NEW CONTENT: the Fruits of the Zee festival!

A little off topic perhaps, but I searched a bit and couldn’t readily find details on Destiny…

As it turns out, I picked up one at the festival. I’m wondering though, if I wanted to acquire and apply another destiny later, is that any easier if I don’t actually equip this one? (I actually prefer another but the Wiki did not warn me that there was a prerequisite in the way.)

Back on topic: I am quite enjoying the festival, although I have yet to meet this intriguing hooded lady.

How long does this event run?

edited by Lavessa on 8/31/2014

It shouldn’t make a difference whether it’s equipped or not. The fact that you possess it is another quality altogether. However, do bear in mind that you will not be able to unequip it.

Changing a destiny later requires fate, so keep that in mind. If your present destiny is not something abhorrent, you may wish to equip it to obtain its benefit whilst you have it.

No one has said how long the festival will last, but I would not be surprised if it does not outlast the weekend (British or American).

[quote=Caninicus]No one has said how long the festival will last, but I would not be surprised if it does not outlast the weekend (British or American).[/quote]Both Hallowmas and the Feast of the Exceptional Rose lasted two weeks, didn’t they? So that’s what I’m expecting. Granted, those events made use of cards, which might require more time for regular people who don’t sit at their computers all day long. But still, it seems like a bit of a waste to not let people enjoy the content for more than a weekend. And not everyone might be able to play during such a short window of time.

My worry is that I’ll be tempted to stay until after the last ferry home has left, and then be forced to use my automagically transported zubmarine to get home, and as soon as I reach the Broad Unterzee my progress qualities vanish. I may have to use them all up just to be safe.

Or perhaps the ferry home will always be there as long as I have the Sights at the Festival quality, which only goes away when leaving the island? Kind of how Mr Sacks remained available all throughout the year as long as the player had already started that storyline.

I rather assumed that anyone who stayed overlong might be automatically shipped off. Or have people often been trapped in other areas at the end of such events?

I have no vessels to speak of, so from this perspective it would seem a rather silly end to a complex story if I just couldn’t leave.

I think they could code it so people with a ship can stay while the others get an automatic must storylet to catch the last ferry home.

I suspect having to spend dozens and dozens of action taking up hours and hours of gameplay clicking on storylets which do little but drain Quirks and increase menaces in the hopes of randomly drawing The Hooded Lady is the equivalent of cards.

It a neat mechanic of making the Festival last longer if you want to get everything you can out of it.
I don’t think they would have made it take 40 or so actions to get a Hooded Lady if the Festival was going to disappear over the weekend.

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]I suspect having to spend dozens and dozens of action taking up hours and hours of gameplay clicking on storylets which do little but drain Quirks and increase menaces in the hopes of randomly drawing The Hooded Lady is the equivalent of cards.[/quote]Yes, but the deck of cards is capped at 6, whereas 20 or 40 Actions at a time could be available to someone who only has time to play a few times a day, such as before and after work and/or sleep. I imagine that might make a big difference to a lot of players.

It’s definitely not anywhere near the Feast level of random, I got my last item today, and I am not even playing that much. But I don’t think it’s going to disappear right away. It’s the only new piece of content in a while, would be strange if it went away after three days.

I can’t say if it is always so routine, but I managed to meet the Hooded Lady twice already today. I would just go fishing once or twice, get a Catch around 6 or 7 (not sure if I can do better yet), and wait for Spending Time to rise until she shows up.

And now though not quite a person of importance, I have both the compass and that sparkly snuff. From which I could get bonuses to Watchful, Dangerous, or even some Shadowy (and even a bit of Persuasive though I don’t need that one). So I am already quite pleased with the take.

One thing I have eaten through (so to speak) is Manic Prayers. I have consumed a lot of them on lumpy treats, as it’s one of the safer uses of time on the island if you aren’t prepared to sneak around.

Is there any particularly good option to replace these on the island?

Maybe not good but if you choose to “Accompany a passing crowd of drunken revellers” when the option appears you should get some Maniac’s Prayers and Primoridal Shrieks but might get Appalling Secrets instead.

Thanks, I gave the revel a try but… It gave me an astounding 4 Manic Prayers. I suppose in desperation one could perhaps alternate attending revels with buying lumps (at that rate), but it’s not to my taste.

Maybe it’s just time for some recovery back in the city.

[quote=Lavessa]One thing I have eaten through (so to speak) is Manic Prayers. I have consumed a lot of them on lumpy treats, as it’s one of the safer uses of time on the island if you aren’t prepared to sneak around.[/quote]From the reports I’ve read it seems more efficient to ask the Custodial Chef to prepare a Strange Catch 5 (or so) in order to reduce Wounds by ~25 CP. Seems to be roughly the same amount of menace-reduction per Action, but instead of spending resources you’d receive some. I aim to try it out myself once I make it back to the festival.

I think a safe strategy might be to let either Wounds or Nightmares build up, and once one of them is high enough to be worth reducing with a Strange Catch, switch to building up the other menace so that the first menace doesn’t get too high during the search for the Custodial Chef or the Melancholy Curate. (Though with 33% chance for each festival action it shouldn’t take that long to find them.)

I’m not sure if I completely understand but: There is some stat training with the lumpy treats, too.

I don’t know what you get from those more dangerous areas that might give so many wounds, though. I haven’t tried sneaking around because my chance of success at many of those is between tough and nigh impossible.

Though I have braved a few nightmares and wounds from dancing or dealing with well… Getting a little nightmare in lots of places, really. I don’t know if it’s better to gain stuff and perhaps gain menaces too, as opposed to gaining a bit of stats and no wounds in exchange for Prayers. Not that I have consulted any formulas on the subject.

Oh a bit of a disgusting trivia question but…

Does a Strange Catch expire if you don’t turn it in soon, or perhaps take it back to the city? :P

My strategy for the festival is to go fishing and land a strange catch (normally 5 just from using quirks); play the various options until a menace reaches the same level as the catch and then trade it to the curate or chef depending on whether my wounds or nightmares equal the value of the catch.

The normal Mutton Island options can be useful for stat raising, if you take the shadowy An Island with Secrets option for the first part of the carousel it doesn’t raise suspicion. Then take the persuasive or watchful options on the second half (you will get menaces on a fail for those) but if you choose the feast option at the end you raise all four stats slightly and get wound and nightmare reduction.
edited by reveurciel on 9/1/2014

I don’t know if Strange catches will expire or disappear if you return to London. This is the first Fruits of the Zee Festival so it is new to everybody

Well if you are certain NO one has happened to try it so far I should probably say sorry for asking and get on with it ;)

I’m sure someone will have tried going back to London with a Catch, I haven’t though. But I do still have some of the items from previous festivals, so wouldn’t be surprised if you get to keep it :)
edited by reveurciel on 9/1/2014