May’s Exceptional Story: The Rat-Catcher

Tough choices, but if I had to choose one, I know what I am going to pick. ;)

Can you save the eradicator and the rat? Or do you have to choose one?

Has anyone chosen to Ascend?

[quote=londonist]Tough choices, but if I had to choose one, I know what I am going to pick. ;)
[/quote]

[spoiler]You can save both.

Ascending just goes back to the previous chamber, so you can get another bat. It is necessary if you want to choose both.

The ascending you’re talking about is different than the choice which comes later, which is what other people in this thread are talking about.[/spoiler]

[quote=PSGarak][quote=londonist]Tough choices, but if I had to choose one, I know what I am going to pick. ;)
[/quote]

[spoiler]You can save both.

Ascending just goes back to the previous chamber, so you can get another bat. It is necessary if you want to choose both.

The ascending you’re talking about is different than the choice which comes later, which is what other people in this thread are talking about.[/spoiler][/quote]

Thanks. Whew good thing I had enough of certain nocturnal flying critters.

[quote=The Curious Watcher]After going deeper in the darkness myself, there seems to be a few revelations that are revealed if you’re willing to give up your batling and a level from all of your stats:

[spoiler] The Wings-of-Thunderbat apparently does come from the Elder Continent, and not be posing as a certain Master. More remains to be seen.

&quotThese aren’t your eyes. These aren’t your kin…This is where you belong. This is where you should rest…Your hands and tongue and nose and ears aren’t yours.&quot The text implies that the player is a Snuffer all along, having stolen one’s face.

What is this place? It seems that there is a connection with the depths of the Prickfinger Wastes and the Elder Continent, maybe even the Garden itself. The bats, which are supposedly native to the Elder Continent, are here en masse, the people here clearly serve the Presbyterate, and know of the beast with ten-thousand teeth, whatever it is. I haven’t played Flint so I don’t understand things like the Seventh Butler or the specifics about not killing flying things, but it is definitely interesting. I do feel bad for my batling though/

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Den%20Blackwell?fromEchoId=14000711

[/spoiler]
edited by The Curious Watcher on 4/26/2018
edited by The Curious Watcher on 4/26/2018[/quote]

I doubt the player is a Snuffer, as Snuffers can’t come back from a trip on the river, and yet the player can.

edited by Joshopoke on 4/29/2018

I enjoyed the story and can recommend it. Although I would have liked a recognition for my character’s Monster Hunter status which may or may not have made the plot take more interesting turns. But any more sojourns into Prickfinger Wastes will be a bugger on the shoes…and hands, legs…

I also liked how little things subtly changed as the story unfolded. Not one to rush through.

The notices, whispering and trophy room among others were interesting as they changed, and lingering in the Wastes brought up little snippets of interest. The area of crystallized dead was something I’d like to know more about.

I don’t know much about the Prestors as I have not done that many stories yet. I look forward to finding out more.

There was a curious glitch on some of the progression parts, as it didn’t auto-assign a title if you’re saving Echoes. I’m not sure if this was intentional or not.

[quote=Joshopoke ][quote=The Curious Watcher]After going deeper in the darkness myself, there seems to be a few revelations that are revealed if you’re willing to give up your batling and a level from all of your stats:

-snip!-

edited by The Curious Watcher on 4/26/2018
edited by The Curious Watcher on 4/26/2018[/quote]

I doubt the player is a Snuffer, as Snuffers can’t come back from a trip on the river, and yet the player can.
edited by Joshopoke on 4/29/2018[/quote]

I’ve read most of the echoes from this choice, and it reminded me of a fan theory I heard a long while back (spoilers for both this ES and possibly Flint):

[spoiler]The player character is themselves The Thief-of-Faces. Being a creation of the Flukes rather than a Snuffer themselves, this would make it possible (or at the very least, not explicitly impossible) for them to come back from the River. It would also explain quite a bit about this particular storyline, with the fixation on specific body parts belonging or not belonging to you, as well as them being forcibly ejected from the Garden. It’s not a perfect theory by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s interesting, and it explains a lot of other segments of the game as well.

(It also makes inter-player contact in the game even more postmodern than it already was at times!)[/spoiler]

Not finished this yet, but I’d like to call out the quality of the writing. It’s really fresh and imaginative, with little details giving sidelights on some of the everyday horrors of the Neath. Great stuff, and can we have more from this writer, please.

Not being something that could have an ordinary life on the Surface causes some problems for the Ambition: Nemesis story-line. Particularly with the options given for who was murdered that caused you to come to the Neith in the first place (most of them are family members). Also, the Recalling the Surface/Surface Ties story doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if you aren’t from the Surface either.

I guess what I’m saying is that it seems like too many things in the early game of Fallen London assume you walked in the sunlight before you came to the Neith. Most of the suggestions that you aren’t something human don’t sound like they could survive that. It just feels like it would needlessly complicate things for the player to turn out to be not human the entire time.

As far as writing goes, this entire Season has been very well written. I’d be interested in knowing if this author has written other Exceptional Stories and if they have, putting those on the top of my FATE stories to buy. It would be great to read more of the stuff they come up with.

There is a thread, sadly no longer updated, that lists stories by various qualities, including writer. See here:

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21646-fallen-london-stories–the-responsible-miscreants.aspx

The name seemed new to me, but maybe someone else knows better?

0bsidian, Meradine: Here is a perfectly up-to-date list of ES writers! :)
edited by phryne on 5/2/2018

Phryne: Court of Cats is Chris. :)

Thanks!

Phryne – Thank you! So a new writer indeed!

Loved the ES. The Wastes, the beast, the rat. Saved both, and proceeded no further. The latter, I kind of regret though. The battling is cute but… the lore seems so tempting.

I hated a lot of the Eradication Officers, but in a good way. Seriously, they ate a Drownie! What is wrong with them? They deserved to be sick.

I mean, at least other cannibals are polite about it. Paying undertakers, not eating contract kills.

As for the story itself, I really enjoyed this. It didn’t quite suck me in as much as other stories have, but I definitely love being able to resolve things peacefully, and not having to side with a would-be murderer like the Dour Eradicator became. Rattus faber are people, not vermin. Indiscriminate rat-catching should be limited to the less intelligent specimens.

I also love getting truly unique items, rather than just something moderately valuable that could be acquired through grinding. Especially something as awesome as a Wings-of-Thunder bat. Maybe someday I’ll be able to “breed” independent of the church, if I ever care to. The best unique items unlock new content, like the Cat’s Chiefest Claw does. Not everything has to, of course, but it is an option for future content.[li]
edited by Saklad5 on 5/2/2018

So, what was the Grotto in the end? There are four possibilities I see, of which multiple could be true:[li]

• Something from the Elder Continent[/li][li]Something from Polythreme[/li][li]Something related to the Thief of Faces and lifebergs[/li][li]Something related to Nook or otherwise alien

Whatever it actually is, it is clearly intimately connected to the Presbyterate. And still alive.

The artwork for this is fantastic! I’m only just starting the story, but came here to see if the eradicator’s picture from “A Proposition” was the cover art for the ES. I was not disappointed.

Hello folks! I reached the place of decide to go to light or to darkness. I know there are echoes of dark way, but do not want to spoil my possible choice. Yet I want to ask people who chose to darkness: was it worth it? I totally praise lore and story text more than material rewards, but it should be really good to sacrifice a batling and probably something more. Is it?

You get an Antique Mystery if you go to the dark. Besides, if you have any experience with Seeking, making bad choices is a habit that’s hard to break. Just do what makes you happy.

If you leave both the hunter and the rat to die (or perhaps there are other trigger conditions). You get a primaeval hint instead, with a different storylet at the end.