Fallen London Merchandise

I’d still cuddle that.

Also; plushie Bazaar. So you, too, can experience the magic of licking the Bazaar.

[quote=Spacemarine9]If you buy a Mr Eaten plushie, you will open the package to find nothing. The nothing will spread out and devour you, your home, your family. Every year, their memory will fade until nothing remains of you.
Also you’ll get melted wax on your clothes.
gross[/quote]

Another option: You won’t get anything, but Alexis will use the address to come by and set your house on fire.

[quote=mayexist][quote=Spacemarine9]If you buy a Mr Eaten plushie, you will open the package to find nothing. The nothing will spread out and devour you, your home, your family. Every year, their memory will fade until nothing remains of you.
gross[/quote]

Another option: You won’t get anything, but Alexis will use the address to come by and set your house on fire.[/quote]

Incidentally this is exactly how you get the sixth candle; Saint Fireman’s Candle.

I would dearly love to see this picture of the bazaar on a T-shirt:

[li]

Guaranteed I’ll buy something if it’s a replica of an in-game item. Saw some teeth in a jar on Tumblr, had a hunger for replicae since.

I have no interest in black shirts with a logo printed on the front. Unless they’re free.
[li]
edited by Vael Victus on 11/12/2013

While I share the general enthusiasm for plush rubberies and the like - and that’s saying something; I’m not usually one for figurines and such! - in terms of practical Christmas releases…

I for one would jump at big, bold clothing featuring Paul’s delightful art. A black tee with a Rubbery Man on it would be right up my alley. If the scarf ideas folks mentioned were at all possible, too - well, I love scarves! I certainly wouldn’t say no to, for instance, a tote bag proclaiming itself to contain salacious and esoteric materials seized by the Ministry of Public Decency, or bearing the arms of Benthic College. A map of the city would certainly be interesting, but I’m not sure quite where I’d put it - though I’d be all over it if it contributed to my locale-tracking project.

[quote=Spacemarine9][quote=mayexist][quote=Spacemarine9]If you buy a Mr Eaten plushie, you will open the package to find nothing. The nothing will spread out and devour you, your home, your family. Every year, their memory will fade until nothing remains of you.
gross[/quote]

Another option: You won’t get anything, but Alexis will use the address to come by and set your house on fire.[/quote]

Incidentally this is exactly how you get the sixth candle; Saint Fireman’s Candle.[/quote]

…You probably mean Saint FireSTARTER XD

I’d love something Mr Eaten related. Or maybe a Correspondence pin. I love the idea of Knife and Candle sports parody stuff and I’d definitely buy some subtle/meta things.

I’m all for the subtle clothing.

How about boxes/packages of Stolen Correspondence/Cryptic Clues/Whispered Secrets etc.? Each one contains all sorts of things: whole letters, handwritten notes, pieces of notes, scrawled doggerel, stuff stained beyond recognition, scorched attempts at Correspondence sigils, plus stamps and letterheads unique to the Neath. Maybe even replicas of small Neath-specific objects. A red-smeared Iron Token? A scrap of a Black Ribbon? Keys? First City Coins? Flyers and pamphlets? All of them torn/scratched/battered and generally used-looking, like a player character’s collection slipped through some sort of crack in reality. I would love to have something like that to play with, though I do think they might be fiddly to produce.

Failing that, pins. Pins are good. And I would do such things for a Correspondence Stone paperweight, you have no idea. Chalk up another yea for subtle clothing and esoterica as well.

A Correspondence Stone would be awesome, whether as a key chain or a replica. Whenever I talk about the game with some friends who haven’t played I generally mention the Correspondence. It makes a nice hook without spoiling late game content, and they just look neat.

I would definitely wear some of the subtle clothing ideas. Maybe a rubbery shirt too. I wanted a stone tentacle key IRL badly enough to make myself one. It’s carved from soapstone.

I can’t come up with anything new, because I’m too busy WANTING TO BUY EVERYTHING THAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID. ALEXIS, IF YOU MAKE THESE THINGS THE WALLET, IT SHALL ALWAYS BE EMPTY.[li]

Ahem.

While I would love the idea mentioned of stuff like the Correspondence Stone paperweight, and any number of plushies (and I would totally dress up fancy just to wear a Dilmun Club lapel pin), the best idea I have, since time for Christmas shopping (especially with international shipping) is coming up fast, it could be good to try to run some kind of survey to see what kind of pre-printable merchandise is most in demand from players, and then see what designs might be most desired. At the very least, that might give an idea of what could sell the best!

I kinda want a bandit chief plushy. I know someone made one a while back.
A copy of a newspaper whould be interesting. Really anything that gives us a bunch of lore could be great.
Like a copy of the screaming map!

As much as I love you and find many of these ideas cool, I would probably not end up buying anything. Just so you know.

I’ve been looking at the options provided by printing companies and at some of FL’s art, and I’m going to just think out loud about my personal preferences for a bit!

First of all, as I mentioned earlier, black/dark tees with nice big bold colourful images are a favourite. White/pale tees don’t suit me.

I’m not really a cap sort of guy. I have several top hats, homburgs, bowlers - no baseball caps. Somehow I don’t think this will surprise anyone.

In the immortal words of Bill Oddie, &quotyou know I’m a fool for badges!&quot Some of the ideas nominated above - like the Dilmun Club and Revolutionary symbols - strike me as better suiting a cast metal pin than a printed badge (which would be amazing, don’t get me wrong!) but there’s still plenty of FL art that would fit badge format nicely. In fact, it seems the perfect venue for an Exceptional Hat - especially the variant used on the Masters’ documents, stamped in wax.

More esoteric options - cufflinks, journals, gadget cases - would be suitably dapper, but I don’t know how generally popular they’d be. And they don’t necessarily show off the brand as well as tees and badges do - I’m more likely to notice a fellow Fallen Londoner if they’ve got a Rubbery Man on their lapel than if it’s on their keychain.

Art-wise… well, naturally, Rubbery Men look great, stand out colour-wise, and meet the public’s need for tentacl’d critters. What else is iconic for Fallen London? Correspondence Sigils, perhaps - especially if we’re told what that particular sigil means, so when someone asks &quotwhat’s that symbol on your shirt mean&quot, we can say &quotan unrequited passion for an impossibly distant, long-dead star.&quot What else? Rattus faber are cute as hell, but I probably wouldn’t get anything ratty because my wife has rodent-phobia. And I wouldn’t get anything sorrow-spidery because I have spider-phobia!

Otherwise… well, I shall keep pondering!

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]In the immortal words of Bill Oddie, &quotyou know I’m a fool for badges!&quot Some of the ideas nominated above - like the Dilmun Club and Revolutionary symbols - strike me as better suiting a cast metal pin than a printed badge (which would be amazing, don’t get me wrong!) but there’s still plenty of FL art that would fit badge format nicely. In fact, it seems the perfect venue for an Exceptional Hat - especially the variant used on the Masters’ documents, stamped in wax.

More esoteric options - cufflinks, journals, gadget cases - would be suitably dapper, but I don’t know how generally popular they’d be. And they don’t necessarily show off the brand as well as tees and badges do - I’m more likely to notice a fellow Fallen Londoner if they’ve got a Rubbery Man on their lapel than if it’s on their keychain.[/quote]

I don’t get badges. I seem to get loads at book conventions, and there’s sometimes a scrum over getting one of each kinds which utterly baffles me … do people actually wear them? I tend to give mine away or leave them in hotel rooms. They make holes in stuff … and they just make me feel more childish than I already do. If I’m wearing clothes which won’t look odd with badges on, it’s because I’m going minimum effort, where even attaching a badge is more dressing than I’m willing to do.
The only place I might add them is to my scruffy day bag - and even then I suspect they’d catch on things and annoy.
(Note, no judgement on people who do like them - just wondering aloud how popular they’d be, given they’re normally free advertising things, and I rarely see them beyond the event they’re given out at.) Something more sophisticated, that’s nice in its own right without a person having to play FL to appreciate it would be more … something to spend money on rather than impulse thing.

Guess the question about merchandise is: is it to show off the brand (personally uninteresting to me, sorry FB), or is it nice stuff for people who like FB to appreciate, even if only the only ‘gets’ it (more my kinda thing).

I’m socially anti-social. Recognising someone else as a FL player is not going to make me any more or less likely to approach them, and I don’t necessarily want to give people an opening to talk to me when they couldn’t have thought of one otherwise. (Yes, yes, I’m Grumplestiltskin.).

Fair points all - I like them just 'cause they’re nice little pictures of things that I like, that I can put on casual clothes and bags and things. And they look cool on the nerdier sort of outfit. I don’t tend to wear many these days, 'cause I’m not active in any fandoms or causes, but for Fallen London I’d make an exception.

Hmm. You know what, I’m not a fan of merchandise as I’m not a fan of brands on my apparel, but there’s something I’d enjoy - if you produced something, ANY kind of thing, containing some kind or cryptic clue about one of the Neath’s mysteries _

It could be a phrase hidden in a picture on a T-shirt, a crypted poem in a box of correspondence, a set of coordinates in a plushie label… Yep, THAT I’d definitely dig ^^

(Actually, I remember an old tabletop game doing something like that - you could compete for a prize if you sent the correct hidden sentence - you could find it on the gameboard, concealed by the border decorations).

Actually I would really like a shirt with the old login page’s tentacle lamppost on it. Or one done up like an old timey travel poster.
edited by KatarinaNavane on 11/12/2013