Election Candidate: The Bishop of Southwark

He’s running for mayor. I’m pretty sure you can’t invade another country as mayor.

He has one position, and it’s not one he could actually enact. Makes him just another politician, really.

He’s running for mayor. I’m pretty sure you can’t invade another country as mayor.

He has one position, and it’s not one he could actually enact. Makes him just another politician, really.[/quote]
I meant that in a purely political sense. Now’s a good time to get the message out.

I admire the Bishop as a fighter, but I would urge people not to vote for him. His temperament seems to be rather… unstable. We wouldn’t want anyone prone to making rash decisions for our mayor, would we?

Yes.

[li]

Well, if he’s a poor mayor that’d irrevocably damage his cause… so i can’t help but hope that’s the case, and more celestial parasites are removed. Every such abomination removed is a victory of humanity, whether it goes to the apes or our own creations or the devils. They cannot be allowed to drain us so!
edited by Grenem on 6/19/2016

From what I’ve gathered, souls somewhat act as a sort of metaphysical emotional gland as well as a metaphysical freeloader. Making one feel more passionately, but also be less rational. They might be useful for poets and other emotional professions. But not for most of the populace.

“Such monstrous cynicism among so many! Shall we defeat hope and simply trudge on in the dark and the drunkennes and the damnation, dulling ourselves with wine and honey like fools as our masters strangle us more and more? Busying ourselves with fornications and distractions until another city falls on our heads? If we elect Jenny it would be childish nonsense to say that a London government is any way run by Londoners! If the Contrarian is elected, we shall endure empty speeches and no action! Are you all mad? Have we all lost our minds down here?”

I say we vote The Bishop on the basis that invading Hell sounds fun.

I think they are a drug like any other. Messing with our head, meddling with our thoughts. The only people who notice the loss are the ones who’ve been on them for years, and the withdrawal period is relatively short. I’ve met &quotsoulless&quot people who cared more, felt more, loved more than they ever did when they had their soul. I’ve met &quotsouled&quot people who felt virtually nothing.

The usually-brief period of withdrawal is brief, unless you deliberately make it worse, like some soulless do, ascribing excessive importance and believing it’s the key to your afterlife. Perhaps it is, but an afterlife of being quickly devoured by a star is not an appealing thought, or likely to be a long one.

What can the bishop do? Hell is our best bet for escaping this terrible fate, besides moving from london to some colony on an island. He will do nothing about the masters, and instead pick a fight with the next-most-powerful faction in london. He will do nothing about the threat of a new city, and a new war with hell, even if we win, will not get us out from under the bazaar’s thumb, or escape the next fallen city. It will waste energy better put to use figuring out how to escape when the sky falls, or how to prevent it from happening in the first place!

Doing something is only better than doing nothing when it is directed at least slightly in the right direction! This mad plot is not! It will make the duties of whoever does try to save london, or at least her people’s lives, far more difficult with both hell and the masters after us.
edited by Grenem on 6/19/2016

Hmm, no it doesn’t.
Have you not heard the accounts from those who tried to do that last time? It was not pleasant.

[quote]Hmm, no it doesn’t.
Have you not heard the accounts from those who tried to do that last time? It was not pleasant.[/quote]

Yeah, but this time the Bishop has a plan: SNAKES AND RACEHORSES BY THE THOUSANDS
edited by Kylestien on 6/19/2016

[quote=Grenem]
What can the bishop do? Hell is our best bet for escaping this terrible fate, besides moving from london to some colony on an island. He will do nothing about the masters, and instead pick a fight with the next-most-powerful faction in london. He will do nothing about the threat of a new city, and a new war with hell, even if we win, will not get us out from under the bazaar’s thumb, or escape the next fallen city. It will waste energy better put to use figuring out how to escape when the sky falls, or how to prevent it from happening in the first place![/quote]
Actually, if we did conquer Hell, that would provide people with a place to live besides London. When the Sixth City falls, the people in Hell would survive just as surely as the Tomb Colonists, the Zee Islanders, and anyone in Parabola.

As for all these silly lies devils will tell you, and which so many here are so gullible to believe, my dear friends the Bohemians have this to say about the wiles of Hell.

- YouTube

&quotIn the afterlife, you could be headed for the serious strife. Now you make the scene all day, but tomorrow there’ll be Hell to pay!&quot
edited by Beau Mercy on 6/20/2016

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Grenem]
What can the bishop do? Hell is our best bet for escaping this terrible fate, besides moving from london to some colony on an island. He will do nothing about the masters, and instead pick a fight with the next-most-powerful faction in london. He will do nothing about the threat of a new city, and a new war with hell, even if we win, will not get us out from under the bazaar’s thumb, or escape the next fallen city. It will waste energy better put to use figuring out how to escape when the sky falls, or how to prevent it from happening in the first place![/quote]
Actually, if we did conquer Hell, that would provide people with a place to live besides London. When the Sixth City falls, the people in Hell would survive just as surely as the Tomb Colonists, the Zee Islanders, and anyone in Parabola.[/quote]
Yes. But there’s a difference of magnitude between driving hell back, and making them leave london by hurting hell enough- possible, but implausible- and driving them out of their own land for longer than a year- hahahahahahahaha, oh, you were serious, hahahahahahahahaha- and yet another between doing that and it lasting for a decade - does there even exist someone that crazy after the last massacre? apparently so.

Besides, like you said- fleeing to zee is just as certain to lead to survival, and almost certainly easier. Sure, overpopulation will get to be a problem, but better that than perpetual war with hell- who still have technological superiority.

Any candidate who is willing to drag London, kicking and screaming if need be, towards a brighter tomorrow is the candidate for me.
Unless the Dawn Machine is running I think the other candidates will have a really hard time convincing me to vote for anyone other than this warmongering, Hell-hating lunatic!

If the Bishop is willing to fund the experiments in the labyrinth of tigers, he certainly deserves my vote.

Team Southwark assemble!

I thought I’d repost the portrait of the real Bishop of Southwark at the time of the election: the Right Reverend Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman-Biggs.

Who wouldn’t vote for a beard like that?
edited by Beau Mercy on 7/4/2016

So, I’ve decided to do a little bit of digging on all three candidates. My first task? The Good Bishop’s secrets.

Whether he knows it or not is quite the other matter, but it would seem as though he is being funded by several devils who are regulars at Dante’s Grill. if they are devils of note playing for power or a bunch pulling a prank is still unknown, but anyone voting for the Bishop under the pretense of kill the devils needs to think twice.

Hum, where did you get this information from?