Fallen London: Zeefarer

Can you please advise how does one get the Gant-box?

You collect Zee Legs as you travel around at zee, aside from the initial conversion for your previous zailing experience you earned before the recent changes to zee part of FL. (You convert the initial experience at Worlstack Docks. After converting that up to 3 (I guess that’s the max), you pick up more Zee Legs the more you travel at Zee. When you go back to Wolfstack Docks, you can trade in Zee Legs at &quotA Return to Terra Firma&quot to level up.

Can you please advise how does one get the Gant-box?[/quote]
Sabotaging the Power Plant. It gives you a choice of two rewards, one being the Gant-filled mirrorcatch box.

That’s how you raise Zeefarer up to its starting cap of 5, which I have done. I’m asking how you raise the cap up to 7, which the game text implies can happen.

Can you please advise how does one get the Gant-box?[/quote]
Sabotaging the Power Plant. It gives you a choice of two rewards, one being the Gant-filled mirrorcatch box.[/quote]

But you have to have an empty mirrorcatch box, no?

Yes, you need an empty box.

Sorry. Yes, I have the 21 Zee Legs but I’m stuck at Zeefarer 5 too and haven’t found anything. I would surmise that the expansion into The Corsair’s Forest and Irem, etc. will likely allow for an increase in cap, but I guess we’ll see.

I’m really enjoying the network building and spy craft at the Khanate? Can you ask the Numismatrix about the new currencies?

Would be nice to get some more sea legs progress instead of drowning off the london dock with six troubled waters. Guess I can **** a few days away on the river instead…

How do you guys even manage to drown? I’ve done some dozens of zee-voyages under the old system and a few with the new, no trouble so far staying afloat even in the most dangerous zones. Seems easy enough to control the risks as a late-game player. Just really bad card draws plus a bunch of unlucky rolls?

Well, the old system was easy-peasy, never drowned there, even as a beginner.
In the new, it seems a combination of not yet having identified the cards that lower troubled waters, the limiting of TW to 8 for death or loss of ship, so just the 7-8 gap between safety and total destruction.
And the rather limiting and irritating fact that most ports don’t reset. I was looking forward to the new zeefaring, but for the moment, I’ve decided to go off and do other things until I simmer down a bit.

[quote=Ragnar Degenhand]just the 7-8 gap between safety and total destruction[/quote]You may be onto something there, perhaps the crisis cards should already start appearing at level 6, or have higher frequency.

On the one hand the present system kind of resembles how it worked in the past once you hit TW10, but on the other, if I’ve understood things right it seems there’s a couple of key differences:

1. The new TW7 crisis cards are not, in and of themselves, the backstop for TW like they were in the old system, and since they’re not guaranteed draws, you might miss them and end up going straight to TW8 with no chance at redemption

2. Instant transfer into a menace zone seems a harsher outcome than the loss of progress suffered in the old system when failing in a crisis.

So while I never actually suffered that progress loss in the old system or died yet in the new, I guess I can see how this may be a fair bit more punishing.
edited by Tsar Koschei on 7/5/2021

Mostly? Bar one genuinely blunder on purpose, by taking some really nasty checks with a poor loadout, and then laughing at both the Fathomking and the Boatman by using my cider-blessed soul to just pop up back in London and doing it all over again.

Now that I’ve acquired enough Airag to replace my Master’s Blood, I mostly sail to rack up Zailor points for whenever the next level upgrade unlocks, and to pursue those fancy new dreams.

The bug where Becalmed used to zap you back to London without resetting Troubled Waters, so you started your next voyage with it already almost at 7. At least that’s the closest I came.

Okay, noob question here: how do you discover Atlas and the Khanate? Should I just roam the waters pointlessly until I bump into them?

The wiki records three sources for a Salt-Steppe Atlas - getting a coded document from a card and then decoding it in your Cabinet Noir, combining five Puzzling Maps, or building a statue of yourself as a zailor at Moulin, drawing its card, and getting a rare success.

[quote=Aronia]Okay, noob question here: how do you discover Atlas and the Khanate? Should I just roam the waters pointlessly until I bump into them?[/quote]There are three ways to discover the Khanate:

[ul][li]If you’ve reached Balmoral and fully upgraded your Cabinet Noir, you’ll get a 10x frequency opportunity card. This will give you a letter to decipher - once you’ve deciphered it, you will get an option to figure out a route to the Khanate. (deciphering this letter is the only way to get access to Khan’s Heart)[/li][li]You can also make a Salt Steppe Atlas by upconverting from 5 Puzzling Maps - using the Atlas will let you find a route to the Khanate.[/li][li]Finally, you can discover the Khanate by zailing through the Salt Steppes. Currently the only way to do this without having already found the Khanate is to go via Polythreme (or Grunting Fen). Simply zail from London to Polythreme, then zail back to London along the currents (you must go along the currents on your way back to London, or you won’t go through the Salt Steppes).
[/li][/ul]

I hope we can keep expanding our spy network around the Zee with the upcoming updates. It’d be nice to set it up at Port Carnelian to help us with our governorship.

Having done a few round trips of the zee, I can’t help but be disappointed by the new Zeefarer skill. It seems its only use is literally one card which has better options depending on your ambition and whether you’ve played Written in the Glim. I feel like it should act as a difficulty modified on most if not all of the checks at zee, or maybe it should have an effect on zailing speed, or something useful.

Perhaps Zeefaring will become more useful with future updates.

I must say, I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us. Both the Khanate (further Intrigues, other quarters,…) and the rest of the Zee (e.g. Gaider’s Mourn, but there are so many other places to go) have huge potential.

And I’m more than sure that Irem will have been the crowning jewel once it was implemented to never not have been available to us.