Election Candidate: The Bishop of Southwark

A Speech for the Bishop

Hear me citizens of London, I gather you here today to listen to the Good Word, Brought down from God above as the words of our Most Blessed Bishop of Southwark.

He hears the needy, the hungry, the orphans, the rubbery, the faithful, and our citizens of clay.

He hears you crying out to the heavens, &quotWhy God? Why must we suffer under the heels of Devils and those monsters who cavort with them?&quot

He hears these words and grows angry, for the people of God should not be made to suffer that indignity, that fear that your soul could be stolen at any moment, that you could go missing in the night for angering the wrong devil, and must bolt shut your home at night out of fear that a devil might come creeping in the night?

No more says the Bishop! No more injustice for the common man, woman, child, rubbery, or clayman.

No more bowing down to the demands of devils!

By God’s good grace, and the Bishops fists, we will remove these bl__dy Devils from London!

But, you say, &quotDoes the Bishop not remember the last war all too well?&quot

He does dear friend, he does.

But this is not war to be won in their homeland, nor is it one with guns and sword!

This crusade shall be won through our voices, our pens, and our pride!

For is London not our city, but the devils? No!

No matter what the Bazaar says, London is OURS, and that will never change!

But words alone will not be enough, oh, no, no.

Devils and their impish cohorts in the soul trade will not fight fair.

They shall come after us in the dark, wearing us down, forcing our surrender!

But we shall not surrender! They will come after us with Clubs and Neddy Men, and their D__nable hunts!

And we will fight back! By restoring souls to their owners, and bringing forth devils foul wrongdoings they keep hidden from the world, and forcing the constables to act in our stead!

And if the constables turn their clubs to us, we shall know they have sided with the foul demons of hell, and they cannot be trusted, we will not surrender, but raise our own in defence of all that is good and holy in this world!

So says the Bishop of Southwark, and may God Bless you all! (Remember to vote Bishop!)

Hum, where did you get this information from?[/quote]

From devils, no doubt. The credulity of some people never ceases to amaze!

Clearly this is slander spread by agitators from Jenny’s camp.
As long as the Bishop still stands against Hell and continues to wrestle bears for fun he has my vote!

Hum, where did you get this information from?[/quote]

From devils, no doubt. The credulity of some people never ceases to amaze![/quote]

From hard work and investigation in fact. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kylestien?fromEchoId=8984693

But know this: it is not my intent to slander. I intend to investigate the motivations of the other candidates.
edited by Kylestien on 7/4/2016

I present the result of my investigations on my own candidate: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Teaspoon?fromEchoId=8985739

In short, Sinning Jenny is not guilty of accepting campaign funding from the Masters, and in fact is self-financed. Nothing wrong with that, unless you’re heavily pro-Masters.

(vote Jenny!)

[quote=Kylestien]
From hard work and investigation in fact. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kylestien?fromEchoId=8984693

But know this: it is not my intent to slander. I intend to investigate the motivations of the other candidates.[/quote]
Still, a pity as I became pretty fond of some people of the Church due to the 5 minutes to Midday story. I’m starting to wonder if it’s really a conflict or if it ever was such a thing.
EDIT: Oh, the investigation from the Elections!
edited by Skinnyman on 7/4/2016

It’s not Fate-locked; it’s an investigation specifically for the election time located within the “An Election! London Must Decide!” storylet.

Realized that after I post it, but you commented faster than my edit. Thanks in any case!
I’ll just wait for the investigation of the Jovial Contrarian and start my own ride. I’ll probably go with Jenny as the Jovi annoys me a lot during the Polite Invitation story. :D
Thank you both for the information!

Realized that after I post it, but you commented faster than my edit. Thanks in any case!
I’ll just wait for the investigation of the Jovial Contrarian and start my own ride. I’ll probably go with Jenny as the Jovi annoys me a lot during the Polite Invitation story. :D
Thank you both for the information![/quote]
I decided to start off with the jovi’s investigation, if you’re interested! here’s an echo, spoilers of course http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/spacecatte?fromEchoId=8985447

Does the Bishop KNOW his funding is coming from devils? Because it would be extremely out of character for him to willingly work with devils. So much so that I’d have to object.

I decided to start off with the jovi’s investigation, if you’re interested! here’s an echo, spoilers of course http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/spacecatte?fromEchoId=8985447[/quote]

I wonder…could the Contrarian be the option for people who are pro-revolutionary but don’t support the Liberation of Night? I myself am a supporter of Jenny, but I must admit this would make him a very close second for me.

I decided to start off with the jovi’s investigation, if you’re interested! here’s an echo, spoilers of course http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/spacecatte?fromEchoId=8985447[/quote]
-snip-[/quote]

my gut feeling is that’s exactly where he stands right now, yes. i’m in a similar split between him and jenny, and am hoping to see more from their campaigns before making any huge progress on the campaign trail.

edited by spacecatte on 7/4/2016

Politics makes strange bedfellows. The Bishop of Southwark may be allying himself with the former princes of Hell in a bid to join forces against the Republic. Of course, this is probably even stupider than going it alone against the Republic. Jenny for Mayor! She won’t mire us in unnecessary foreign wars!
edited by geremy on 7/4/2016

I just can’t see him working with devils, any devils. It’s just SO OOC for him, and I can’t believe the writers would drag ALL his previous characterization through the mud for a cliched twist and/or cheap shot at the Church. The writing for this game is so much better than that.

To me it makes far more sense that he doesn’t know devils are backing him and would flip his lid if he found out.

[quote=Kylestien]But know this: it is not my intent to slander. I intend to investigate the motivations of the other candidates.
edited by Kylestien on 7/4/2016[/quote]

Indeed, the fact that tracking down this slander was so straightforward can only point to a Hellish scheme to discredit the only true friend of London.

[quote=Kukapetal]I just can’t see him working with devils, any devils. It’s just SO OOC for him, and I can’t believe the writers would drag ALL his previous characterization through the mud for a cliched twist and/or cheap shot at the Church. The writing for this game is so much better than that.

To me it makes far more sense that he doesn’t know devils are backing him and would flip his lid if he found out.[/quote]
are there any new things about him knowingly siding with devils? i’ve only seen the investigation about his backers, which kept it ambiguous about whether or not he knew. i would personally think he doesn’t. but then again, there are also the new campaign cards floating around. i’ve seen jenny’s, but haven’t seen the other candidates’. is there something about the brimstone convention on bishop’s that would be good to know?

[quote=spacecatte][quote=Kukapetal]I just can’t see him working with devils, any devils. It’s just SO OOC for him, and I can’t believe the writers would drag ALL his previous characterization through the mud for a cliched twist and/or cheap shot at the Church. The writing for this game is so much better than that.

To me it makes far more sense that he doesn’t know devils are backing him and would flip his lid if he found out.[/quote]
are there any new things about him knowingly siding with devils? i’ve only seen the investigation about his backers, which kept it ambiguous about whether or not he knew. i would personally think he doesn’t. but then again, there are also the new campaign cards floating around. i’ve seen jenny’s, but haven’t seen the other candidates’. is there something about the brimstone convention on bishop’s that would be good to know?[/quote]

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the game text indicates that the Bishop is KNOWINGLY working with devils.

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=spacecatte][quote=Kukapetal]I just can’t see him working with devils, any devils. It’s just SO OOC for him, and I can’t believe the writers would drag ALL his previous characterization through the mud for a cliched twist and/or cheap shot at the Church. The writing for this game is so much better than that.

are there any new things about him knowingly siding with devils? i’ve only seen the investigation about his backers, which kept it ambiguous about whether or not he knew. i would personally think he doesn’t. but then again, there are also the new campaign cards floating around. i’ve seen jenny’s, but haven’t seen the other candidates’. is there something about the brimstone convention on bishop’s that would be good to know?[/quote]

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the game text indicates that the Bishop is KNOWINGLY working with devils.[/quote]
Honestly, he probably doesn’t. It isn’t news that the Bishop wants to declare war on Hell and invade them all over again, nor is it unknown that this could wreak havoc on London depending on the outcome. What may be less known is that the devils not only anticipate this but WANT London to attack. A war would give them power of London; transactions taken against Hell have been shown to provide a boon to them in diplomatic terms, a new war means new souls to steal and new rowers for their triremes, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the older members of the Brass Embassy just want a good war for the sake of war. Hell can probably get quite boring, after all.

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen][quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=spacecatte][quote=Kukapetal]I just can’t see him working with devils, any devils. It’s just SO OOC for him, and I can’t believe the writers would drag ALL his previous characterization through the mud for a cliched twist and/or cheap shot at the Church. The writing for this game is so much better than that.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the game text indicates that the Bishop is KNOWINGLY working with devils.[/quote]
Honestly, he probably doesn’t. It isn’t news that the Bishop wants to declare war on Hell and invade them all over again, nor is it unknown that this could wreak havoc on London depending on the outcome. What may be less known is that the devils not only anticipate this but WANT London to attack. A war would give them power of London; transactions taken against Hell have been shown to provide a boon to them in diplomatic terms, a new war means new souls to steal and new rowers for their triremes, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the older members of the Brass Embassy just want a good war for the sake of war. Hell can probably get quite boring, after all.[/quote]
Plus, in peace, it’s probably every devil for themselves when it comes to soul gathering, but in war? the officials probably got the lion’s share of the hostage-souls last time, and that might well happen again. If it does, those officials have even more desire to go to war- and good souls are usually hard to find, but the hostage exchange was likely far more profitable.

The point of this isn’t that he’s knowingly working with devils, but that he’s doing exactly what they want nevertheless.

yeah, that’s how i’ve been thinking it’s going: the devils intentionally manipulating the campaign and the want to invade hell in order to further some other end.

i’ve seen someone say that the brimstone convention is involved in this, which would make for a perfect motive: the old princes of hell trying to use the bishop’s crusade as a way to stage a coup and take back the thrones of hell.