Election 1896 has begun!

We talk a lot of what the candidates appear right now but that’s only right now. We still have two weeks of secrets and surprises of each. For all we know even the Princess could come out looking the most captivating candidate.
I’m eager to see how the existence of Slowcake is handled, what could possibly be the Contrarian’ closet skeleton this year, and in general the legal matters of the Princess even running.

I’m really fascinated that Mr. Slowcake is a candidate this year, given that last year devils seemed so involved with Feducci’s campaign, but then he appeared to drop them the second he became mayor. I wonder if fielding this candidate is reaction to that, to ensure the new mayor is actually cooperative.

Slowcake = Satan, Princess is taxpayer money wasting druggie, only okay choice is jovial contrarian.Lesser of 3 evils maybe ?

That’s his entire appeal!

I think that really depends on how you measure those evils. If the rumors that the JC is a Revolutionary are true, I’d rather support either of the other two than see the revolutionary cause advanced at all.

That is if I can ever get started in this election. I’ve no idea how to earn Reputation to advance my career. If it’s dependent on a card all I can say is in 5 hours of intermittent card flipping I’ve not yet seen it.

That’s his entire appeal![/quote]

D— could we not? Power To The People!

[quote=NinjaComedian]I think that really depends on how you measure those evils. If the rumors that the JC is a Revolutionary are true, I’d rather support either of the other two than see the revolutionary cause advanced at all.

That is if I can ever get started in this election. I’ve no idea how to earn Reputation to advance my career. If it’s dependent on a card all I can say is in 5 hours of intermittent card flipping I’ve not yet seen it.[/quote]

I haven’t either -_-
edited by Titamik on 6/18/2018

[quote=Captain Octavian III][quote=NinjaComedian]I think that really depends on how you measure those evils. If the rumors that the JC is a Revolutionary are true, I’d rather support either of the other two than see the revolutionary cause advanced at all.

That is if I can ever get started in this election. I’ve no idea how to earn Reputation to advance my career. If it’s dependent on a card all I can say is in 5 hours of intermittent card flipping I’ve not yet seen it.[/quote]

Neither -_-[/quote]

It is possible that they have temporarily removed that card. I could hardly blame them - I and two others have posted in the forum about a problem with raising your level as a (whatever) costing no reputation… or even giving it.

[li]

Î got the card once. I wouldn´t say, it is removed right now. Sometimes I need weeks for a card drawn up, that frequency is standard or even common

It’s hard to call it a rumor. The game literally goes out of character and tells you to play &quotThe Calendar Code&quot to learn more about the Contrarian. If it wasn’t clear from the title, the meat of the story consists of veiled descriptions of every member of the Calendar Council, and it is abundantly apparent that the Contrarian is one such person described.

The relative lack of people who morally not complete monsters is likely to favor the Contrarian. It boggles my mind that people consider him the lesser evil, but then again that’s the same reason I voted for Feducci last year, which it seems boggles many minds in turn.

The card has Abundant frequency apparently so it should be 5 times as likely to show compared to standard.

If there’s an issue with the card, then I can’t blame them for pulling it temporarily but I’d like to have seen any of the relevant cards even once so I have an idea of the activities I should be doing to prepare rather than have to wait for it to resurface before I can even get a clue how the election works this year.

I’m thrilled to see the candidacy of &quotMr Slowcake&quot, and am looking forward to pulling some Agitator shenanigans to support &quothim&quot this time around. The candidate special items available next week look very interesting as well, particularly the lantern – I’ll have to temporarily support the dear old Contrarian for a bit just to snag it.

I haven’t seen much in the way of election cards yet, but I do have a question: is there any way to learn more about the three candidates via Investigations and Flash Lays, as in previous years? I don’t see that option available anywhere. Is it on a card that haven’t drawn yet, or is this no longer possible?

I’m sure I’m talking for a lot of silent people who are quite happy with the portraits. I for one do think the Contrarian is very in-keeping with his previous depictions and his overall character. As for the princess, she looks very princess-y in her portrait, and definitely in a way she’d plausibly affect to lure electioners with the whole “innocent lovebird” seeking the sort of appreciation and attention her sweetheart had gotten last year.
Also, a Sunless Skies officer??? Whew, interesting times ahead!

What interests me more, however, is this year’s mechanisms. I still hadn’t had the good fortune to draw any card that would allow me to gain this Reputation. I take it the election currencies of the past years have been removed?

Is there any reliable way to help along your election carreer? Or are we completely at the mercy of the RNG?

And the election career choice mentioned favours; can someone explain how these come into play?

Thank you kindly,

Sir Reginald Monteroy

I miscalculated and set sail for the Court of the Wakeful Eye on Friday. Am I assuming correctly that the election has been paused, until some card issue is fixed?

It’s hard to call it a rumor. The game literally goes out of character and tells you to play &quotThe Calendar Code&quot to learn more about the Contrarian. If it wasn’t clear from the title, the meat of the story consists of veiled descriptions of every member of the Calendar Council, and it is abundantly apparent that the Contrarian is one such person described.

The relative lack of people who morally not complete monsters is likely to favor the Contrarian. It boggles my mind that people consider him the lesser evil, but then again that’s the same reason I voted for Feducci last year, which it seems boggles many minds in turn.[/quote]

It’s a choice between the open hand of Hell, a very literal monster and a revolutionary who has, as far as I could see, always been a moderating influence who doesn’t support things like bombing buildings to make a political statement. I may be wrong about that, but since he tends to spend his visible time attending society parties and writing arguments for and against things like Clay rights, he doesn’t seem likely to be a vicious person. If it weren’t for the very real possibility that other revolutionaries will take advantage of his position, I’d have almost no qualms supporting him over Slowcake or the Princess.

That said, I’ll probably work against him most of the time is he is elected.

[li]

Seeing as trying to get the Opportunity card is a complete waste of my time, I may resort to badgering other people via Messages and Gifts to gain Reputation.

The economy of Reputation-raising makes no sense at all. What possible reason would anyone have for spending Favours in preference to spending 2 CP of Making Waves for a single point of Reputation?
EDIT: Besides doing it just once to see the result text for each option, of course.
edited by hwoosh on 6/18/2018

Oh right, it’s the 18th already. Considering my character I’m actually not in love with any of the platforms that the candidates seem to run on this year though I know who I’ll pick based on spoilery knowledge… unless some interesting truths are revealed before I need to make my choice. I’m also going to mention that I’m one of the people who doesn’t interact a lot with other players so I’m quite happy this year is not going to be social action based.

And since so many people saw fit to comment on the art: my favourite of the three is that of Slowcake’s A., his smile is just so friendly, how can you not trust the man? I think the Captivating Princess is missing some kind of an edge, don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty picture and maybe my opinion is coloured too much by what I know since she is meant to be, you know, captivating, but I wish there was some touch of uncanny or something hinting at… things.

Edit: Oh, I’ve just noticed the reputation… I assume it’s a bug, I see a couple people mentioned it. Going to hold on further election interactions until tomorrow after work when I hope it’ll be fixed. I’d actually wish my career rank bumped down to 1 (assuming it won’t be done globally), should I write to support about that?
edited by ValentinV on 6/18/2018

New Items, option descriptions, and the associated stats!

Mr Slowcake’s Caducean Rose - Persuasive/Respectable weapon
A rose, recovered from one of the provinces of Hell, to intrigue, entice, and delight friends and foes alike.

The Contrarian’s Monochromatic Lantern - Watchful/Bizarre weapon
A marvel of modern engineering that shows the world as bright as day, or as dim as night. The friend of those lost in darkness, and those who find the light too bright.

The Princess’ Bees - Dangerous/Dreaded weapon
The Captivating Princess is donating a gift from Feducci to her supporters. Tear-drinking bees from the fabled Elder Continent kingdom of Huz.

A Traitor’s Carriage - Dangerous/Dreaded transport
The Election encourages fads for Revolutionary aesthetics. Travelling cages like those used to transport troublesome bourgeoisie can be seen on the streets of London. Ironically, of course.

A Gazebo! - Persuasive/Respectable home comfort
The Election has popularised the marquee. Expansive, portable and handily collapsible! Any good host’s secret weapon.

It’s also worth noting that the candidate-specific items from the previous two campaigns are now available for FATE!

Where are the options to gain Reputation through messages and/or gifts? I must be blind because I can’t find any way to progress in this election at all so far.

I don’t expect to max everything out day one but to not make any progress and to not be able to even find out how I can make progress is getting very frustrating.