Estival: The Sixth Coil is here!

Anyone have an Echo for “Peer East through a Gaping Maw.”?

The RNG doesn’t love us. I’d been deleting the Arbor card for at least a couple of weeks – before it turned out I needed to play it. Since then? Neither sight nor sound of it. Nada. Nix. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve been flipping cards like mad for two days straight and I’ve eaten all 17 boxes of Murgatroyd’s jellied somethings I had gathered since I started the account. Nothing.

If you’ve done Discordant Studies, there is actually a way to force yourself into Arbor.

4 Likes

I have! What was it???

Ummm…what was it not ???

There’s an option to spend a level of Shapeling Arts and a Vial of Queenly Attar in the Adulterine Castle, but of course if you don’t have Queenly Attar already then you can’t do that option.

3 Likes

Thank you!
It’s not useful to me right now as I’ve just spent my vial for Roseate Gratitude, but I bet there’s at least one player who’s probably gonna be helped by this somewhere on these forums.

3 Likes

Wandering in the Sixth Coil is… fun. :upside_down_face:

It’ll probably take around a week to max out that World Quality, then I believe a new permanent location or option gets added to the game, going by previous Estival trends.

Not like it matters either way with cider.

I want to advance the story already but the Arbor card will not draw.

2 Likes

I mean - there were a lot of clues this year, and you needed only a small part of them to get all the rewards.

Still I think Failbetter outdid themselves with the mechanics of the Arbor clue:

Here’s a special location you can only enter by drawing one specific opportunity card. In that location you can get a very specific item whose only use is turning it in for a special quality (whose only use so far was in one Fate-locked story) in a specific Parabolan location only available via one specific ending of one Parabolan War.
You then need to draw the opportunity card again to turn in the quality for the clue.

And no, you can’t forcedraw the opportunity card.

I would definitely call that sadistic game design if this specific clue was in any way necessary or hugely important. As it stands I’m still calling it borderline sadistic (but also somewhat amusing). :laughing:

7 Likes

Right, turned in all the Clues, gathered and then handed over all five items, time to start what everyone has been doing for the past day!

Once I have actions that is. Thanks TtH for giving me ten more.

2 Likes

There! :smiley:
I am actually happy with it:

• Even newcomers (or lazy alts) can get 7+ clues without unlocking anything and without forcing the clues just to make this possible; all bland very well
  • Only 1 ambition clue this year
  • 42 possibles clues and the quality caps at 21
5 Likes

I agree, you can skip a clue or 2. And mind you I’m a pretty hardcore completionist generally: I got every single clue during the Horticultural Show last year, and got all 27 possible Clues in the first 4 batches. Decided I could skip 2 in the last batch.

As far as the story text, the clues do a decent job of being repetitive, in a useful way. Most of what you learn is covered by more than one clue, so if you miss one you probably still got the gist somewhere else.

I think it’s fine to let that one go, read the text from someone else’s journal, and move forward with the event.

But… I also totally sympathize if you’re stubborn and want to draw that damn card. Good luck o7

3 Likes

Mapping accelerated significantly, I think we added around million in last six hours.

2 Likes

You’re right, it’s crazy how fast it goes: I just had a look at the exact number for A Route to the Centre between two clicks and it went from 2,244,344 to 2,244,608 within like 3 seconds. :flushed:

Could someone do the maths on how long we’ll take to 10,000,000 if we keep this up?

IT JUST

WON’T

AAAAAA

I have no idea what I’m doing or how to go deeper. This is legitimately great.

1 Like

Welcome to the show!

Don’t go much deeper. There is nothing to see. If you’re subscribed (40 actions), don’t go beyond 20 Coiling Ever Deeper. If you’re not, don’t go beyond 10.

Pick up 2 or 3 of the items you see. If you can still reliably succeed challenges, pick up all 4 (Opera Cloak, Revolver, Magnifier, Mask). Then Decide to go back (Fleeing the Heart).

You get rewards (including more Coilheart Renown) for Mapping and how many items you bring back, but the items make the challenges harder as well.

In the end, you help increasing the world quality with every click inside the Sixth Coil.

3 Likes

I have two items and no idea what my maping is.

Ah damn. Discrete qualities… I always forget not everyone sees them.
There’s a browser extension to make them visible.

Then go by Coiling Ever Deeper. Roughly the same.

But you should still see Mapping the Labyrinth on your Myself page as well.

4 Likes