alexis, will there be ways to get Scheme/Notability, that do not rely on opportunities?

I’ve said it before, and I’ll mention it again. The deck in the game is not terribly user friendly. It’s smaller in size than the candle, so you have to login often. The hand is too small, so you can not draw all the cards in one click. And spending time to discard useless cards one by one is a special type of hell.
It’s bearable, when playing a little each day. But Notability decreases every week. You HAVE to draw certain cards to cash out your Scheme/Notability, before you run out of time. It is pretty demotivating to watch Notability drop, thinking &quotah if only I got lucky/spend more time flipping cards, maybe all this effort did not go to waste&quot.[/quote]

To be fair, you can raise making waves through using a LOT of social actions, then use the storylet at your lodgings to summon the guy. Granted, that’s a LOT of actions required, but still.

[color=#009900](Before everyone gets too excited: these are likely to be coming out one or two at a time over the following months. Not next week! Don’t cancel your travel plans yet)[/color][li]

[quote=Urthdigger][quote=Fhoenix]Alexis, will there be ways to get Scheme/Notability, that do not rely on opportunities?

It’s bearable, when playing a little each day. But Notability decreases every week. You HAVE to draw certain cards to cash out your Scheme/Notability, before you run out of time. It is pretty demotivating to watch Notability drop, thinking &quotah if only I got lucky/spend more time flipping cards, maybe all this effort did not go to waste&quot.[/quote]

To be fair, you can raise making waves through using a LOT of social actions, then use the storylet at your lodgings to summon the guy. Granted, that’s a LOT of actions required, but still.[/quote]

Yes that’s exactly what I did to become a Conjuror. Don’t think I can bear to do it for even higher levels of Notability. And it still took me several weeks of play, before I drew the Unsigned Letter.

That’s fine Alexis but until the upgraded professions are available I will concentrate on keeping my Notability. Before the teaser it would have been easier to let it slip and I know there are still things that are Impossible and have been for as long as I have been playing. So I don’t expect any of these things to be available any time soon.[li]
edited by reveurciel on 11/14/2013

With how rare the Unsigned Letter is, it might be worth canceling your travel plans anyway if you have one sitting in your hand…

I get the Unsigned Letter fairly frequently so I play mine to try to get a Surprise Package.

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Or bought Favourable Circumstances for 0.50c and got it immediately when it turned out the cards were being unusually unco-operative. I appreciate that by suggesting you might want to spend one half-dollar every few months on our fine words, I am outing myself as an evil space vampire, but if the cape fits… :)[/color]

[li]
[color=#009900]EDIT: two dollars! Not one half-dollar. I forgot it was 8 Nex. Nevertheless.[/color]
edited by Alexis on 11/14/2013

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)] am outing myself as an evil space vampire, but if the cape fits… :)[/color]
[/quote]

So that’s what’s under that hat.