Election 1896 has begun!

Should be available through an opportunity card.

Where are the options to gain Reputation through messages and/or gifts? I must be blind because I can’t find any way to progress in this election at all so far.

I don’t expect to max everything out day one but to not make any progress and to not be able to even find out how I can make progress is getting very frustrating.[/quote]

Agreed wholeheartedly.

I’m flipping cards for half day on 40 actions and 7 Favours for most factions and don’t have the slightest idea how these are used.

If I’m just (typically) unlucky with the RNG, can a kind soul tell me how the favours are used in this election? Can I afford to be spending them elsewhere or should I hoard the favours-making cards?

I got the Reputation card the second time and also the card of Mr. Slowcake.
The election cards are not discardable

[quote=Aardvark]

If I’m just (typically) unlucky with the RNG, can a kind soul tell me how the favours are used in this election? Can I afford to be spending them elsewhere or should I hoard the favours-making cards?[/quote]

It´s only the Reputation Card, where you can spend your Favours, but only one at time. It makes more sense to spend an item, if yo want to get a good amount Reputation/card

[quote=Meakuel][quote=Aardvark]

If I’m just (typically) unlucky with the RNG, can a kind soul tell me how the favours are used in this election? Can I afford to be spending them elsewhere or should I hoard the favours-making cards?[/quote]

It´s only the Reputation Card, where you can spend your Favours, but only one at time. It makes more sense to spend an item, if yo want to get a good amount Reputation/card[/quote]

Ah, the card. So it is just another mild case of RNG hate, then.

The game is rigged against us, I tell ye! It’s them devils, no doubt, scheming to sideline those who’d oppose this year’s puppet candidate they’ve planted.
We shall not go without fight, then. For the cause! For God and the Bishop!!!

Are there no free items this year?

Once you pick a candidate.

[quote=Rudiger]Are there no free items this year?[/quote]Looks like we’ll get one next week (June 25th) when we’re able to select a candidate to support.

Since I’ve only been in Fallen London for a little over a month, I appreciate that you can spend Making Waves to gain Reputation, since there seems to be little use for it otherwise. For the same reason, I know very little about the candidates.

At first I was intrigued by the mysterious Mr Slowcake, but I cannot support a candidate who dismisses persons of little notability. (Although I see that he’s a sockpuppet of Hell, but I do not know if that counts against him. All I know about Hell is that it is home to Devils, who have an adorable penchant for souls.)

I have never heard of the Captivating Princess, and restoring London to magnificence seems a noble, shallow, and harmless goal. I see her as the candidate with the potential to do the least bad, if also the candidate with the potential to do the least good. I am against voting for monarchs on principle, however.

I’ve been somewhat partial to the Jovial Contrarian for what few days I’ve been in London. Although I would otherwise never vote for a candidate who advocates for law and order, his epiphany seems sincere, and I would posit that his willingness to run against his own prior platform shows a certain flexibility of mind, that I appreciate.
edited by wrondo on 6/18/2018

Well, the RNG and I have made peace with each other and I finally drew the card. Now I’ve seen the options, I’m happy and can get busy gathering resources to have them ready to trade next time I see the card.

Delighted to finally be off to a start in the election!

[quote=Meakuel][quote=Aardvark]

It´s only the Reputation Card, where you can spend your Favours, but only one at time. It makes more sense to spend an item, if yo want to get a good amount Reputation/card[/quote]

I have yet to see any of the cards associated with the Election except a Polling card. Can you tell me (by PM or otherwise) what kinds of Items can be turned in to increase Reputation?

[quote=wrondo]Although I see that he’s a sockpuppet of Hell, but I do not know if that counts against him. All I know about Hell is that it is home to Devils, who have an adorable penchant for souls.)

I have never heard of the Captivating Princess, and restoring London to magnificence seems a noble, shallow, and harmless goal. I see her as the candidate with the potential to do the least bad, if also the candidate with the potential to do the least good.
I’ve been somewhat partial to the Jovial Contrarian for what few days I’ve been in London. Although I would otherwise never vote for a candidate who advocates for law and order, his epiphany seems sincere, and I would posit that his willingness to run against his own prior platform shows a certain flexibility of mind, that I appreciate.[/quote]
There isn’t much else to know about Hell. I mean sure there are history lessons and detailed lore, but none of that changes the core of what’s it about. Do you mind devils walking around London trying to con its citizens out of their souls (which has a very adverse effect on the victims’ wellbeing), and meddling deeply in all sorts of political affairs to further their ends? The answer to that question should guide you on your stance on hell.

The Captivating Princess has a few (very, very nasty) skeletons in her closet. I’m not going to spoil more here out of the blue, in case you want to inquire for yourself or even remain ignorant.

The Contrarian likes debates and arguments, and hasn’t been known to sincerely hold any opinion. He makes no secret of that, though. Chances are the only reason he’s adopted his stance is because it’s the opposite of what he campaigned for two years ago. Make of that what you will.

The contrarian also has ties to the Revolutionaries… so that might also inform how you feel about him and who might want him to be mayor.

So is the content currently card-based or something? Because at the moment it seems like there’s, er, nothing to do. What have I missed?

Yes, the content is currently card based.

Thanks. Nice to see that the RNG still hates me as much as I hate it. :)

I just realized the new format means no more case-note grinding. Woe!

I agree. That mechanic was a great way to generate a Celebrated Short Story without too much pain. That’s how my alt got her sacrifice to the well.
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/18/2018

It kinda sucks to hear that people are taking shots at the work ethic of the artists who did the candidate portraits, because I really like all three of them. Especially the Princess’s. She looks like a Disney Princess, and I love it because I’ve seen firsthand how monstrous she actually is.

And therein lies the conundrum for me, or at least my character, who’s opposed to the Princess for personal reasons, Hell for moral reasons, and the Revolutionaries for practical reasons. I’m probably going to throw my support behind the Jovial Contrarian, but largely just to stop the other two from gaining office. Just going off of my limited interactions with him, I really don’t trust anything he has to say. I think I’m gonna give The Calendar Code a purchase and see what else I can learn about him.

Another person who had no problem with the portraits (and yeah, the FL folk work their butts off.)
From a story standpoint, I’m delighted by the Captivating Princess and Slowcake being on the ballot (do we have confirmation that Slowcake actually exists? Because if he doesn’t, that’d be even more awesome.)

That said, for those who are dissatisfied with all three candidates, GregM will cheerfully accept write-in votes for Mayor. There is no in-game mechanism to do this, and I would not expect the Masters to permit any write-ins in-story, but it’ll be a moral victory… you can walk into the voting booth thinking, "darn, if I had the ability, I’d write in ‘GregM.’ He is not a vampire-like creature, not Satan, and doesn’t change his mind for random purposes.

GregM '96: Not literally Satan or a soul-eater.