It's Snowing in Fallen London

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Doomjoon][quote=suinicide]I think its just &quoteveryone gets a snowfall and after that its on Tth&quot but then, I didn’t clear it in time, so I don’t know if that happened to me.
edited by suinicide on 12/12/2016[/quote]

that makes sense, but then it seems odd that this first snowfall is RIGHT before the snowfall on TtH. Unless if TtH is desynced for each character. Besides, there should be 4 total, if I’m not mistaken. This would make it 5, if the last one happens in the first few days of January.[/quote]
Characters have TtH at different times and days; it’s based on when the character was created iirc. So the first snowfall is for everyone but some people get TtH right around then.[/quote]
[color=#00ffcc]Is it normal to have TtH shifted over the course of a year?[/color] Mine’s went from Saturday to Sunday to currently Monday. (Does geography have anything to do with it either?)
edited by jamilah on 12/13/2016

Server troubles will slowly move your TtH. Though yours seems rather fast.
edited by suinicide on 12/13/2016

I’d say eat it if you can take the wounds (and as you’ll probably have cards you can send, hopefully you can) as this gives 1-2 levels on success, but one even on a fail. Success saves you a pail, and you can just use a soul if you fail. Then use your monocle twice to lvl 8 and wait for Mr Sacks. Btw, it doesn’t tell you what lvl you are at when you gain, but you can check on your ‘myself’ tab or scrapbook.

Edit: don’t use this method if you have more than ToL 1 though, as it caps out at 2 on a failure 3 on a success.
edited by Amsfield on 12/13/2016
Edit 2: Apparently you’re not guaranteed 2 levels on success. Not sure what the odds are but you’ll get either 1 or 2 levels.
edited by Amsfield on 12/13/2016

I’m wondering why I haven’t heard people recommend that option before, but it does seem better. Just switch to using a soul if you fail.

Success: Eat, monocle, monocle.
Failure: Eat, monocle, soul, monocle.

I’d say eat it if you can take the wounds (and as you’ll probably have cards you can send, hopefully you can) as this gives 2 levels on success, but one even on a fail. Success saves you a pail, and you can just use a soul if you fail. Then use your monocle twice to lvl 8 and wait for Mr Sacks. Btw, it doesn’t tell you what lvl you are at when you gain, but you can check on your ‘myself’ tab or scrapbook.

Edit: don’t use this method if you have more than ToL 1 though, as it caps out at 2 on a failure 3 on a success.
edited by Amsfield on 12/13/2016[/quote]
I successfully ate a bucket of Lacre. Indeed it raised my ToL 2 levels.

Edit: I’ve rectified my former statement about it raising only one level.
edited by jamilah on 12/13/2016

[quote=Jamilah Sauvage G. Wolf]
I successfully ate a bucket of Lacre. Never again. It only raised my ToL one level :([/quote]

Odd, I got 2 earlier. Just checked the wiki, and it does say 1-2, so I suppose its a gamble. Still one I’d risk for for only 5cp of wounds though.

I noticed my option to accept help required The Airs of London to be 51+, but I’m not sure if having an Airs below that would hide the storylet or just change the text.[/quote]
It changes the text. I have just received my second Snowbound (due to a ridiculously well-timed TtH), and chosen to have a Master clear the way both times, once with airs 27 and one with 68.

The airs determine which Master clears the ‘snow’. At airs 1-50 it is Mr. Spices, at 51-100 it is Mr. Pages.
Spices was even considerate enough to give me a Night-Whisper so I can have a replacement pail from the urchins :). Mr Pages gives a Personal Recommendation.

edited by Akernis on 12/13/2016[/quote]
There’s quite a few different possible Masters who may appear. I bet there’s alt successes on each individual option.

[quote=Amsfield][quote=Jamilah Sauvage G. Wolf]
I successfully ate a bucket of Lacre. Never again. It only raised my ToL one level :([/quote]

Odd, I got 2 earlier. Just checked the wiki, and it does say 1-2, so I suppose its a gamble. Still one I’d risk for for only 5cp of wounds though.[/quote]
I stand corrected sir. It is 2 levels.

I saved up storm threnodys for the entire year so i’d be set for my first sacksmas. Lose all but 2 of the pails I bought including the advent pail trying to get a second dark crab. Still don’t have said dark crab.

Please throw me onto a fluke.

[quote=Zecjala]I was given a whiring contraption, it sounded like pages, though I don’t remember airs.[/quote]That was Mr Fires. ;)

[quote=Optimatum]There’s quite a few different possible Masters who may appear. I bet there’s alt successes on each individual option.[/quote]I did some mantelpiece-googling and found echoes of four different Masters clearing snow: Fires, Pages, Spices and Wines. If there’s another one, it must be really rare!

As to rewards:
Fires: Whirring Contraption
Pages: Personal Recommendation
Spices: Night-Whisper
Wines: Searing Enigma
edited by phryne on 12/2/2018

I did some mantelpiece-googling and found echoes of four different Masters clearing snow: Fires, Pages, Spices, Wines. If there’s another one, it must be really rare!

As to rewards, it sounds like Fires gives a Whirring Contraption, Pages a Personal Recommendation, and Spices a Night-Whisper. Wines’ reward sounds like a Searing Enigma, but no guarantees…
edited by phryne on 12/13/2016[/quote]
So I got pages.

Also got a live specimen from a sack drawing.
edited by Trilby on 12/13/2016

[quote=Absintheuse][color=#cc0099]Closer to Christmas day, a new festive premium story will be available for purchase featuring everyone’s favourite Mayor of London and the Empress’ Shadow![/color][/quote]I couldn’t make sense of this &quotEmpress’ Shadow&quot at first, but re-reading The Gift I realized it’s Vicky, her eldest daughter who stayed on the Surface! That’s going to be interesting. Seems like this story will be kind of a sequel to The Gift, then.

[quote=Jamilah Sauvage G. Wolf][color=#00ffcc]Is it normal to have TtH shifted over the course of a year?[/color] Mine’s went from Saturday to Sunday to currently Monday. (Does geography have anything to do with it either?)
edited by jamilah on 12/13/2016[/quote]

There was a point around the time the app went live that TtH moved by several days. People noted it on the forum, and I actually wrote to support. It’s due to large numbers of new &quotliving stories&quot being initiated all at once, ahead of those that are already running.

Yeah, server crashes and the like can also affect TtH.

I got an Enigma, so this looks right.

As this seems one of the best strategy, I’ll re post it from the guide:

[quote=Gonen]
Thanks for the guide, all of you who contributed to it!
Perhaps it was said on other pages in this post, but I wanted to correct (i think) the amount of Pails of Snow needed:
Instead of 4 Pails to reach level 8 ToL, as said above, you can have a good run at 2 pails:

1. Wait until having 1 ToL and 2 Pails (1 ToL through the Advent or at the first day of Mr. Sacks. We already got 1 Pail today)
  2. Do not linger on until the second ToL arrives but use the Monocle twice right away - reaching 7 ToL. Thus, using only 2 Pails.
  3. Mr sacks will give another 4 ToL (5 if doctor or notaries) - so thats 11 (12) ToL.
  4. Buy the Bazaar 5 lodging with 9 ToL - left with 2 ToL
  5. Twice the Monocle - 8 ToL (lost 2 Pails of Snow)
  6. Buy Beth-Lehem’s Hotel with 8 ToL.
    Point being - need not spend 4 Pails but only 2 for the first prize. Another 2 for the second prize.
    Am I correct or got the calculations wrong?[/quote]

As this seems one of the best strategy, I’ll re post it from the guide:

[quote=Gonen]
Thanks for the guide, all of you who contributed to it!
Perhaps it was said on other pages in this post, but I wanted to correct (i think) the amount of Pails of Snow needed:
Instead of 4 Pails to reach level 8 ToL, as said above, you can have a good run at 2 pails:

1. Wait until having 1 ToL and 2 Pails (1 ToL through the Advent or at the first day of Mr. Sacks. We already got 1 Pail today)
  2. Do not linger on until the second ToL arrives but use the Monocle twice right away - reaching 7 ToL. Thus, using only 2 Pails.
  3. Mr sacks will give another 4 ToL (5 if doctor or notaries) - so thats 11 (12) ToL.
  4. Buy the Bazaar 5 lodging with 9 ToL - left with 2 ToL
  5. Twice the Monocle - 8 ToL (lost 2 Pails of Snow)
  6. Buy Beth-Lehem’s Hotel with 8 ToL.
    Point being - need not spend 4 Pails but only 2 for the first prize. Another 2 for the second prize.
    Am I correct or got the calculations wrong?[/quote][/quote]

Does 3 via monkey, to 6 via monocle, to 7 with tears count even if I used 4 more on a second monkey.

While I am enjoying my first Christmas in Fallen London, I am a bit miffed that spending fate on the incarnadine robe then meant I had no pails of so-called snow…! While I did obtain a home comfort, this has something of giving with one hand and taking away with the other about it…

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Doomjoon][quote=suinicide]I think its just &quoteveryone gets a snowfall and after that its on Tth&quot but then, I didn’t clear it in time, so I don’t know if that happened to me.
edited by suinicide on 12/12/2016[/quote]

that makes sense, but then it seems odd that this first snowfall is RIGHT before the snowfall on TtH. Unless if TtH is desynced for each character. Besides, there should be 4 total, if I’m not mistaken. This would make it 5, if the last one happens in the first few days of January.[/quote]
Characters have TtH at different times and days; it’s based on when the character was created iirc. So the first snowfall is for everyone but some people get TtH right around then.[/quote]

Drat, if so I think fell foul of this too :( My TtH is pretty close to Monday noon GMT (12.30ish?) and I didn’t log-in yesterday till one o’clock. Drat.

Oh well, nevermind these things happen, back to getting scalped by the Urchin-racket :)

-My complete guess would be Snowbound will end at Noon GMT on the 2nd of Jan? So everyone (well almost everyone… sob) can get 5 free pails? (One triggered by the event yesterday, one for each TtH up to the 2nd and one from the advent calendar last week?)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 12/13/2016

Not quite! I think FBG added this vague date to tell that everyone would get 5 SNOWBOUND! events. Probably at 12:00 GMT, but probably some people who were visited few moments after the first snow weren’t able to clear the path right away.

[quote=Absintheuse][color=#cc0099]
Note: The Snowbound effect will remain constant this year until sometime shortly after 6th January 2017.
[/color][/quote]