Making Your Name: Becoming Watchful

Try looking for one of these, the first four being in Ladybones Road still:

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]The tiers appear to be:[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- Find the Honey-Addled Detective[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- The case of the Tattooed Courier’s Contact[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- The case of the Absconding Devil[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- The case of the Missing Heiress[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- Choose a side in the raid on the Brass Embassy[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- An archaeological expedition to the Tomb of Seven[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]- Investigate the murder of the Senior Reader in _______[/color]

All I have in Ladybones Road is:

1. Unfinished Business
  2. Study the Secrets (tested both options)
  3. The Velocipede Squad content
  4. Sketch a Tattoo (tested)
  5. Learn Clathermont the Tattooist’s language of hints (tested)
  6. Set a watch at the rear entrance of Clathermont’s tattoo parlour (tested)
  7. Study the hidden language of tattoos (tested)

The only tattoo content available to Madison that I haven’t done is the Uncover Hidden Tattoos venture in Veilgarden’s Dabble in the Great Game. I’ll try that out, but I think the next step in the tracker is to get involved in Clathermont’s story which I can’t do since I’ve completed that story already.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]All I have in Ladybones Road is:

1. Unfinished Business
  2. Study the Secrets (tested both options)
  3. The Velocipede Squad content
  4. Sketch a Tattoo (tested)
  5. Learn Clathermont the Tattooist’s language of hints (tested)
  6. Set a watch at the rear entrance of Clathermont’s tattoo parlour (tested)
  7. Study the hidden language of tattoos (tested)

The only tattoo content available to Madison that I haven’t done is the Uncover Hidden Tattoos venture in Veilgarden’s Dabble in the Great Game. I’ll try that out, but I think the next step in the tracker is to get involved in Clathermont’s story which I can’t do since I’ve completed that story already.[/quote]
I’m in quite the same boat!

I could probably just finish up the University content to get my tracker quality up where it needs to be, but then I might be locked out of the Brass Embassy Raid without having chosen a side.

Hmmm… what’s your “A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets” quality at? It sounds like it’s at 1.

Do you have any “Seeking…” quality? If you have any, it may be preventing the “Find a Tattooed Courier’s Contact” storylet from showing up. If you have “Seeking…” maybe try getting rid of it in the Flit.

[quote=metasynthie]Hmmm… what’s your &quotA Name in Seven Secret Alphabets&quot quality at? It sounds like it’s at 1.

Do you have any &quotSeeking…&quot quality? If you have any, it may be preventing the &quotFind a Tattooed Courier’s Contact&quot storylet from showing up. If you have &quotSeeking…&quot maybe try getting rid of it in the Flit.[/quote]
Thank you, I’ll give it a shot!

EDIT: Bother. I don’t have any. The quest for answers continues.
edited by Burly_Jim on 9/7/2015

[quote=metasynthie]Hmmm… what’s your &quotA Name in Seven Secret Alphabets&quot quality at? It sounds like it’s at 1.

Do you have any &quotSeeking…&quot quality? If you have any, it may be preventing the &quotFind a Tattooed Courier’s Contact&quot storylet from showing up. If you have &quotSeeking…&quot maybe try getting rid of it in the Flit.[/quote]

Ah, there we go. The storylet turned up for me - thank you!

Burly Jim, what number your “A Name in Seven Secret Alphabet” story quality at?

Note for Failbetter: any new player who does a bunch of Shadowy stuff before getting midway through the Watchful tracker might run into the same problem Sara did, so it might be good to put the “No Seeking…” requirement onto the branch inside the storylet that starts “Find a Tattooed Courier’s contact” rather than on the storylet in the Ladybones Road root, since branches can be visible even when their requirements aren’t met, and the other two requirements on the root storylet will suffice to make it appear/disappear at the right point in the tracker.

[quote=metasynthie]Burly Jim, what number your &quotA Name in Seven Secret Alphabet&quot story quality at?

Note for Failbetter: any new player who does a bunch of Shadowy stuff before getting midway through the Watchful tracker might run into the same problem Sara did, so it might be good to put the &quotNo Seeking…&quot requirement onto the branch inside the storylet that starts &quotFind a Tattooed Courier’s contact&quot rather than on the storylet in the Ladybones Road root, since branches can be visible even when their requirements aren’t met, and the other two requirements on the root storylet will suffice to make it appear/disappear at the right point in the tracker.[/quote]

It’s the lowest I could set it–with the Honey-Sipping Detective. I’m going to experimentally get rid of some of my qualities tonight…Running battle, and so on. I’ll do the flit stuff as well, just in case I missed the quality on my profile.

EDIT: My thoroughness paid off-glad I had some candle-light saved up. My profile is so cluttered that I missed the Seeking…icon, and the net result is that I now have a new Aquaintance! One chance to make up for past &quotmistakes&quot, one supposes.
edited by Burly_Jim on 9/8/2015

I reset my progress to choosing a side in the raid at the Brass Embassy when the revamp hit; I had previously just completed this tier, as I remember losing my Constable’s Pet status when I selected which tier to begin at again.

Currently the Raid only has one option showing on the storylet, “Warn your contacts at the Embassy” with no way to choose to favor the constables instead.

How do I get the A Name in Seven Secret Alphabet quality if the must story didn’t trigger for my alt? He’s an old seeking account who did a forgotten quarter/university focus and not too much else (back before the tomb of seven existed), but he is a PoSI on with SoTC 8 and featuring in the tales of academic life 5. Do I just go finish the university storyline and hope it gives the tracker quality, or do I need to like, investigate the secrets of St. Dustins first? Where does the tracker even start? Or is it okay not to have the tracker since this character is already PoSI?
edited by NiteBrite on 9/8/2015

I didn’t have the storylet trigger for Madison either, likely because she hadn’t done anything with the Honey-Mazed Detective. I was able to get on the tracker by talking to him in Ladybones Road.

[quote=GentlemanOwl]I reset my progress to choosing a side in the raid at the Brass Embassy when the revamp hit; I had previously just completed this tier, as I remember losing my Constable’s Pet status when I selected which tier to begin at again.

Currently the Raid only has one option showing on the storylet, &quotWarn your contacts at the Embassy&quot with no way to choose to favor the constables instead.[/quote]

This is another problem with visibility settings based on requirements being met. The Embassy option is always visible even if you can’t do it (for instance, if you don’t have enough Souls or Nevercold Brass) while the Constables option is invisible if you don’t have the requirements. The requirements for the Constables branch to appear are: 100 Cryptic Clues, 250 Souls, 500 Nevercold Brass, Connected: Hell 3 and Connected: Constables 5.

Just realised that my alt didn’t make a choice on the Raid at the Brass Embassy - but they were a Scholar of the Correspondence so didn’t have the choice of an earlier stage of the Tracker. I guess it doesn’t really matter as choosing either closes some content and opens other choices and I think there are other ways of getting the Professions. Not so sure about Closest to or if any other content is involved with those qualities.

Wait, I think something may have went wrong here:

Soran had Connected: the Masters 8 even before the Watchful tracker came along, and now it appears to have dropped to 7 while I wasn’t looking (ouch). I’m pretty sure the tracker storylet bugged out earlier and I was able to collect my gift (and thus some extra CP of Masters) twice; did the game try to correct its mistake afterwards and wind up taking away too much? I certainly don’t remember anything else happening recently that might have affected my standing with them. Has anyone else who ran into that bug also mysteriously lost any Masters connection since then?

That’s jolly unfortunate! Have you submitted a bug report?

Yeah, something definitely went wrong. I got a reply from Failbetter this morning in response to the bug report yesterday telling me they had taken away the excess qualities I had gained from yesterday’s glitch. But like you, I was at Connected: Master 8 before yesterday’s events, and now I’m at 7. I replied to let them now that I had lost too much. Hopefully we’ll get our real levels back.

Ditto. I have let them know where I stood.

I sure wish I knew how I ended up “Immortal in Horizon Glyphs”. It sounds interesting.

It’d be nice to play through the tier end sequences, rewards or not, just for the storyline choices.