Making Your Name: Becoming Watchful

I’m not sure which tier to choose - 4th or 5th. Mostly because I have no idea what was that “raid on the Embassy” (can’t remember ever doing that).

Lady ciel (or anyone else with a main or alt who’s at the University) – do you recall what quirks went up or down depending on the choice of how to announce your findings about the Correspondence? The one where the four choices are: society’s salons, a lecture for academics, the revolutionaries, or telling nobody.

If you’ve already become a guest lecturer at the university, is it impossible to start at an earlier point in the Watchful tracker? I was hoping to see the early content with my alt like I did for Persuasive.

Hm… I think I am going to wait. My main account (which hasn’t finished at the University yet) only has one option - the 6th Tier. And my low level alt doesn’t seem to have any options yet to start Making the Name…

The raid on the embassy used to unlock in the Watchful 50s and gives you a permanent quality, either an “Infernal Informant” or “Constable’s Pet.” Just a single story, IIRC, choosing between two connections.

I chose Society’s Salons with Zero, and I believe it lowered Subtle and raised Hedonist.

Bother. I was really hoping to be able to replay the early content too - I enjoyed revisiting the Persausive content. And I suspect I’m capped out of both the Dangerous and Shadowy when it comes to those.

One thing is that the cap earlier (kicked out of the Court) was 1) after a repeatable storylet which was enjoyable and 2) really profitable. I didn’t have an urge to close that off because Persuasive isn’t one of the lines I’m particularly fond of. But Watchful was definitely my favorite of the early content and it’s now a shame that having progressed too far I can’t go back track.
edited by Parelle on 9/7/2015

Well, I’m not too proud to admit that I’m lost, I suppose. I set myself back to the earliest tier for science, met the Honey-Addled-Detective, and now I can’t seem to find new storylets to advance myself. Perhaps they are on a card, but I’m paranoid enough to wonder.

I am also lost. I shared my findings at the Salons and then had a meeting with a guy who seemed to suggest I should meet him at the university? I was reading kind of quickly and didn’t note down what he said. But I can’t find the continuation storylet anywhere.

I’ve been awake for 22 hours and just clicked through the first part thinking it was part of my profession reward. Has anyone got a link to the text I missed?

I did manage to shake off the grogginess in time for the delicious result!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheThirdPolice?fromEchoId=6524501
You now have 1 x Bejewelled Lens
Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar
has increased to 2 - Your Name is Known!
You now have 1 of this: ‘A Journal of Metaphysical Conjecture’ Perhaps truths are contained herein — obscured by riddles, misconceptions and near unintelligible handwriting. +4 Watchful Weapon

Your name is immortal in Horizon Glyphs. A name known throughout the Neath for its acuity and intellect.

Oh, and I didn’t get the Bejeweled Lens either, or the Masters connection. Is that supposed to be later?

The tiers appear to be:

• Find the Honey-Addled Detective
  • The case of the Tattooed Courier’s Contact
  • The case of the Absconding Devil
  • The case of the Missing Heiress
  • Choose a side in the raid on the Brass Embassy
  • An archaeological expedition to the Tomb of Seven
  • Investigate the murder of the Senior Reader in _______

The bejeweled lens and Masters connection may be later? Foucault, I imagine you can just go to the University now and make your way through the &quotFeaturing in the Tales of the University…&quot storylets until you finish the seventh tier (assuming you want to lock off those storylets).

I am going to have to think about whether I want to lock off a relatively fast source of Hedonism 10+ before I finish the first half of Term Passing… [UPDATED: acquiring the &quotA Name in Seven Secret Alphabets&quot quality does not change where you’re at in Tales of the University, so no cheap Hedonism for me]
edited by metasynthie on 9/7/2015

Being confronted by the Bleary Entertainer for one’s decision in the case of The Absconding Devil makes little sense when one chose to leave them to it. Even if she still takes issue with that decision, the question should then have been the opposite: What gives one the right to not decide other people’s lives?

I’m really curious. Did anyone manage to milk the looping bug for Connected: Masters to an extraordinary level? Two of my characters have earned Masters to 11 and some change the hard way. I missed the loop, sadly, or I would have been sorely tempted to hammer that gift button repeatedly.

So I guess I’m at the last tier, since I’d done all the other stuff earlier–I have a department of my own (if only it were that easy in real life) but I’m still in the middle of the investigation. Does that mean I can’t progress (and get the Lens etc) until I get kicked out?
edited by foucault on 9/7/2015

Also, were any other people given no option other than “Examine the gift” ? I thought this was one of those occasions where you could choose to downgrade your progress. In both my cases, at Watchful 200+, we had no option but to take A Name at 7.

If you’ve finished the University story, it appears you have no choice but to take A Name at 7. If you have “A Scholar of the Correspondence” but haven’t finished the University, you have a storylet where you must take A Name at 6. The lower levels are a little more flexible but you need various unique qualities (Acquaintance: the Honey-Addled Detective, or the concluding qualities of the Missing Heiress case, etc) in order to get some of the middling levels.

I accidentally selected the wrong option on the patch card. Is there a reset code? There was one for the Persuasive patch content if I recall corrctly.

Thank you, good to know my progress was as-intended at least.

@Lucas - As for a reset code, it was a gratis last time for this being so new, and being quite buggy upon its first implementation. This time seems to have been relatively without hiccups, but there’s always a chance of a code. If not a public one, perhaps a feedback email one they may provide in cases of genuine error. No harm in asking I’d think.

Is anyone else considering making a new character just to experience early content the new way? I wonder if a surge in throw-away alts is imminent when all 4 are revamped.