Fallen London: Zeefarer

[quote=Mulligan]I’m liking the Khanate grind so far. Has a nice feeling of progress to it.[/quote]Yeah, though I think it adds a slightly flat feeling to it that the infiltration options are all totally functionally equivalent, with no variation in outcomes, just time/place and the attribute check. But certainly it makes balancing easier.

I feel the same way about the Moulin monograph turn-ins, for example. Give us more crunchy, asymmetrical, unpredictable rewards like Forgotten Quarter expeditions! They itch my brain so good :P

The network gives both Gant-box and new Chess item. Mentioning just in case.

Anyone find out what happens when the Taimen’s Attention hit 8? I want to intrigue more, but I’m skirting the limit. A loss of obfuscation is fine, but I get the feeling I’ll be summarily executed/imprisoned/both.

For me, it just hangs there and doesn’t increase despite events that would have made it increase if it was under 8. (&quotTaimen’s Attention has not changed from 8 because it’s higher than 8.&quot)

I’ve managed to do the &quotmost difficult&quot (or maybe most advanced?) intrigue, and am wondering whether I really care about getting my network maxed out. Seems like LOT of monotonous grinding for precious little flavor.
edited by Diptych on 6/27/2021

Odd - editing seems to have died for me. But “Taimen’s Attention has not changed from 8 because it’s higher than 8.” Now to wonder why I’m increasing my network and what the point is.

Network 5 gives an option for a Chess item.
Network 10 gives an option for 50 cablegrams at once for 140 points.
Beyond that - so far nothing.

It seems like you can use the chapel of lights to teleport back to London now (if you’ve advanced that far into SMEN, of course), might be efficient? I just did it while I was coming from the khanate, it takes seven actions to teleport but I’m not going back to the zee for a little while to test out how efficient it is (but the very idea is hilarious so I’m leaving it here).

Has anyone had trouble getting a Radical Physician? I am at Strength of Your Khangian Network 14 and haven’t had a single one yet. I’m wondering if I am doing something wrong.

[quote=Feldon Smithe]Has anyone had trouble getting a Radical Physician? I am at Strength of Your Khangian Network 14 and haven’t had a single one yet. I’m wondering if I am doing something wrong.[/quote]The agent that you are able to recruit for your network changes based on your Airs of the Khanate quality. The Radical Physician is only available at Airs 80-89, so you have a 10% chance of getting them. If you don’t have an intrigue active, you can walk through the Porcelain Quarters or play a game of shatar in the Nephrite Quarters to roll the quality.

Are there any opportunity cards in the Snares which can unlock anything? That is, if I’m zailling just to grind Zee Legs, is there any point to passing through the Snares over and over?

Thank you Diptych for [CENSORED]

On another note - does anyone else get the impression that the Clipper is now by far the most advantageous ship for actual Zailing? The Yacht’s unique options don’t seem to make up for its relatively slow speed and that one point of BDR advantage is less important than it used to be. (I haven’t tried to evaluate the Zubmersible options for comparison.)
edited by Dagforth on 6/27/2021

[quote=Dagforth]Thank you Diptych for [CENSORED]

On another note - does anyone else get the impression that the Clipper is now by far the most advantageous ship for actual Zailing? The Yacht’s unique options don’t seem to make up for its relatively slow speed and that one point of BDR advantage is less important than it used to be. (I haven’t tried to evaluate the Zubmersible options for comparison.)
edited by Dagforth on 6/27/2021[/quote]

I think my last reply disappeared somewhere…
The Clipper has always been the best ship for zailing, and this update hasn’t changed that much. The only case where it necessarily saves actions over yacht/zub currently is against the currents, though.
While 2 BDR might not be as useful once you’re through the Notability grind, respectable is still useful for railway boards and for the new options in the Khanate, and you get this benefit even when not zailing.

As for zubs, they have several options only available to them, and e.g. getting 15 bizarre for the bone market is quite a bit easier with a zub.
In general I feel like the ships are quite balanced now.

You are my hero.

[quote=Emma DeLeskie]It seems like you can use the chapel of lights to teleport back to London now (if you’ve advanced that far into SMEN, of course), might be efficient? I just did it while I was coming from the khanate, it takes seven actions to teleport but I’m not going back to the zee for a little while to test out how efficient it is (but the very idea is hilarious so I’m leaving it here).[/quote]I don’t think it’s efficient to do this (in fact, the action cost for leaving the chapel was increased from 1 to 7 before Zeefarer was released specifically to prevent this from being good).

I’m playing an entirely ridiculous amount of shatar, here. The Khanate seems to be completely devoid of doctors. Could really do with an alternative source for those damn pearls.

hmm, so the Khanate is basically Wilmot’s End 2.0. Bigger, better, and still devoid of actual spy stories.

Sass aside, the Khanate so far feels quite fun. Reminds me of setting up a network in Sunless Sea, although I still prefer that implementation of the idea. It’s a bit of an action sink, however, and I’m not sure I’m really building up to anything here.

[quote=Dagforth]Thank you Diptych for [CENSORED]

edited by Dagforth on 6/27/2021[/quote]

I’ve felt that while for a way now, honestly. Generally I just want to sail quickly and it sure does speed better than any other boat.

By the way, does anyone have the full echo for smuggling up Master’s Blood?

Given the new cards, the zub seems to me to have lost most of its appeal. In four or five runs, the option to dive came up once. Landed with the boatman once and once in the marches. The text on return to London to make amends to the crew completely lacks any reference to the zub and seems generally only to apply to above-the-waterline ships.
Love the three new dream options, though.

Is it currently possible to raise the cap on Zeefaring? The instructions in the captain’s cabin indicate you can raise the cap by reaching far-out destinations, but I haven’t found it yet. Nothing at the Khanate, I docked at Polythreme but don’t have the patience to run the carousel, and Irem is clearly planned but doesn’t seem to be released yet.