Fallen London: Zeefarer

From today, all Fallen London players with a ship can enjoy an improved zailing experience and explore a substantial new port at Zee. Find out more!

At last, it’s time to zail the zeven zees once more! Avast, ye scurvy dogs! Full steam ahead!

Finally we can visit the Widow’s hometown.

Wasn’t her hometown the Fourth City? The Khanate is of course related, but I had understood it was still a different place.

I am way too afraid to click on the new (?non-Seeking?) option to go to Avid Horizon so I will patiently lurk in the comments like the coward I am until a braver soul recounts the journey

So: two cards, and I’m already in Bullbone?

Sounds about right.

Zailing to the Khanate, traversing each Zee Zone took 160 progress, and each card gave progress equal to my ship’s Zailing Speed. Arriving at the port after getting to the right zone took 80 progress. So three cards to switch zones (four with the rustbucket), two cards to dock.

Helpful but not necessary at the Khanate: A skeleton with Antiquity, at least 1 connected: widow, and three criminal favours.

I just discovered that having a list of Aliases writ in Gant offers the chance of an assassination if you encounter a steamer…

If you’re not a Seeker it’ll just tell you to zail somewhere else, and won’t change any qualities.

I think I crossed the entire Sea of Voices with a single card. That clay colossus hurls you quite a distance.

The matter of her hometown might be considered a spoiler. :-)

I’m enjoying the numerous opportunities as a Monster Hunter. The atmosphere around the Pillared Sea gave me some lovely deja vu for Sunless Seas. Initially surprised there wasn’t an option to cash in my Experienced Zailor quality before setting off but I think I’ll enjoy building up the new skills from scratch so no harm there.

[quote=Dagforth]Initially surprised there wasn’t an option to cash in my Experienced Zailor quality before setting off but I think I’ll enjoy building up the new skills from scratch so no harm there.[/quote]This really threw me for a loop as well. I wondered aloud when the new Zeefarer skill was first announced how the previous Experienced Zailor quality would be factored into the new arrangement, and it rather seems as though the answer is &quotnot at all&quot. If it is indeed the case that the old measure of a captain has now been unceremoniously dumped then I do frankly feel a bit put out.

Sounds about right.

Zailing to the Khanate, traversing each Zee Zone took 160 progress, and each card gave progress equal to my ship’s Zailing Speed. Arriving at the port after getting to the right zone took 80 progress. So three cards to switch zones (four with the rustbucket), two cards to dock.

Helpful but not necessary at the Khanate: A skeleton with Antiquity, at least 1 connected: widow, and three criminal favours.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! I had the last two items, but I’ll probably want to make a suitable skeleton before I (finally) set sail.

Once you have a Zee-leg, you’ll get another storylet at the Docks, where you raise the skill. There you must cash in your Experienced Zailor before actually raising the skill. It gives legs and ztories proportional to Zailor value (which are then spent on the skill).
edited by Aro Saren on 6/24/2021

Ah, that sounds nicely thought out then!

i seem to be stuck at zea? am not gaining any Zailing from my actions… blew through all 40 and nothing. also my Zubmersibility was not being seen as i could not pick options when it was shown.
edited by Skathes on 6/24/2021

Someone in the other thread was also complaining about not being able to make any zailing progress, seems to be a bug affecting some players. Contact support?

seems fixed now, that was quick

[quote=Skathes]seems fixed now, that was quick[/quote]You should still contact support - they might give you some coffee to make up for the actions you lost.

I was just thinking - ooh, I like the way Troubled Waters now seems to have some real consequences…

And BAM! I get to

meet the Fathomking!

Uh oh! :(

Perhaps setting off to circumnavigate the Unterzee against the prevailing current without building up the new skill first wasn’t the best plan.
edited by Dagforth on 6/24/2021