May’s Exceptional Story: The Rat-Catcher

I had a hiccup and did not get to see the Magnanimous ending. Can anyone link that and if we got a reward what it was please?

[quote=Catherine Raymond]I enjoyed the story very much, myself. But there is one thing that puzzled and frustrated me:
[/quote]

She ended up as the mostly-dissolved skeleton clutching the snuffbox that you pilfered inside the stomach of the creature that resembles a geographical feature.

[quote=PSGarak][quote=Catherine Raymond]I enjoyed the story very much, myself. But there is one thing that puzzled and frustrated me:
[/quote]

She ended up as the mostly-dissolved skeleton clutching the snuffbox that you pilfered inside the stomach of the creature that resembles a geographical feature.
[/quote]

Thanks. Now I’m trying to figure out how I could have figured that out. Could you please PM me with the answer? (Forgive me for being dense.)

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=PSGarak][quote=Catherine Raymond]I enjoyed the story very much, myself. But there is one thing that puzzled and frustrated me:
[/quote]
-snip- [/quote]

Thanks. Now I’m trying to figure out how I could have figured that out. Could you please PM me with the answer? (Forgive me for being dense.)[/quote]

You aren’t dense, friend! They don’t call it out as her specifically.

Earlier on in the story, the Dour Eradicator and the Patchwork Rat both mention the Dire Eradicator’s use of Peligin Snuff. In particular, the Rat mentioned that the two of them got sucked into the Ten-Thousand Teeth together, but that it spit him (her? I’m afraid I’ve forgotten) out because he got covered in the Snuff in the tumult. The implication, then, is that the digested corpse with a box of Peligin Snuff is the Dire Eradicator

EDIT: I really should proofread my comments. At least a glance.

edited by Lazaroth on 4/27/2018
edited by Lazaroth on 4/27/2018

I really enjoyed this story and I love the new companion you can get out of it. The amount of bats that the bishop owns is getting a little crazy though. I just have one question. I was unable to find any story tracking quality for this one. Is that the way its supposed to be? All the other ES I’ve played had something.

I loved this story. It’s really fun. I haven’t completed it on my main yet as I was busy getting a Royal Beth room, but I did it (with the ‘bad’ ending) on my alt and it was delicious indeed.
I am psyched to get the baby Wings-of-Thunder bat on my main. I don’t need it as I have better pets for BDR and dangerous but still, it’s awesome.

A companion? I’m sold!

[quote=Jaina ]I loved this story. It’s really fun. I haven’t completed it on my main yet as I was busy getting a Royal Beth room, but I did it (with the ‘bad’ ending) on my alt and it was delicious indeed.
I am psyched to get the baby Wings-of-Thunder bat on my main. I don’t need it as I have better pets for BDR and dangerous but still, it’s awesome.[/quote]
Would you mind posting an echo of the bad ending? I’m way too curious.

Somebody (The Curious Watcher) posted the &quotbad ending&quot on the previous page. It’s a dozy.

[spoiler]General Story stuff

I did not keep going into the darkness as my character isn’t an expert on monsters and didn’t think the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster was anything other then one of the crazy monsters in the Neith. That and she really wanted to see how the Wings-of-Thunder Batling would get along with her Bats With Attitude… Or as the story puts it &quotSometimes, trapping people inside a stomach is the surest way to foster a friendship&quot. And yes, I saved both the Dour Eradicator and the Patchwork Rat. Their interactions were fun to watch, especially that scene on the shore.

Loved the little details like the changes to the Trophy Room as the story progressed. The way Watchmaker’s Hill ultimately rolled with it was great.

Speculations

The only Echo I can find that refers to &quotThou Shalt Harm No Thing That Flies.&quot before the Dour Eradicator mentions it when you free her is in this Echo: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14002618 . Given what some of the Echos of the &quotBad Ending&quot reveal it seems like these rocks might be the teeth of the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster and the gouges/words carved on it are part of the orders mention in &quotThey recite every order carved into its ten-thousand teeth&quot. The Dour Eradicator is most likely referring to bats (specifically the Wings-of-Thunder Bat) and if those carvings on rocks are anything to go by, it seems that the reason people aren’t supposed to hunt bats is because whoever the Servants of the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster (His Seventh Butler?) are &quotsupposed to&quot hunt them. It kinda makes me wonder how big a bat we’re talking about here too (and how high up the Chain this goes). 'Cause if the Masters are &quotbat-like&quot enough to count, would the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster want to eat/hunt them?[/spoiler]
edited by 0bsidian Fire on 4/27/2018

[quote=Rhode Wardwado]I really enjoyed this.
snip[/quote]
Any options opened due to your profession?

And there isn’t a companion to be kept, correct?

Not sure where you’re getting that from.

To escape the Gorge With Ten-Thousand Teeth you need to have a Wings-of-Thunder Batling, and the only option at that point that gets rid of it is very clearly marked.

Holding on ESs until I finish looking around so I can pile up rare/hard to get items; meaning I didn’t play this ES, but I was curious.

[quote=0bsidian Fire]
snip
Speculations

The only Echo I can find that refers to &quotThou Shalt Harm No Thing That Flies.&quot before the Dour Eradicator mentions it when you free her is in this Echo: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14002618 . Given what some of the Echos of the &quotBad Ending&quot reveal it seems like these rocks might be the teeth of the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster and the gouges/words carved on it are part of the orders mention in &quotThey recite every order carved into its ten-thousand teeth&quot. The Dour Eradicator is most likely referring to bats (specifically the Wings-of-Thunder Bat) and if those carvings on rocks are anything to go by, it seems that the reason people aren’t supposed to hunt bats is because whoever the Servants of the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster (His Seventh Butler?) are &quotsupposed to&quot hunt them. It kinda makes me wonder how big a bat we’re talking about here too (and how high up the Chain this goes). 'Cause if the Masters are &quotbat-like&quot enough to count, would the Ten-Thousand Teeth monster want to eat/hunt them?
edited by 0bsidian Fire on 4/27/2018[/quote]

&quotThou shalt harm no thing that flies&quot is an ancient oath of the Presbyterate. I believe there was speculation that only those that could fly could enter and exit the Garden, hence their value in Presbyterate society, and the &quotbad ending&quot (though I see that as a misnomer; I was extremely satisfied by that ending, even if I had to sacrifice my adorable pet for the knowledge) hints at that.

I don’t recall it being in Fallen London before, but I believe it’s established by the Presbyterate Adventuress towards the end of her journey in Sunless Sea when she

challenges the Vake.

The potential connection between the Presbyterate and the Department of Menace Eradication was definitely one of my favorite parts
edited by Azothi on 4/27/2018

The Department of Menace Eradication has always forbidden the killing of flying things (even from very early content - there is a result when claiming bounty for dead rats that speaks of someone breaking the taboo and hunting moths), for whatever reason - if someone can illuminate the Department’s connection to the Presbyterate then I’d be very grateful! It could simply be their proximity in Watchmakers Hill to the game of Knife & Candle and the distinctly Presbyterate Order Vespertine, who hold the same taboo.

In the Presbyterate, no one is allowed to harm anything that flies (because they carry with them &quotthe airs of the Garden&quot), apart from the Prester and their agents. The Prester actually eats winged creatures, and a lot of them. Which begs the question, why are agents of the Prester (and a bloody odd hungry not-grotto) roaming this far from the Continent, hunting animals that are not native to the Wastes?

(Edit: or, if they are native to the Wastes, why would the Bishop need to trek all the way down South to get his hands on a Wings-of-Thunder Bat [if he actually did]?)
edited by Barse on 4/27/2018

The way the text was written I almost took it to mean that the living grotto was Prester or some sort of manifestation of Prester…

The thought did cross my mind, too, but everything we have from the Injurious Princess and other stuff pertaining to the College of Mortality indicates that the Prester is a real, living person (of mysterious age and even more mysterious death). It would be pretty sweet if the Prester had a squadron of semi-sentient mobile Mountain-daughters that they could drive around the Neath lookin’ for food with, though.

If it was some manifestation of the Prester, then they are both worryingly hungry (and we all know how well that usually goes) and far, far more powerful than previously indicated. Feducci might have a tough one on his hands if he really is angling for the Presbyter-ship.

So, there’s an Echo that I suspect some players missed, because it requires backtracking and there’s no indication it would give different text the second time you try it.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/PSGarak?fromEchoId=14005018

I haven’t been following Sunless Skies very closely, but this looks relevant. Does this contain information or inferences that we didn’t already have?

Context for echo:

[spoiler]When you are in a higher chamber of the stomach, there is an option to listen to faint echoes from elsewhere. Initially, you overhear the rat and the Eradicator bickering. After freeing them, if you return, now that it’s more quiet you can hear this. I assume it’s Prester in some way.

The connection I’m making to Sunless Skies is based on the prominence of Hours to the setting. Did the Empress obtain the secret of Immortality from the Prester?[/spoiler]
edited by PSGarak on 4/27/2018

My idea for that was that it’s a proto-method to that used in Sunless Skies by Old Vic, used by the College of Mortality to kill and then reinvigorate the Prester, artificially lengthening their life? I know living close to the Mountain prolongs life naturally, but our good Prester friend seems to have a lot of strange rules and ceremonies governing both their life and their death.

Could be I’m completely wrong and it’s much more Skies-related than that, but that was my initial take on it.

EDIT: Upon properly reading what’s in your spoiler tag, PSGarak, it looks like we broadly agree.

Each Prester is immortal, but seemingly pretends to the citizens of the Elder Continent that they stick to the thousand-year lifespan rule. Conquering Nidah in SSea reveals that all the previous Presters live in the essentially-paradise College of Mortality and give advice to the current one. While there could be some elaborate ritual involving Hours, I don’t think there’s been any hint before of anything beyond generic immortality.

Presumably our toothy landscape predator is the Prester’s Seventh Butler. I guess there’s just random fanged hills around the Neath, sampling the local fauna for cooking?

For some reason, Failbetter has been using hidden tracking qualities for a lot of the recent ESes. I’m not sure why, since it means that (among things) you can’t check what ending you got later.
edited by Optimatum on 4/27/2018

Well, there goes that theory! I never got that far in the Nidah quest (my knowledge of SS lore-stuff as a whole is pretty rubbish) so I had no idea. Thanks for the info - the plot thickens…

(And agreed, I’m inclined to believe the grotto is &quotthe Seventh Butler&quot, if for no more reason than I would very much like to be attended to by a hill with teeth.)