May’s Exceptional Story: The Rat-Catcher

To be fair, we don’t actually know the mechanics of the Prester’s immortality. For all we know, Stone’s aura prevents them from dying but they could still grow old and, eventually, decrepit in a slower version of the same process that Tomb-Colonists face. Given something like that, there could certainly be some sort of process to undo the weight of years. We do know from Nidah that the immortal Presters are incredibly hard to kill, so causing partial death for a ritual is certainly plausible.

I do quite like the idea of killing the Prester to guarantee their immortality. Occam’s Razor does apply though, as the facts we have do already provide a coherent explanation. However, stories are a central focus of Fallen London. As such I propose a new term, Bazaar’s Razor: the correct explanation is the one that makes for a better narrative.

The snippet that I was operating from re. my post about the Prester dying and being reinvigorated, or whatever it is, was this from inviting the Presbyterate Diplomat to speak at your salon.

Which does suggest some degree of killing going on. Obviously this could all be a ~cunning ruse~, and the Presbyters’ living forever in the College might be a secret even to those who live on the Continent, in which case the Diplomat could be either lying or misinformed. Use the Bazaar’s Razor to make of that what you will…

EDIT: We’re on the verge, if not accelerating into the abyss, of going off-topic - I’d be quite happy to continue this elsewhere in a &quotPresbyter: What the Heck??&quot thread if this is spinning out for too long!
edited by Barse on 4/27/2018

Does the story remove bats? Because I could swear I had a Bat with Attitude before this.

[quote=Optimatum]Does the story remove bats? Because I could swear I had a Bat with Attitude before this.[/quote]I still have my Bat with Attitude, however I did not pursue the more costly option towards the end, so I don’t know if that route specifically removes a BwA.

I had all my Bat(s) with Attitude at the end, but I did not sacrifice my Wings-of-Thunder Batling. I did end up going though all my Sulky Bats though…

I didn’t choose the Bad Choice path, so I guess some other story must have removed my Bat with Attitude while I wasn’t looking.

The story takes 3 regular bats per batling–your BWA are safe.

ETA: you did make me go look, lol! All 4 are still there!
edited by Tay1or on 4/27/2018

I’ve been playing FL since November (so haven’t played some of the classic EF stories), but this is tied for my favorite story with “Steeped in Honey.” The dramatic change in environment, the SECOND dramatic change in environment, the clear choices throughout, the fact that you have to really carefully manage one of your Menaces (doesn’t happen all that often in the ESes)…all extremely well-executed.

This was my first time in Prickfinger Wastes and I loved it. Do people know what other stories have gone to the Wastes? (It looks like Ambition: Bag a Legend references it, but I couldn’t tell from cursory glance if one goes there.)

Bag a Legend spends a short time there, but as far as I know this is the only story that explores it in depth.

Stepping backwards a bit, to the theory that the Department of Menace Eradication possibly

having a connection to the Presbyterate, some discussion regarding the Department of Menace Eradication eating the Drowney you bring in in the Rat Catcher prompted someone to make this comment, which mentioned that the only other instance of cannibalism done so openly is at the Funeral Feast at Adam’s Way. A bit tenuous, but interesting given that we were already discussing a possible connection, it may be worth noting.

edited by Lazaroth on 4/28/2018

[li]
You can have a picnic with a Deviless there (in the safe part of the Intimate of Devils Storyline).

Loved this Exceptional Story! Right from the first choice with the option to help create a &quotspecial&quot snuff, I knew this ES was going to stand out, and it exceeded all my expectations! Great job!

Storm’s balls, this was awesome! Absolutely the best Exceptional Story in a long long long long time. Great writing. Totally in the spirit of the Neath, and Fallen London. Huge. Mind-blowing. Funny. Uncanny. Lore! Unique rewards. More lore.

Worth a year’s subscription, this one.

My game glitched when I chose the Magnanimous ending, and I didn’t get to see either the ending text or the rewards. A PM of what I’ve missed would be much appreciated.

Quick question: I chose to cooperate with a certain rodent at the department of menace eradication. He told me to meet again at Mrs. Plenties, but there is nothing there to continue the story. What is the next step?

Edit: never mind, I somehow overlooked that one of the options at the department had changed.
edited by Monara on 4/28/2018

[quote=Lazaroth]Stepping backwards a bit, to the theory that the Department of Menace Eradication possibly

having a connection to the Presbyterate, some discussion regarding the Department of Menace Eradication eating the Drowney you bring in in the Rat Catcher prompted someone to make this comment, which mentioned that the only other instance of cannibalism done so openly is at the Funeral Feast at Adam’s Way. A bit tenuous, but interesting given that we were already discussing a possible connection, it may be worth noting.
[/quote]

Seems like a big stretch. SSea indicates that the Replete are unique among the Presbyterate kingdoms and that the rest seem rather weirded out by them. The final trophy room text also hints that those eating the Drownie were probably unaware of its real nature[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]—the hunters are complaining about bad fish.[/color]

Anything hidden I should go back for? I felt like the Wastes might have a piper or something to linger for, but I was in a hurry to start preparing for my second marriage.

[quote=Optimatum]To be fair, we don’t actually know the mechanics of the Prester’s immortality. For all we know, Stone’s aura prevents them from dying but they could still grow old and, eventually, decrepit in a slower version of the same process that Tomb-Colonists face. Given something like that, there could certainly be some sort of process to undo the weight of years. We do know from Nidah that the immortal Presters are incredibly hard to kill, so causing partial death for a ritual is certainly plausible.

I do quite like the idea of killing the Prester to guarantee their immortality. Occam’s Razor does apply though, as the facts we have do already provide a coherent explanation. However, stories are a central focus of Fallen London. As such I propose a new term, Bazaar’s Razor: the correct explanation is the one that makes for a better narrative.[/quote]

Bazaar’s razor facepalm. Love it. Well, I don’t know why I think I remember that some of the College of Mortality stuff seems to suggest (I wasn’t taking notes or anything) that some of the Prester’s individual lives were more than one person. That the position wasn’t allowed to publicly be assassinated or die in some cases. Vacating it in some cases would water down the myth of the Prester’s power, I guess? I think it was the Sunless Sea thing where you assassinate an immortal by way of explosives. Presumably there wasn’t enough body left.

[quote=Kowth][quote=Optimatum]To be fair, we don’t actually know the mechanics of the Prester’s immortality. For all we know, Stone’s aura prevents them from dying but they could still grow old and, eventually, decrepit in a slower version of the same process that Tomb-Colonists face. Given something like that, there could certainly be some sort of process to undo the weight of years. We do know from Nidah that the immortal Presters are incredibly hard to kill, so causing partial death for a ritual is certainly plausible.

I do quite like the idea of killing the Prester to guarantee their immortality. Occam’s Razor does apply though, as the facts we have do already provide a coherent explanation. However, stories are a central focus of Fallen London. As such I propose a new term, Bazaar’s Razor: the correct explanation is the one that makes for a better narrative.[/quote]

Bazaar’s razor facepalm. Love it. Well, I don’t know why I think I remember that some of the College of Mortality stuff seems to suggest (I wasn’t taking notes or anything) that some of the Prester’s individual lives were more than one person. That the position wasn’t allowed to publicly be assassinated or die in some cases. Vacating it in some cases would water down the myth of the Prester’s power, I guess? I think it was the Sunless Sea thing where you assassinate an immortal by way of explosives. Presumably there wasn’t enough body left.[/quote]

In addition to the whole “being pushed back into your body” when you die near the mountain. I always assumed (with little to no evidence) that the Prester’s power was tied to their depth of knowledge of the mountain (presumably passed through the ages), weird rituals in the wound, infusing him with light and life not unlike the way the Nadir was used to infuse Millicent with… is that too spoilery? (I wonder if the first was involved at the beginning, knows the diadochi (at least Nicator)

[quote=Lazaroth][quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=PSGarak][quote=Catherine Raymond]I enjoyed the story very much, myself. But there is one thing that puzzled and frustrated me:
[/quote]
-snip- [/quote]

Thanks. Now I’m trying to figure out how I could have figured that out. Could you please PM me with the answer? (Forgive me for being dense.)[/quote]

You aren’t dense, friend! They don’t call it out as her specifically.

Earlier on in the story, the Dour Eradicator and the Patchwork Rat both mention the Dire Eradicator’s use of Peligin Snuff. In particular, the Rat mentioned that the two of them got sucked into the Ten-Thousand Teeth together, but that it spit him (her? I’m afraid I’ve forgotten) out because he got covered in the Snuff in the tumult. The implication, then, is that the digested corpse with a box of Peligin Snuff is the Dire Eradicator

EDIT: I really should proofread my comments. At least a glance.

edited by Lazaroth on 4/27/2018
edited by Lazaroth on 4/27/2018[/quote]

Thanks. I flattered myself that I played this ES more slowly than usual, and really read the text, instead of rushing through it in my excitement. Apparently I didn’t read slowly enough!

Correct, Prester is a title passed from one ruler to the next. Presumably they’re protected from assassination like any other ruler, and all (human) residents of the Presbyterate seemingly can’t die without outside causes. The SSea assassination you reference is of an agent of the Prester; invading Nidah describes fighting the ex-Presters like butchery, since they just won’t die otherwise, so presumably it’s the same deal.

I’m pretty sure the Prester’s power is primarily political. If there’s something else, I doubt it’s related to the Wound and Stone’s blood, given that’s accessible to everyone (and possibly kills people). Instead, it would presumably come from the Garden, since it’s accessible from the College of Mortality.