Firmament - Chapter 1

Irrigo over-Exposure: Eventually seals your eyes under a layer of bone

Violant over-Exposure: Gives you too many eyes unable to look away from specific things, you may need Shapeling Arts to flow around this problem. also it’s the place to make the Violant Suit from Parabola Linen

4 Likes

Oh hell yeah! Additional idea: along with growth of excessive eyes, there is also loss of the ability to blink

4 Likes

I agree. I recognise a writing style I’ve disliked a few other times including in some Exceptional Stories. This author emphasises mood and atmosphere at the expense of meaning, it seems to me. I appreciate what they try to do, but I really need to be able to picture what’s going on and follow the plot.
For example: when you fall into the Gullet you land on… something. It’s “warm to the touch, and soft,” like living flesh, “though shaped like bone.” Well, bones are lots of different shapes so that’s not helpful. It’s a “slurry of soft, rubber-like substance. You run your hands through it […]Flesh runs through your fingers like melted candlewax.” Like a liquid? Living or dead, flesh doesn’t behave like this. You landed on it, so it must be solid. I don’t know what they are trying to communicate. Then there’s “the wounds on the bodies. Self-inflicted. […] A sacrifice,” so… it’s dead flesh? Dead flesh is not soft and warm. Then “your feet stick and cleave to the mass of pooling flesh beneath you that covers the Gullet’s floor from end to end. Several times you slip and duck under the bobbing pools of unmoored meat.” Bobbing pools? Is there liquid? or just flesh? Oddly alive, or rotting and dead?
I know the Starved use flesh in a lot of really bizarre and unintuitive ways, but this raises far more questions than it answers. It’s a big WTF that leaves a feeling of the writer not having put much effort in… like they just wanted to be horrifying.

It’s not that I don’t understand figurative writing. I’ve been a student of literature for an embarrassingly long number of years. I’ve read plenty of experimental and non-representational writing and generally don’t have much trouble with it. But when there’s a plot to follow and a mental picture to see, writing needs to serve that.

I don’t like to complain about something in my favourite game ever. It’s the best writing normally, and all the more reason I don’t want to have to wade through anymore of this sloppy style of writing.

6 Likes

The second part of Firmament will arrive next Tuesday, the 2nd of July.

7 Likes

I am looking forward to that

That’s really late June. When did it get pushed back?

Oh dear, looks like I have to devote some time to grind for Stuivers instead of Scrips soon.

2 days ago; I relayed the message as soon as I saw it because I was afraid to forget about it. :smiley:

Depending on your lab equipment, students, staff and ambition, it may be better than the chambers above; Ecs… something.

1 Like

… as I understood the lab experiment, it will get more profitable as we discover more places and n the roof - so maybe grinding Stuivers later will save time in the end?

Pretty sure that we will get better sources than available now. But earlier you get items with bonuses, more time and checks you could use them on. So pre-grinding might have some merit.

3 Likes

Exactly!
Well, the thing is I have too many AP and too little time for stories. If I end up with max, I just head to the lab and do some experiments.