Hallowmas 1895 is Here!

Great info there, many thanks (here and there as well)!
It does sound tempting, but let’s see how far I can get; I do want some companions as well! :D

So if you’re a completionist like me, you’ll need 21 confessions for the companion upgrades, 15 for the lance and another 6 for each point of criminal record you’ll want to reduce. Oh my. Is this even possible without using fate?

I don’t even want to think about it specially that i missed last year’s final companion by 2 confessions! :(
In the meantime I made this sheet so everyone with a google account (or download as xlsx) can track their progress. Instructions included!
edited by Skinnyman on 10/24/2017

Anyone know that value range on the bundle of oddities given by the Hallowmass Visitor card?

Maybe, with a maxed BTR? I don’t know, grinding to 9 notability a couple dozen times in two weeks is gonna be rough for anybody. Certainly impossible for me, at the level this character’s at.

Up to 200, so perfect for getting your soul back.

Maybe, with a maxed BTR? I don’t know, grinding to 9 notability a couple dozen times in two weeks is gonna be rough for anybody. Certainly impossible for me, at the level this character’s at.[/quote]

My BDR is close to max at 29 and I could probably manage getting to 8 once a day, assuming I can draw the Amanuensis card at the right time. Not easy at all.

Has anyone echoed the Barrister’s confession? I was in such a hurry to celebrate my weasel, I forgot to read the confession itself!

You know what would be perfect here? The option to share nobility with players on the Amanuensis card. With a BDR of 29, I think the difference between Notability 8 and 9 is roughly 23 points of Making Waves, so being able to quickly recover and get back into the grind would be a godsend. I doubt this would be viable, though, since the option was taken down due to issues on the mobile app and needed to be reworked.

Failing that, perhaps an option to dig for confessions in a Flash Lay might be viable. It may seem too easy for this to be a balanced option, though, so maybe implementing this in the second week of Hallowmas or requiring an additional cost of the player could level it out.

On a side note, how many free confessions will we get overall? Am I right in assuming it’s 7 (1 free confession from the start, 3 the first week, 3 the second week)?

Blimey, the old beast is a bit sluggish today. All the Hallowmassing slowing her down a tad, one supposes?

This is my first Hallowmas, can someone tell me what the “Attract a Visitor” storylet is for? Is it to just gain a destiny?

Spamming this sheet to help you with companion and confession tracking, sorry! Nothing special, but I do hope it will help someone.
Let the grinding begging! Or lottery!
edited by Skinnyman on 10/24/2017

I’ve been setting out some plans for how best to acquire confessions as well as use fate, and now I’m curious whether or not it would be cheaper to summon an unlikely confession or to create a Favourable Circumstance with fate. The instant confession costs 15 fate, while the FC costs 8. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if using the Notability route is plausible for you except for the need of a leftover point in Notability, could simply using the FC to regain your first Notability point and work through the grind from there be considered the least expensive method? The reason I ask is because, if we instead use the 15 fate to buy the confession, we could also grind Notability alongside this method at a slower yet still productive rate and potentially gain more confessions in roughly the same amount of time. Math isn’t my strongsuite :/

EDIT: Oh yeah, you’re right Kaijyuu, the Nobility option is 3 points more expensive than last year. I would have preferred it to be 5 or 7, but oh well.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 10/24/2017

8 notability for a confession? Gods damn. After last hallowmas frazzled me with the notability grind, I was hoping this one would be more leisurely as I have more BDR. Nope; it’s worse this time!

:|

I’d prefer explicit fate costs for things if they don’t expect people to be able to get everything for free.

I love my Utterly Livid Bat!

[quote=Kaijyuu]8 notability for a confession? Gods damn. After last hallowmas frazzled me with the notability grind, I was hoping this one would be more leisurely as I have more BDR. Nope; it’s worse this time!

:|

I’d prefer explicit fate costs for things if they don’t expect people to be able to get everything for free.[/quote]

Quite so. I thought I was at a reasonable enough point with 27 BDR, but this is rather brutal. Non-endgame players don’t stand much of a fighting chance here, do they?

Other than that, I do love the whole business and the new companions as well. The cost is at least one point too steep for me to entirely enjoy the season’s collecting, though.

I haven’t used the Favourable Circumstances method for anything yet, but going by the wiki it no longer offers arranging the visit from Slowcake’s. The option is marked as retired and as replaced by the one that requires 1 Notability to summon (without the FC requirement anymore).

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]You know what would be perfect here? The option to share nobility with players on the Amanuensis card. With a BDR of 29, I think the difference between Notability 8 and 9 is roughly 23 points of Making Waves, so being able to quickly recover and get back into the grind would be a godsend. I doubt this would be viable, though, since the option was taken down due to issues on the mobile app and needed to be reworked.

Failing that, perhaps an option to dig for confessions in a Flash Lay might be viable. It may seem too easy for this to be a balanced option, though, so maybe implementing this in the second week of Hallowmas or requiring an additional cost of the player could level it out.

On a side note, how many free confessions will we get overall? Am I right in assuming it’s 7 (1 free confession from the start, 3 the first week, 3 the second week)?[/quote]

[li]
Couldn’t agree more! It seems a wee bit unfestive to have upped the notability cost so dramatically, particularly since New Hallowmas was already punishing enough for all but endgame players (not least since rewards are evidently only going to be available for one year - am I right in thinking you had two years to get everything from the Fruits of the Zee? - which effectively makes things fate-locked - alas, rubbery campanologist, I shall love you from afar) - given the increased cost it would have been nice to see things like the Polite Invitation, Flash Lay and Investigation brought into use. It would give not only a bit of variety (does ANYONE enjoy notability grinding? and there’s so much more of it to do these days) but also to allow less-than-maxed players a fair shake. I always thought the Election was such a well designed festival in that regard. Not that there’s any obligation on the part of the developers to make everything obtainable of course - FL doesn’t exactly make completionism feasible - and who knows how the second week will play out! We are only on day one.

Yes, here!

I quite enjoyed Hallowmas last year, and just barely managed to snag all the companions by the skin of my teeth.

But I am somewhat disappointed this year, because this incarnation is missing what was quite clearly the objectively best part of last year–new art! And not entirely new art, but art that was a small and hilarious variation on existing art!

My two new companions look identical in my inventory to the base companions that they used to be. They give the appearance of having been unchanged. And more importantly, my weasel has no tiny scarf or miniature hat from its adventures in Mahogany Hall. Since the Weasel is this year’s Goldfish, it deserves something better.