Making Your Name: Becoming Watchful

I also selected the wrong thing - I had just started the Raid on the Embassy, I wasn’t done with that, yet now I am. Can I get that fixed at all? embarassed

I have a high but not capped Watchful, and have completed the University. I had thought all the Name Signed With a Flourish steps including the last gave a pretty hefty boost to Persuasive, but I just completed the patch storylet and was surprised I did not receive an increase in Watchful.

I’m wondering if my expectations were off (and the boost was only for players who hadn’t completed Court), if Watchful is intentionally different, or if this was an oversight.

I had gotten past the murder investigation of the Senior Reader in __________, but now it looks like I need to replay that. If that can be fixed, great; if not, oh well. It’s been such a great game to this point.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]I’ve been awake for 22 hours and just clicked through the first part thinking it was part of my profession reward. Has anyone got a link to the text I missed?

I did manage to shake off the grogginess in time for the delicious result!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheThirdPolice?fromEchoId=6524501
You now have 1 x Bejewelled Lens
Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar
has increased to 2 - Your Name is Known!
You now have 1 of this: ‘A Journal of Metaphysical Conjecture’ Perhaps truths are contained herein — obscured by riddles, misconceptions and near unintelligible handwriting. +4 Watchful Weapon

Your name is immortal in Horizon Glyphs. A name known throughout the Neath for its acuity and intellect.
[/quote]

Here you go. This is the text that appears just before the content that you echoed.

Huh, I never got the gift. Wonder why?

Ooh, there’s a new Major Lateral quality too: Identified with a Philosophy. Seems to work much like Identified with a School, including one option that rejects all labels and associations (Identified with a School: Your Own Genius). There’s also the philosophy of the Anchoress, the Unconfined… and one other that I didn’t catch. (Update: the Implacable Method! Perhaps named after a certain elderly firebrand.)

Since this seems to be initially assigned at the 2nd tier of Watchful, I’m assuming there will be some way for those of us who were already later on the tiers to gain or change our identification. Should be interesting?
edited by metasynthie on 9/7/2015

Hah, and no sooner do I post that than another MUST storylet shows up for us to declare our affiliations.

Yeah, watch out for that - it will impact your quirks (not much, obviously, but some people like to be careful).

Note that the implaccable method is associated with the implacable detective… or perhaps the other way around. either way, choosing any of these can cost you items. common ones, but still…

If you want to change your Philosophy, Life on Ladybones Road has a new option.

So Implacable Method is associated with the Implacable Detective, and seems to put an emphasis on deduction and attention to minutiae. Unconfined is opposed to the banning and censoring of books, and is associated with Devils and Revolutionaries. What’s up with the Legacy of the Anchoress?

Is this the first in-game reference to the anchoress Julian of Norwich? How exciting. She’s the author of Revelations of Divine Love, the origin of the “all shall be well” quote which is again referenced in the Anchoress’ philosophy branches.

I wondered this too - I am a big fan of Julian of Norwich.

Thank you kindly! Opening the reward package and discovering another package threw me off.

I wonder: Is there any way to willingly reset or lose the Scholar of Correspondence trait? I’m wanting to play through the Watchful content through the beginning but it seems having SotC ties me to starting at the 6th tier.[li]
edited by The Night Creeper on 9/7/2015

I’d actually love to replay all the early Watchful content, but being banished from the university locks my main to a single option. Which gives a point of Connected:Masters (okay?), a POSI item (which I don’t really need for anything) and another +4 weapon (not really useful in terms of stats. Nice flavour text - but since my character never actually earned the item it has no meaningful context whatsoever).

Really, why is the player locked from resetting their progress at all?

I too must admit to being saddened that I am unable to reset my watchful progress to the beginning. I understand however, that it would take a serious amount of effort to change things since I am already a scholar of the correspondence. Ah well. Now to make up a reason why I wrote this book. Or found it. Or whatever.

I’m confused about my alt - she already has her correspondence stones and was halfway through investigating it. The highest option she can choose is the night raid to get correspondence stones. Would I have to do the expedition again even though I have the stones? I think I’ll just go with an earlier tier since I hadn’t done the heiress bit yet and don’t want to miss that on her character but still… Seriously still confusing.

Ha, this is kinda funny. An alt of mine hadn’t done any of the Honey-Mazed Detective content and was in the middle of the University content, so now she’s at the beginning of the tracker despite being more knowledgeable of the Correspondence than any of my characters. The University content is still there, so I have to wonder how this will work out.

Edit: Well, I’m already not sure how I ought to progress. I’ve tried all the tattoo options, but no progress in sight. I guess maybe I’m supposed to be doing the Clathermont storyline, but I’ve already done that on this account.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 9/7/2015

I’d JUST finished the university, so that I wouldn’t have to start over. This is a good thing.