NEW CONTENT: the Fruits of the Zee festival!

[quote=RandomWalker][quote=Owen Wulf][quote=lady ciel ]NinjaComedian - as long as you keep fishing, and have sufficient running battle, you will get strange catches. Once you have a weapon reward that option is locked and the other options will be the only ones you can get.
[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Damn, I really wanted that Armored Guinea Pig - I saw absolutely nothing that would imply that picking a reward locked all other options. At every other festival we could get almost everything available if we kept at it.[/quote]

You can get everything, you just can’t get more than one of anything. I’m very happy with this decision, as it stops me from wasting catches (keeping track with three alts can be tricky).[/quote]

Oh, I thought Lady Ciel said &quotall other weapon options&quot, my mistake. I have had no luck getting more than one weapon on my characters and was wondering why. I will certainly keep at it then.

I’m enjoying the festival very much although I will refrain from eating and or trusting anything on that island from here on. Does anybody know how to increase the battle quality above 10, does throwing one back help so you can start with a little bonus hunt? Since the catch has the tendency to come in one or two points short of it’s value when trading it to a certain lady and I really want that darn guinea pig.

I find that confusing too. The relationship between Strange Catch and Picking through the Wrecker’s Cave is unpredictable. In the best case, I had n:n, and in the worst case, n:n-3. It seems all you can do is maximise Strange Catch and hope for the best.

Another thing that I find confusing is that Eat at the Custodial Chef’s Table usually raises Wounds (for me) when giving rewards, but once it reduced them (at least I think it did) while giving a similar amount of rewards. I couldn’t figure out whether I was consistently failing the challenge (at Watchful 152-156) or not.

The highest that I managed was Running Battle 9, and it only gave me Wrecker’s Cove 6. However, I got both the guineau pig and the compass with Running Battle 7. There’s a bit too much randomness for comfort, but persistence seems to pay off.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. You can only get one of each weapon, there are five to collect, when you have that weapon there are other options to spend your Wrecker’s Cove quality. Unfortunately the Wrecker’s Cove quality is variable so having a high strange catch doesn’t necessary guarantee any particular reward.

Any idea how long the festival will last? I’d like to take it slowly, but I’d hate it if I lost some opportunities because I wasn’t quick enough

I find it really weird that the Guinea-Pig is considered as a Weapon, and not as a Companion/Pet.

Yes but the explanation is sound. “He insists on formality. He’s a projectile, not a conversationalist.” :D

I like to think of that particular decision as being similar to the way the Rubbery Euphonium is a pet and not a weapon.

Has anyone managed to get Wrecker’s Cove above 10? I was /really/ lucky and on my first bout I got RB 9, SC 9, and WC 9. There wasn’t anything special for WC 9 though…

Edit: WHOO. I’ve got my signature all nice and glistening.
edited by Cecil on 8/29/2014

I got RB 10, but still ended up with only WC 7. Next time I’m giving to the well.
edited by Shadowhand on 8/29/2014

I think you’d need a LOT of luck to get 10 points of pickings. First you need a decent run to get a good start on your RB - turning in 9 RB gives you 4 for your next run. I think it’s capped as I got the same when turning in 7RB. So you get 10cp towards to 55 you would need for 10 RB. That is the equivalent of getting a 9RB run, which isn’t common (guessing one in four at best?). You then need to get a lot of luck to get a 1:1 conversion of RB to Catch. You then need a lot of luck to get another 1:1 conversion of Catch to Pickings.

I’m guessing the odds of getting the conversions in your favour to be about one in twenty, with each attempt setting you back say ten echoes and twenty actions on average.

All this is assuming that there isn’t an invisible cap on catch at 9 (the lack of reward for 9 pickings and the hamster coming in at 7 implies that it may be a BIG waste of time / actions to try).
edited by RandomWalker on 8/29/2014

[quote=lady ciel ][quote=RandomWalker]Yeah, picking seems to be random. It took me forever to get the last of the four weapons (assuming that there isn’t a prize for catches above 9).

[/quote]

Four weapons? As far as I can see there are five, one each for levels 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

(Not in order)

Scintillack_Snuff
Blood-stained Eolith
Compass
Guinea-pig
and Mutersalt

I’ve managed to get four of them but that Mutersalt seems to be very evasive, I even tried the fate option to try and lower my level to three but went too low:([/quote]

(the order is salt, snuff, eolith, compass, cavy)

I’m pretty sure I’ve had the compass show up more than the Mutersalt >.<

Still no Cavy, but i’m not sure it’s actually worth it since it won’t actually improve on my current gear, unlike the compass.

(But it would go so well with an exceptional hat and clothes colony to have all your gear be alive…)

The Cavy is delightful. So eager to be a tool of destruction. And he’s cute. Cute and destructive. Like a nuclear kitten.

I love the guinea pig. So awesome (even if he isn’t an improvement in stats). I’ll probably use him as an indicator that I’m out at Zee and won’t be back for a while.

I adore the eager little cavy. Thank you, FBG, for giving a must-have to shoot for.

I managed to get my running battle up to 9, and may I just say that the description of my catch is the most delightful bit of nightmare fuel I have come across yet. Both before and after looking up the word “Pedipalps” the image filled me with dread.

A word of warning: having your menaces rise too high hurts MUCH more than it’s expected out at Zee (Nightmares 8 transported me back to my Lodgings and took three LEVELS of both Persuasive and Watchful). Something calling attention to that would not go amiss.

Very funny new content, but I found myself slightly baffled by the requirements - the fact that a bigger catch cannot entitle to a lesser reward, I mean. What exactly should Running Battle be to get a Compass? I got me that lovely Guinea Pig, but the Compass, albeit slightly worse in stats, would be more in line with my character’s maritime background ^^

EDIT - O lucky day, I had the right catch in my hand! This goes straight to the &quotgood fortune&quot thread ^^
edited by streetfelineblue on 8/30/2014

I found the Compass and the Guinea-pig easy to get, it’s everything else that eludes me so far… I visited the Wreckers’ Cove with Catches everywhere between 6 and 9, but the Snuff, the Eolith and the Mutersalt were always locked (not that I particularly need them for the stats they provide… but they’re such lovable collector’s items!)